What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, but with triple the money, now you can buy her a nicer one 👍 (assuming she has no emotional attachment also)
Already debated that. Honestly, I bought it filled with junk, never expected the heavy rust, as a semi roller.

Debated/wanted to cut it up, but, she thought "those little knights all over it are cute. Can I have it?" So... I caved.

Stabbed a used 305/th350 in it. Fixed the floors at #4 by cutting out and replacing metal and 4"of the lower qtr ahead of the tires. Stripped the whole car electrical and tossed a used wiring harness I had in the parts. Hooked it all back up, got through seats in the interior so far. Swapped rear bumper shocks, swapped door hinges.

And thats it. It doesn't even have a dash pad since the existing one was fubar. :blam: also has no headliner, and, I have NOT repaired the body bushings. (Yes, guy who asked I told it all to.)

You might recall how ugly it was in the rusty car nominations thread. From a labor standpoint, I'd love to unload it. But, I'm leaving it her decision. I told her what he said, gave her the number, told her his price. Now I haven't said a word about it since beyond that if she wanted to she ought to call him today or tomorrow lest he find something nicer for his money :rofl:

Reactions: 86LK
They're gonna give it back with 1* of positive camber, tell you it's in spec, and send you down the road. Most of alignment shops suck and most consumers aren't discerning enough to notice. Post your alignment sheet when it's done, I'm curious to see how much cross camber and caster they give you.

Today was the first drive after replacing the entire front suspension & steering linkage. What a difference. I string aligned it & it feels right but it's going for an alignment on Monday. I already talked to the shop & they'll align to my specs. They pushed back on the negative camber - they want to give it a tiny bit of positive camber, but they'll do what I want & I'm going with -.25° negative.

I'm looking forward to next week, when for the first time I can just get in it & drive.

I had an alignment done a few days ago, here's the sheet.
Long story short, it still drives the same, still wanders to the right, but my wheel is centered now. So that's nice. I mainly did it for the specs. I guess it's a bit less "darty" at speed but what 40 year old car isn't at 80mph with 30mph crosswinds on the highway.
IMG_20230211_223222146.jpg

still an alignment's money well spent,you have a better starting point than before.
That was the goal. Got an employee discount too, $20 off.

Reactions: melloelky
I got on the subject with someone about finding an alignment shop that can actually cater to an older set up and do more than set the toe.cars have changed a lot since the days of adding shims.they're out there you just gotta shop around.

I got on the subject with someone about finding an alignment shop that can actually cater to an older set up and do more than set the toe.cars have changed a lot since the days of adding shims.they're out there you just gotta shop around.
The guys who set the alignment on Dad's Galaxie were older than him. They knew how to work on the car.

I had an alignment done a few days ago, here's the sheet.
Long story short, it still drives the same, still wanders to the right, but my wheel is centered now. So that's nice. I mainly did it for the specs. I guess it's a bit less "darty" at speed but what 40 year old car isn't at 80mph with 30mph crosswinds on the highway.
View attachment 215914

You went in with a trace of negative camber and those d-bags sent you out with positive camber. I wouldn't go back. It's pretty bad here too, I just about get into arguments with alignment techs. . . "I've been doing this XX years, how dare you question me". Oh? And I guess my 20+ years of driving and wrenching is worth nothing?

Reactions: Rktpwrd
You went in with a trace of negative camber and those d-bags sent you out with positive camber. I wouldn't go back. It's pretty bad here too, I just about get into arguments with alignment techs. . . "I've been doing this XX years, how dare you question me". Oh? And I guess my 20+ years of driving and wrenching is worth nothing?
I wasn't concerned with the camber aspect so much as getting it to stock. That's what I wanted, that's what I paid for. I drive the car probably 500 miles a week on the highway. I'll wait until ball joint and bushing time to fully dial it in.

Reactions: oldsmobile joe
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor