What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Like with rods and jets or factory adjustments? The one I rebuilt a while ago was way fat on the secondaries, or was it lean? Ran like sh*t, either way....
The man that is helping me tune the car, and teach me some ins and out of racing is a highly respected tuner at my local track. He hooked up a vacuum gauge and played with the idle mixture screws and knew immediately that: Carb was leaking internally, vacuum was run incorrectly, and timing was off! He rebuilt the carb pretty much stock. we are playing with rods and springs at this point, but may have put a larger jet size in it.. The general consensus is that Holley would be a better choice (easier to change jets etc), but the Eddy was on the car, and it has been working well. I am amazed at what this man can do with a screwdriver and a vacuum gauge! That and reading the spark plugs is making the car more consistent. We are going to change the rods for the next race, I have run rods 7547 and a 7047, next rod change is to a 7042 which should richen up the secondary(?) He also showed me how to choose the springs for the metering rods by using a vacuum gauge and checking Idle vacuum ( in gear at operating Temp) which changes how and when the rods open/ close the jets to meter the fuel based on engine demand. I am sure that some people reading this already know these things, but I am fascinated by it. I have since been tuning the carb on my 83 EC SS to get it to idle better and run more efficiently.

Attachments

• 1405.jpg
    1405.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 1406.jpg
    1406.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 5 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I put a taillight in it because I was starting to forget I had a street car, not a demo derby special.
2A8B971B-2726-4815-8691-241669306D35.jpeg

Threw it in to make sure I set the height of the cutoff switch at the same level as the emblem. The new light will have a tube run through it for an emergency cut off.

Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm finishing up the bodywork so that isn't really reportable. The GP was sitting on uneven ground so I wasn't worried about the right rear sitting high. I parked it on a flat surface and the right rear is over an inch higher than the left side. I'm thinking I screwed something up putting that spring in last week. But judging how the left rear is sitting those 5413 springs are going to work out perfect.... :popcorn:

Reactions: 3 users

Jim H.

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Well I’ve been having issues with the steering so I checked all the bolts, steering shaft is a Jeep, new plastic part at the firewall, but when out driving her, she wants to wander especially when you hit a bump. Thinking maybe my front shocks went bad again? I have global west tubular a arms up front with 77 Olds cutlass spindles and willwood brakes all professionally installed. Seems like a lot of play in the steering wheel maybe the gear box any suggestions much appreciated

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Just received 6 more Cans of the Dupli - Color Universal Black today. I will have to order more as time goes on. Still no word out of the Shop as to the Labor cost and or possible engine replacement. I planned to give the engine a rebuild at least at first, now I am just going to go ahead and swap it out for a 350, won't be until around February that will happen though alot of saving has to happen which means bare bones basic's of living and no Holiday's IE Thanks Giving and Christmas spending.

What I wanted to do over the Summer is the body work, paint and rust clean up. I may have to just pull it out of the shop. Summer is going by fast.

Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Just received 6 more Cans of the Dupli - Color Universal Black today. I will have to order more as time goes on. Still no word out of the Shop as to the Labor cost and or possible engine replacement. I planned to give the engine a rebuild at least at first, now I am just going to go ahead and swap it out for a 350, won't be until around February that will happen though alot of saving has to happen which means bare bones basic's of living and no Holiday's IE Thanks Giving and Christmas spending.

What I wanted to do over the Summer is the body work, paint and rust clean up. I may have to just pull it out of the shop. Summer is going by fast.
Get it back home so that you can work on the body and other small things. When I swapped from a v6 to v8, I did all of the work myself, and I still spent approximately two grand. I used what I could from the v6, such as the old trans bellhousing, flywheel, even the clutch and pressure plate. I did change transmissions to a 5spd from a 3spd which meant 400 something dollars for a driveshaft, plus I went dual exhaust with x-pipe for another 600 something. It is conceivable that you could do it for 1000 or less, but it will mean that you get your hands dirty doing it yourself, or getting friends to help you. Good luck.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I checked the bolts for the lower rear contro arm on the passenger side and I over torqued the nut after making the frame repair. I backed the nut off and added some blue loctite to the threads and torqued the nut to 65 lbs. I redid the otheer side as well and checked the rest of the fastemers on the rear suspension. I did put the GP on flat ground to see if that cured the issue of the right rear sitting too high. Back to the torque specs for the 1/2" bolts I could not find any chart for the bolt torque when it comes to polyurethane bushings. The rear control arms are UMI so I send them a question on form on their website about the torque spec but no reply yet. I read on another forum where the consensus was the torque is 65 lbs for polyurethane bushings ansd we all know what you read on the internet is always correct....... :popcorn:

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I checked the bolts for the lower rear contro arm on the passenger side and I over torqued the nut after making the frame repair. I backed the nut off and added some blue loctite to the threads and torqued the nut to 65 lbs. I redid the otheer side as well and checked the rest of the fastemers on the rear suspension. I did put the GP on flat ground to see if that cured the issue of the right rear sitting too high. Back to the torque specs for the 1/2" bolts I could not find any chart for the bolt torque when it comes to polyurethane bushings. The rear control arms are UMI so I send them a question on form on their website about the torque spec but no reply yet. I read on another forum where the consensus was the torque is 65 lbs for polyurethane bushings ansd we all know what you read on the internet is always correct....... :popcorn:
Bonjour!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got all 4 trunk cage nut patches tacked in. gotta get at least four foot long pieces of all thread to line up the body mounts before i burn em in fully and make em nice.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor