What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
During the weekend I did a bunch of cleaning. I have been wanting to put my fender liners back in but they were hideous. I scrubbed them and took all the grime off. I then tried the old torch revival. I used this on black plastic trim with good results. I also took time to clean up up the 6 liter. I want to order a couple things so I can swap the short block over in place of the 5.3.
Describe the 'old torch revival' if you wouldn't mind.

Reactions: 1 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Describe the 'old torch revival' if you wouldn't mind.
Doesn’t let me upload a video so I posted it on YouTube 🤣
You can sometimes get away with a heat gun. I tend to have more success with a mini torch.

Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Doesn’t let me upload a video so I posted it on YouTube 🤣
You can sometimes get away with a heat gun. I tend to have more success with a mini torch.

Results may vary depending on the plastic involved. Sometimes you can turn the clock back & darken the plastic. There can also be areas that might still look 'spotty' as some areas can react different depending on the material thickness/amount of webbing (*At least that has been my experience w/using the torch to bring faded plastics back to life*).

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Results may vary depending on the plastic involved. Sometimes you can turn the clock back & darken the plastic. There can also be areas that might still look 'spotty' as some areas can react different depending on the material thickness (*At least that has been my experience w/using the torch to bring faded plastics back to life*).
Yea, I have definitely had times where it just makes it worse.
IMG_2893.jpeg
That ashy white part was from trying a few month back with just the heat gun. I just wanted to make these look a little better so I can put them back on and drive. Ultimately if I were to keep these I would like to paint match them. The real plan is something like this.I would like to do while I do the hot side so it can fit nicely around the down pipe.
IMG_8901.jpeg
IMG_8902.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yea, I have definitely had times where it just makes it worse.
View attachment 228254 That ashy white part was from trying a few month back with just the heat gun. I just wanted to make these look a little better so I can put them back on and drive. Ultimately if I were to keep these I would like to paint match them. The real plan is something like this.I would like to do while I do the hot side so it can fit nicely around the down pipe. View attachment 228255 View attachment 228256

DSPbuilt are those fabricated wheel wells shown above an aftermarket part that’s available through a vendor, or are they a one-off set that somebody built for themselves?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
DSPbuilt are those fabricated wheel wells shown above an aftermarket part that’s available through a vendor, or are they a one-off set that somebody built for themselves?
As far as I've found searching, (g-body/s10 specific) they're one-off built. That's why I started fabbing mine.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Those I found from a shop on Facebook. He mentioned making them and selling but I don’t think he did.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
As far as I've found searching, (g-body/s10 specific) they're one-off built. That's why I started fabbing mine.

Those I found from a shop on Facebook. He mentioned making them and selling but I don’t think he did.

Thanks gents. They’re damn nice, and if they were available in the aftermarket I would consider buying a set rather than modifying the used steel ones from an early Grand Am I bought to fit my Cutlass.
Looks like I’m sticking to plan A. Sorry to hijack the thread.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks gents. They’re damn nice, and if they were available in the aftermarket I would consider buying a set rather than modifying the used steel ones from an early Grand Am I bought to fit my Cutlass.
Looks like I’m sticking to plan A. Sorry to hijack the thread.
I've been looking into the B-body Caprice/Impala (78-88) versions for the Malibu as well (for a more OE appearance) because they're very similar in construction/installation as the Malibu's/Camino's (but taller in height).

I noticed them on a 'donk' ride @ LS Fest. Been trying to find a front clip locally since the Spring but haven't had much luck. I was hoping to play w/that before continuing on w/what I've done to this point.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor