What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time around sign up for AAA premier... 1 free 200 mile tow, 3 free 100 mile tows, and free service calls. Much cheaper than that one tow and if your daily is as old as what you drive is the only way to go with long distance trips and no friends to bail you out when stuck like that.

I'll add that when I had AAA their rates were not bad at all.

35° out here, crawled out to a little car meet.

20230204_080905.jpg

20230204_095317.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
The Oldsmobile guys might appreciate this one. I picked up 2 sets of these M/T Valve covers at the swap meet over the weekend. 2 Hardin Marine and a mismatched set of M/Ts as the olds guys know these are not easy to come by and are usually $$$$. 1 of the M/Ts was wrinkle finished and the other was bare aluminum and it was BEAT corroded, dirty and cracked on 2 corners. The cracks were easy to fix with some silver brazing rods after I scrubbed and cleaned the cover. I had 1/4 can of acid etch primer and a half a can of VHT Wrinkle paint on my shelf in the garage and thought "what the hell; I'll give it a shot.". I used a heat gun and that made all the difference in getting the wrinkles tight, let the paint cure for 24hrs and then I attacked the fins with some sanding paper. Now the Junk valve cover looks better than the rest!

The only thing I gotta do now is figure out where to buy or how to fab the baffles...
full

full

The bottom VC is 2x as good as how the middle one started 24hrs ago. Not sure what I'm going to put the Boat Motor covers on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It's been a busy morning. Aside from hazing errr helping mclellan83 with his monte problems, or trying to, I took on a small project, and, a BIG one.

The small project was easy - replace the rear bumper shocks on the SS. It's pretty obvious what the issues were.

20230207_113857.jpg

The bigger project was to strip the car wiring. As in ALL of it:
20230207_113927.jpg

Which also meant pulling seats, carpet, stained/sagging headliner, and, one piece of garbage, the heavily cracked dash:
20230207_114121.jpg

There were 2 cheap alarms spliced in:

20230207_114031.jpg

Whatever the heck this is, some kind of capacitor or I don't even know what... stereo related? I'm not a big system guy:
20230207_113958.jpg

It's probably 3" thick and 10 inches or so long anyways...

It also had about 20 feet of 1/0 wiring:
20230207_113948.jpg

And, perhaps my favorite wiring modification:
20230207_114028.jpg

The custom fuse.

No secret why I decided to just trash everything right? So, what looks to be a complete/intact full harness - front lamps, engine, main cabin, taillights, etc will be going in out of the spare parts pile. Luckily I saved them back when nobody wanted them yet in the 90s. The power trunk release will now be deleted from the car as the new harness doesn't have it and I'm feeling too lazy to extract it from the disaster harness.

There's other junk wired in that I neither recognize nor have seen before, but, maybe I'll try figuring it out(or, maybe the whole fiasco goes in a burn barrel to strip insulation and gets recycled as copper.

Reactions: 3 users
It's been a busy morning. Aside from hazing errr helping mclellan83 with his monte problems, or trying to, I took on a small project, and, a BIG one.

The small project was easy - replace the rear bumper shocks on the SS. It's pretty obvious what the issues were.

View attachment 215672

The bigger project was to strip the car wiring. As in ALL of it:
View attachment 215674

Which also meant pulling seats, carpet, stained/sagging headliner, and, one piece of garbage, the heavily cracked dash:
View attachment 215675

There were 2 cheap alarms spliced in:

View attachment 215673

Whatever the heck this is, some kind of capacitor or I don't even know what... stereo related? I'm not a big system guy:
View attachment 215676
It's probably 3" thick and 10 inches or so long anyways...

It also had about 20 feet of 1/0 wiring:
View attachment 215677

And, perhaps my favorite wiring modification:
View attachment 215678
The custom fuse.

No secret why I decided to just trash everything right? So, what looks to be a complete/intact full harness - front lamps, engine, main cabin, taillights, etc will be going in out of the spare parts pile. Luckily I saved them back when nobody wanted them yet in the 90s. The power trunk release will now be deleted from the car as the new harness doesn't have it and I'm feeling too lazy to extract it from the disaster harness.

There's other junk wired in that I neither recognize nor have seen before, but, maybe I'll try figuring it out(or, maybe the whole fiasco goes in a burn barrel to strip insulation and gets recycled as copper.
Careful taking that capacitor to the bedroom tonight:wax:, theres no coming back from that

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Careful taking that capacitor to the bedroom tonight:wax:, theres no coming back from that
Given your experience in the matter, I think you're just the man to own it :friday:

Let's add it to the 50 yuan. It's a gift that'll keep in giving. Just like the jelly of the month club

• Haha
Installed the junkyard bonneville spindle, new rotor+bearings. You best believe I greased them b*tches like my life depended on it, which it does. Also packed the driver's side as well. Drove up and down a few exits of highway, got out and felt the hubs, cool to the touch. Bearings seem happy. Going into Des Moines for the car's first actual alignment. It's always wandered a bit to the right, and I want to see what the sheet says.

Reactions: 1 users
Installed the junkyard bonneville spindle, new rotor+bearings. You best believe I greased them b*tches like my life depended on it, which it does. Also packed the driver's side as well. Drove up and down a few exits of highway, got out and felt the hubs, cool to the touch. Bearings seem happy. Going into Des Moines for the car's first actual alignment. It's always wandered a bit to the right, and I want to see what the sheet says.

Right side has less positive caster and/or less negative camber than left side. Or you have an extreme combination of cross camber/caster and one of them is winning the battle and pulling to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor