What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Several years before I retired, the company I was working for was thinking about buying a company that supplied us with certain parts. I was one of a small team sent to look them over. Part of their manufacturing process used powder coating and I was fascinated by how powder coating was applied. Fast forward several (about 10) years to the middle of last summer. I was browsing the Eastwood website and saw their DIY powder coat system. Read some reviews and ordered the basics and some colors. Looked for over a month for an old stove and couldn't find anything under $150 (they are usually sitting at the end of half a dozen driveways less than three blocks from the house. go figure) Buying a manufactured one showed me how crazy some people are about what stuff is worth.

Anyway, I decided to build an oven myself. Got a brand new 55 gallon steel drum from a friend and had another friend help me line it and add insulation. We also built and insulated top from the lid. Putting an electric stove element in it was looking to be expensive and problematic, so we took and old crawfish boil propane burner and mounted it under the barrel, which we put on a rolling stand. I had read that gas was not a good way to cure powder coat so I kind "eased" into my first attempt.

I followed the prep and temp directions to the letter and was not thrilled by how the first piece came out. No shine or gloss from what was supposed to be a gloss black powder. On my second attempt, while the piece was already in the oven heating, my wife decided that life simply could not go on if I didn't immediately go get her a Smoothie. Not wanting to have to repeatedly explain how I got a big black eye from a 5' tall woman, I turned off the heat and went to get said Smoothie. The oven was at 240 degrees when I turned the heat off. This is just over 75 degrees less than the instructions call for. When I got back to the oven, the temp had fallen to about 140 degrees. I opened the oven to see how the piece looked in preparation for reheating it. To my amazement, the piece was perfect. A nice smooth surface and a great gloss.

So, I found out two things. The first one is that all of the posts you read about powder coating says not to use gas heat. (bull crap) The second thing is that you are much better starting at a lower heat than they tell you and checking your results during the process. Different materials to be powder coated have different heat levels to achieve the best results but none of it is set in stone and every oven acts differently. So far, I have powder coated about 5 pieces and they all came out better at a lower temp than I was given to expect. Also, using gas is not a problem, as long as your part doesn't hang to close to the burner/heat source.

I am now making a larger oven because the barrel just isn't big enough for most of what I want to coat. I will post some pics tomorrow and explain how I a m going about making it and what I hope the outcome will be.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Several years before I retired, the company I was working for was thinking about buying a company that supplied us with certain parts. I was one of a small team sent to look them over. Part of their manufacturing process used powder coating and I was fascinated by how powder coating was applied. Fast forward several (about 10) years to the middle of last summer. I was browsing the Eastwood website and saw their DIY powder coat system. Read some reviews and ordered the basics and some colors. Looked for over a month for an old stove and couldn't find anything under $150 (they are usually sitting at the end of half a dozen driveways less than three blocks from the house. go figure) Buying a manufactured one showed me how crazy some people are about what stuff is worth.

Anyway, I decided to build an oven myself. Got a brand new 55 gallon steel drum from a friend and had another friend help me line it and add insulation. We also built and insulated top from the lid. Putting an electric stove element in it was looking to be expensive and problematic, so we took and old crawfish boil propane burner and mounted it under the barrel, which we put on a rolling stand. I had read that gas was not a good way to cure powder coat so I kind "eased" into my first attempt.

I followed the prep and temp directions to the letter and was not thrilled by how the first piece came out. No shine or gloss from what was supposed to be a gloss black powder. On my second attempt, while the piece was already in the oven heating, my wife decided that life simply could not go on if I didn't immediately go get her a Smoothie. Not wanting to have to repeatedly explain how I got a big black eye from a 5' tall woman, I turned off the heat and went to get said Smoothie. The oven was at 240 degrees when I turned the heat off. This is just over 75 degrees less than the instructions call for. When I got back to the oven, the temp had fallen to about 140 degrees. I opened the oven to see how the piece looked in preparation for reheating it. To my amazement, the piece was perfect. A nice smooth surface and a great gloss.

So, I found out two things. The first one is that all of the posts you read about powder coating says not to use gas heat. (bull crap) The second thing is that you are much better starting at a lower heat than they tell you and checking your results during the process. Different materials to be powder coated have different heat levels to achieve the best results but none of it is set in stone and every oven acts differently. So far, I have powder coated about 5 pieces and they all came out better at a lower temp than I was given to expect. Also, using gas is not a problem, as long as your part doesn't hang to close to the burner/heat source.

I am now making a larger oven because the barrel just isn't big enough for most of what I want to coat. I will post some pics tomorrow and explain how I a m going about making it and what I hope the outcome will be.
you know what I got from this^^
no,not how cool powder coating is but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,he stopped what he was doing to run some futile non automotive related errand for the Mrs and because of this he's able to continue with his hobby seeing out of both eyes...
smart man...
smart crow GIF

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
you know what I got from this^^
no,not how cool powder coating is but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,he stopped what he was doing to run some futile non automotive related errand for the Mrs and because of this he's able to continue with his hobby seeing out of both eyes...
smart man...
smart crow GIF
Also, helping the Mrs improves access of the hand to said bush.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
guy GIF

The snozberries taste like snozberries
Seeing it written out it finally hits me... the etymological roots of the word is snoz aka nose, and berries.

Meaning berries of the nose.

Meaning boogers.

The druggies enjoy eating snot. By licking the glass that means he is either sampling the dried on snot of others who faceplanted the glass, or, k-9 units smearing snot on the partition.

That's weed/drug use for you! Super troopers PSA at its best.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Did some sawing, drilling and pulled out the REALLY got glue gun and melted them together.

1614349534766.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Lathe prep?

Yup. I used a pallet jack last time I moved it but I am putting in the corner in my garage and won't have room to slide the pallet jack out. Plus the pallet jack is my buddies so I won't have it all the time and I would like to be able to slide the lathe out from the wall anytime I need for maintenance/cleaning.

1614354142295.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yup. I used a pallet jack last time I moved it but I am putting in the corner in my garage and won't have room to slide the pallet jack out. Plus the pallet jack is my buddies so I won't have it all the time and I would like to be able to slide the lathe out from the wall anytime I need for maintenance/cleaning.

View attachment 169344

I think you need to build a rig like the Bad Obsession guys did to re&re the powertrain from their race support vehicle.

I am also very jealous.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor