What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That is why no one uses my stuff, don't even care what their problem is. I am very selective on who uses what.

I had a 1995 Z28 I used to race, I used the Swaybars as the anchor points, front and back.

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
If I borrow something from my brother,car, trailers,or tools. It goes back as good or better. Though it was rather hard to put the rust that fell of a truck I borrowed once. Still went back with an oil change and full tank when done.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
That is why no one uses my stuff, don't even care what their problem is. I am very selective on who uses what.

I had a 1995 Z28 I used to race, I used the Swaybars as the anchor points, front and back.

The front lower control arms have holes my straps click right into. Out back I wrap around the axle. I'd hate to think what would happen to the car in a wreck with that rear bar being the only thing hanging on. Chaining the thing down would be a whole 'nuther animal vs the straps that I use. Gotta watch out for the brake lines when hooking the axle itself. One guy I know welded metal loops to the axle assembly to snap the axle hooks into, that was slick.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The front lower control arms have holes my straps click right into. Out back I wrap around the axle. I'd hate to think what would happen to the car in a wreck with that rear bar being the only thing hanging on. Chaining the thing down would be a whole 'nuther animal vs the straps that I use. Gotta watch out for the brake lines when hooking the axle itself. One guy I know welded metal loops to the axle assembly to snap the axle hooks into, that was slick.
I used a set of hole hogs in the rear rails to the chain hooks and up front a j hook on the right lower control arm being very careful of the abs wire and on the left front I used my one strap to the factory tie down on the rail by the torque box under the a pillar. Not ideal but effective.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I used a set of hole hogs in the rear rails to the chain hooks and up front a j hook on the right lower control arm being very careful of the abs wire and on the left front I used my one strap to the factory tie down on the rail by the torque box under the a pillar. Not ideal but effective.

Sounds plenty solid. Only thing I don't like about hooking into the body is that it moves when you hit bumps.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Have watched a few of the pro tow jockeys set up the ro-ro's and they pretty much as a rule of thumb cross strap the rear end. By this I mean that the chains or ratchets from the one side of the vehicle get sent over to the other side of the tow deck. This creates an "X" pattern that supposedly keeps the car or truck in place on the deck more securely. One of them commented, when asked, that it was something the DMV road inspectors looked for when they pulled over a hauler. Since the local pros get whacked with fines and demerits for infractions, plus they tend to get pulled over more; aka "special attention". The operators try real hard to conform to the industry standards. They seem to use "J" Hooks both front and rear cause you can grab the rear end tubes at the back and hook up to the crossmember or lower control arms at the front.

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Have watched a few of the pro tow jockeys set up the ro-ro's and they pretty much as a rule of thumb cross strap the rear end. By this I mean that the chains or ratchets from the one side of the vehicle get sent over to the other side of the tow deck. This creates an "X" pattern that supposedly keeps the car or truck in place on the deck more securely. One of them commented, when asked, that it was something the DMV road inspectors looked for when they pulled over a hauler. Since the local pros get whacked with fines and demerits for infractions, plus they tend to get pulled over more; aka "special attention". The operators try real hard to conform to the industry standards. They seem to use "J" Hooks both front and rear cause you can grab the rear end tubes at the back and hook up to the crossmember or lower control arms at the front.

Nick
Thats the only way I've ever trailered a car, corners crossed.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ

Nick
That's what I do when I have my straps but this time it was use what I can find and go.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
Removed a frozen kingpin/spindle (AKA Steering Knuckle) from my Cub Cadet 122. Had a buddy come over and spent 45 minutes heating the axle with an oxy-acetylene torch and beating with a 5lb sledge onto a brass drift. Long time since I had such an intense and difficult heat and beat project.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221005-120212_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-120212_Messages.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 17, 2017
I've mentioned our 1997 4Runner before, and had to do another upgrade last week. The original muffler finally blew out the entire side, so I put a 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo(pn#17748) in its place. The stock pipe is about 2-3/8" o.d., so a couple of pieces of 2.5" o.d. tubing, a little spread of the muffler inlets, and some 2.5" band clamps made everything fit nice and snug.
IMG_1998.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor