What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Looking at that seam, it almost appears like there was some of that factory seam sealer that the assembly lines used so freely that might have been embedded so deeply down into the seam between the inner wheel housing and the trunk pan, that the ospho may not have been able to eat it all out. I've had instances of that, where the quality of the seam as assembled was marginal enough that the assemblers disguised it by applying a very liberal layer of that pink goop, or black, or whatver was the color flavor of the day. Can recall having to use a hard blade gasket scraper and literally hammering it into the seam between the plug welds to knock the crap out to see what was behind it; (usually nothing good). Good thing Proto made them sturdy as that tool took a lot of abuse; still have it and it still will take and keep an edge.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Looking at that seam, it almost appears like there was some of that factory seam sealer that the assembly lines used so freely that might have been embedded so deeply down into the seam between the inner wheel housing and the trunk pan, that the ospho may not have been able to eat it all out. I've had instances of that, where the quality of the seam as assembled was marginal enough that the assemblers disguised it by applying a very liberal layer of that pink goop, or black, or whatver was the color flavor of the day. Can recall having to use a hard blade gasket scraper and literally hammering it into the seam between the plug welds to knock the crap out to see what was behind it; (usually nothing good). Good thing Proto made them sturdy as that tool took a lot of abuse; still have it and it still will take and keep an edge.

Nick
I stripped and resealed the trunk about 2 years ago, most of the factory stuff had cracked and was falling out of the joints.
My prep work must not have been good enough, even though I took 3 buckets of water to wash the trunk out after I treated it, then it was force dried with a torpedo heater. There was probably Ospho left that I didn’t get out of the floor.

I stripped and resealed the trunk about 2 years ago, most of the factory stuff had cracked and was falling out of the joints.
My prep work must not have been good enough, even though I took 3 buckets of water to wash the trunk out after I treated it, then it was force dried with a torpedo heater. There was probably Ospho left that I didn’t get out of the floor.
Seems weird how yours is like that while the trunk we pulled for my car still has good sealer & no signs of rust as of now.

Seems weird how yours is like that while the trunk we pulled for my car still has good sealer & no signs of rust as of now.
That’s because yours is infused with maple syrup and a Mounties’ spirit.

Mine’s the discount brand.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Which comment begs a question or two because both of you show as being from Pennsylvania. Is this a east half of the state versus a west half variation, or North/South, or a matter of bootleg maple syrup being smuggled across county lines for nefarious purposes? I do know that the food grade version of Maple Syrup can be used as the base for a rust remover solution. There is a 5 gallon pail of the stuff, that I purchased from my local farm supply dealer, sitting in my shop and waiting to be used for just that purpose; I just need a victim, er, test subject.

Nick

Which comment begs a question or two because both of you show as being from Pennsylvania. Is this a east half of the state versus a west half variation, or North/South, or a matter of bootleg maple syrup being smuggled across county lines for nefarious purposes? I do know that the food grade version of Maple Syrup can be used as the base for a rust remover solution. There is a 5 gallon pail of the stuff, that I purchased from my local farm supply dealer, sitting in my shop and waiting to be used for just that purpose; I just need a victim, er, test subject.

Nick
It was that most of the G's that was in th yard at that time were born in Canada & had cleaner/usable sheet metal than their US cousins.

It was that most of the G's that was in th yard at that time were born in Canada & had cleaner/usable sheet metal than their US cousins.
My Canada gbodies always ran better and stronger than their American counterparts too for whatever reason.

Reactions: 2 users
Well now that we've got warmer weather, I tried going to a local shop in my area just minutes away only to find out that he didn't even know I was coming for an appointment I put onto their website, which was something like a "Contact Us' section but you input your info, the work you want done etc, and send it off. I guess the sites "admin" didn't make him aware. I was going in for the exhaust, but setup an appointment at Meineke instead. Something interesting to note. The guy at the counter mentioned that as I passed by the front of the shop he's thinking I was in for Performance work, to him sounded like the 305 was cammed. . . The guy I bought the engine from didn't mention that, only that the engine was low miles 75k and I saw the 84' Blazer he pulled it out of, along with the 350 he put into the truck. . . It's possible. In the mean time I think I am reading my new Vacuum gauge wrong and I will have to mess with fuel and air mixture screws again. other wise It's running great! And started up after 5 months of sitting without need of having to fill the carb bowl.

Now for the Bad news. I have put in my 2 weeks with my current job. Which is really hurting allot as It was paying enough to allow me to save for the Malibu. But once Job Burn out hits it hits hard. I'll still be able to do somethings like I planned but others may have to wait a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Laying out my new trim installation project. Today i think i can get the shop warm enough to finish my vinyl trim replacement. The old trim glue ruined the paint underneath it, so i am going back on with wider trim to cover most of the damage. Now i have to figure out how to touch up the paint with out making this project bigger than i have planned on.

1681407992173.png

1681408043702.png

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor