Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Feeling my age", is a chronic condition
As one of my cohorts said, "Quit complainin- at least you are still on the right side of the grass....". So true. But being retireded if I need to spend a day in the recliner just sipping beers - I can. No one cares. And lately a day of wrenching usually triggers a short nap, or a day off to recover. Today the last batch of parts showed up so tomorrow is my last chance to finish this before the deluge.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Actually my hit nurse informed me that the tetanus shot could be given as frequently as every 5 years. I don't get to play in rust filled fields of rotting hulks as much as I used to so 10 years is fine by me. I did come close one time; had those little red lines running up my right arm from something that hated me. Took an emergency run and a tet shot and some antibiotics to do the deed. Doc said that had I been a day or two later, well things might not have turned out so well.

Nick

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
All done. Parts came in, I got a Walker Quiet-Flo stainless steel muffler from RockAuto for less than a cheapola could be had locally. No one had one anyway so if I had to wait for shipping might as well get the better model for less. I even upgraded the mounting nuts to SS versions since the OEM ones dissolved away. It sits a bit high at the rear but I know the coil over shocks are helping do that. I wanted more lift for towing anyway so I will let it settle and re-evaluate at a later date. So, new springs, new muffler, tail pipe, brake line, bumper stop, all in and working fine. IMG_0486.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So yesterday I brought the S-10 back into Bay One for Part B of its summer time. Put the back end up on the 5 tonners and proceeded to remove my summer tires, check their tread wear, and rack them in place of the winter shoes which came down to be installed. Pulled the drums to check the shoes once more and took the opportunity to clean up the drums a little and give them some paint. My "while I was there" was to do the same thing for the inner faces of the winter rims. Let the whole mess dry overnight and put it all back together this morning right after breakfast.

Went back in again after lunch and put the front end up on it 5 tonners. Slid underneath and replaced the other two of the 0-2 sensors. Took a ratchet and socket to the exhaust pipe couplings and head pipe nuts to check them for tight; still have a few more to visit.
Dropped the plug and drained the oil out of the oil pan into a catch basin; let that drip dry for a while. Changed the O-ring seal on the pan plug and put it back in, then pulled the oil filter.

I have gotten into the personal habit of pre-filling the filter with as much oil as it can take, depending on the vehicle in question. It removes that moment in the initial start when there is not oil in the filter and the engine is depending on what is still there until the pump catches up. Did that and then slid back under the truck, cleaned the surfaces adjacent to the filter boss, then spun the new filter on and wriggled back out from under.

Put 5 qts of Royal Purple 5/30 synthetic in the pan and checked the stick. Pulled the air cleaner element and gave it a bath. K&N makes the cleaning and re-oiling kit but it comes with so many warnings and cautions and instructions that you almost have to don a hazmat grade bunny suit and separate air pack to use i!!! The filter only gets serviced once a year and the kit lasts for three years or more, so I suppose there is some benefit to it all. Gave the filter a bath under the outside tap and left it on the tailgate to dry. I will soak it down again tomorrow and take the high-pressure air gun to it to make sure all the crevices are clean and dry before re-oiling it.

Last item on the present agenda is to shoot a couple of cans of 3M undercoating on the frame rails and crossmembers and various other sites. That will be a thing to do all by itself as once that stuff has been shot about the only thing to do next is to watch it dry.

My bonus item on the list was to mow the lawn and that was an, "it depends," as it depends on how I feel after the afternoon of addressing the list for the truck. Didn't feel too bad after some fresh saute beef and 'shrooms so the lawn got a hair cut.

For anyone thinking to themselves, "Winter Tires, WTF????" I am well past the point where wrestling the floor jack onto a dolly and bringing it around to the front drive to do the tire swap there is a fun thing to do in the cold and rain and snot. So they got done now.

Nick

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well it looks like the rain from down south hit jersey sometime last night. I've got to load Lexi's Camaro on a trailer and bring it to the shop. I guess I'm going to get wet

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I didn't get wet! Lol of course I still haven't loaded the car yet. I did however go and get my trailer from the building. I also realized it's the first time I've ever towed anything with this truck. It seems to tow ok but it's pretty hard on fuel towing. My car trailer is actually an equipment trailer with a 14000 gvwr so it's not exactly light. That's why I always buy 2500 trucks. Now for a quick shower and off to a band competition for Lauren. I'm filthy from helping move cars at the building guys are moving out and we are moving to a different bey there's a wall going up where my 87 cutlass is. I'm not even sure exactly what we are doing I just kinda followed orders so to speak. I'll know more tomorrow when I go back out there after dropping off the Camaro at work.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
For anyone thinking to themselves, "Winter Tires, WTF????" I am well past the point where wrestling the floor jack onto a dolly and bringing it around to the front drive to do the tire swap there is a fun thing to do in the cold and rain and snot. So they got done now.
We do think alike. Snow tires? What are those? Said the idiot stuck in the snow drift with "all season" tires. I use the GYP in winter so it gets the knobby Wrangler tires.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"All sneezin'", tires pretty much lose whatever value they allegedly have around the time the temp hits 0. The carcass compound is not formulated to stay soft below that temp. Dedicated snow tires, at least around here, come with a snowflake embossed on the tire as part of the actual tire body. They also have a wider, heavier tread pattern and some even come preloaded with shards of walnut shells for traction on ice. They used to use steel inserts embedded in holes punched into the treads when the carcass was being manufactured but the studs had to be put in before the tires were mounted and couldn't be retrofitted after the tire had time on the tread. Think a few also managed to spit out the studs which cost a few windshields. The walnut shells wear but apparently very slowly. Anything to keep the squirrels speeding in the dead of winter from kissing off a phone pole and suing the city for their own stupidity.

Took today a little easier as it was house keeping day for me. Did get out to the shop to pull an id code off my mini grinder to see if I could get some cut off wheel nuts for it but the search engine drove me nuts; kept trying to flog off shore junk instead of what I had written the search string for. MPITA. MEH.

So I just elected to dig out the HOG WAX and give the cabin and fenders a spritz and blitz. I like this stuff; originally scored it for my bike but it works very well on the finish of my truck. Puts a fresh seal on the finish against the cold and snow crud with which we are about to be blessed????

Nick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor