What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The only reason I'd consider a ecoboost expedition is that they are 7-10 grand less than a similar year and mile tahoe and it has the towing capability I want. Plus it fits in my garage unlike a long wheel base F150. If the expedition was available with the coyote I'd probably go for it over the f150. The tahoe, expedition chassis always seem to rust less than the similar F150/Sierra options despite them being the same thing. Honestly a short wheel base Gen3 Coyote 10 speed expedition is what I'd have ideally. The Ford user controls are superior to GM in my experience based on my wife's fusion.
It was painful to admit at the time, but, after our mustangs we bought a 2018 f150 because everything about it seemed superior to the silverados/Sierra when we visited dealerships. So I get it.
That's news to me on emissions testing. It's not a concern in MN yet (house keeps proposing CA emissions req. on new cars).
Most recent list I saw was this copied list job for you, and the 'cutoff' year where you had to have the package varies by state.

CO, CT, DR, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, NV, OR, PA, RI, VA, VT, WA, DC.

I've been paying CLOSE attention to that because we've been looking intently at land purchases in many states that made the changes.

If you lived there you never really noticed the changes. For example, if you bought a new gmt800 2500 series burb/yukon with the 8100 vortec you got 4 cats instead of two and a different flash, sensors, etc. But it was already there new.

But when you bring the car into the state for the first time, and go for your local inspection and emissions test, the underhood decal is a dead giveaway and the computer will know its not a CA limits pkg when its plugged in.
Did they make CA spec emissions, say 2016 tahoes? I assumed CA spec emissions cars stayed in the 80's.
Sure. Oddly enough some zl1 camaros and ss cars were considered not legal in CA for sale based on brake pads... interesting story. But sure, anything they want to sell in CA needs to meet the standards so anything with any volume usually has its own certification and version.
I know metro Atlanta has emissions testing, and even if it doesn't couldn't you just get the car in spec and it would pass?
I used to live outside Atlanta in different suburbs, to the north, to the east... now I'm in non-emissions country on the coast. Many manufacturers make two versions of cars, 'federal' tier and 'carb' tier. 3 of our mustangs were bought new in Georgia. 1 we drove to Charlotte to get the color and options I wanted. All are 'federal' and clearly didn't say '50 state'... for 2 years they're exempted anyways, but, they did diligently pass the GA standards.. which were federal, not CA.

Comparing to some California equipped cars at shows there were visible cat and exhaust differences, so, I'd presume o2 sensitivities and software tables varied as well.

I'm just keeping a weary eye on the whole shebang. One sister moved to CA back in the 1990s, and we spend a helluva time dealing with reliable transportation for her. It was how I learned the world of integrating out-of-market emissions spec vehicles and that you didn't necessarily just take any car anywhere you wanted. Same deal with non-title states, all that paperwork crap.

So, when it comes to our mustantmgs.....its iffy and depends on the state. Everything is electrified in records so some states dmv I hear will flag you at reg for deficient MSO. Others just want to test you and say you didn't make it.

It's a doable thing with worst case workarounds if you have the access, but, something that needs to be kept in mind

Nov 4, 2012
I always see you east coast and rust belt guys (Canadians too) posting these painful pics of rust. I realize that's it's inconvenient, but why not take a long weekend and fly south or west to drive something rust-free home? If the initial buy-in is about the same, wouldn't it be worth it just for the additional life of the body and frame?

I've contemplated it and almost did once. Although i would still consider it, it really comes down to being very inconvenient. Arranging flights, hotels, uber/etc. from the airport, then all of the plate/title/registration fees to transfer it back to your home state. I tried to buy a second gen Dodge from GA. I was gonna drive down and either trailer it back or have it shipped. Shipping costs were crazy too. The deal ended up falling through but it was gonna be a hassle.

For newer vehicles it doesn't matter a whole lot. Most don't start to get any measurable rust until they get around 7 or 8 years old and they can go longer than that provided they are well cared for. If you are looking to buy something 10+ years old, it is probably worth it to look south or west.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Cool. You guys enjoy your rusty junk. More good stuff for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Good ol Cerwin Vega, makes me miss my E315 surround sound setup

You def don't want me doing it
Car Mods Diy GIF by Supercars Championship
That is right haha. I am a sucker for their older lineups. The HED’s I got are great but can not quite compare to my late 80’s/early 90’s heavy *ss XL-10s though :/

Those things were 500 peak each and would pound REALLY hard, to the point where quarters on my Caprice would shake, and my tail lights looked like they were about to be blown out lmao.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I always see you east coast and rust belt guys (Canadians too) posting these painful pics of rust. I realize that's it's inconvenient, but why not take a long weekend and fly south or west to drive something rust-free home? If the initial buy-in is about the same, wouldn't it be worth it just for the additional life of the body and frame?
That WOULD be the goal.

However like you guys in the states, many people are still living paycheck to paycheck, COVID has made travelling difficult, and some people like me have been incarcerated so I will never be able to enter the United States ever again most likely.

Not trying to sound like I am complaining- but knowing this, the old saying still goes “make do with what you got”.

(Also it’s a flex to be able to do body repair like that, who doesn’t love making money lmao)

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
If you are looking to buy something 10+ years old, it is probably worth it to look south or west.
Exactly, theres tons of nice cars in Alberta and B.C. as well, so it’s not like the south is the only place lmao.

My Delta 88 was a barn find out in Gunn, AB and the only reason why it was even rusty was because there was leaks where it was stored.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
As beater cars go around here. You have to buy them when you find them. Usually not what you want, but nice cheep cars out there. I find cars 81cutlass would like all the time. Mid 90' Z34"s and Cutlass"s. On another note I got my trailer ramps made and primered yesterday afternoon.
20220410_202109.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
My back has been jacked up the last week or so kinda keeps me out of the shop. I did blow out my PC and wipe down my office area.
20220409_125037.jpg
20220409_123602.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The only reason I'd consider a ecoboost expedition is that they are 7-10 grand less than a similar year and mile tahoe and it has the towing capability I want. Plus it fits in my garage unlike a long wheel base F150. If the expedition was available with the coyote I'd probably go for it over the f150. The tahoe, expedition chassis always seem to rust less than the similar F150/Sierra options despite them being the same thing. Honestly a short wheel base Gen3 Coyote 10 speed expedition is what I'd have ideally. The Ford user controls are superior to GM in my experience based on my wife's fusion.
It was painful to admit at the time, but, after our mustangs we bought a 2018 f150 because everything about it seemed superior to the silverados/Sierra when we visited dealerships. So I get it.
That's news to me on emissions testing. It's not a concern in MN yet (house keeps proposing CA emissions req. on new cars).
Most recent list I saw was this copied list job for you, and the 'cutoff' year where you had to have the package varies by state.

CO, CT, DR, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, NV, OR, PA, RI, VA, VT, WA, DC.

I've been paying CLOSE attention to that because we've been looking intently at land purchases in many states that made the changes.

If you lived there you never really noticed the changes. For example, if you bought a new gmt800 2500 series burb/yukon with the 8100 vortec you got 4 cats instead of two and a different flash, sensors, etc. But it was already there new.

But when you bring the car into the state for the first time, and go for your local inspection and emissions test, the underhood decal is a dead giveaway and the computer will know its not a CA limits pkg when its plugged in.
Did they make CA spec emissions, say 2016 tahoes? I assumed CA spec emissions cars stayed in the 80's.
Sure. Oddly enough some zl1 camaros and ss cars were considered not legal in CA for sale based on brake pads... interesting story. But sure, anything they want to sell in CA needs to meet the standards so anything with any volume usually has its own certification and version.
I know metro Atlanta has emissions testing, and even if it doesn't couldn't you just get the car in spec and it would pass?
I used to live outside Atlanta in different suburbs, to the north, to the east... now I'm in non-emissions country on the coast. Many manufacturers make two versions of cars, 'federal' tier and 'carb' tier. 3 of our mustangs were bought new in Georgia. 1 we drove to Charlotte to get the color and options I wanted. All are 'federal' and clearly didn't say '50 state'... for 2 years they're exempted anyways, but, they did diligently pass the GA standards.. which were federal, not CA.

Comparing to some California equipped cars at shows there were visible cat and exhaust differences, so, I'd presume o2 sensitivities and software tables varied as well.

I'm just keeping a weary eye on the whole shebang. One sister moved to CA back in the 1990s, and we spend a helluva time dealing with reliable transportation for her. It was how I learned the world of integrating out-of-market emissions spec vehicles and that you didn't necessarily just take any car anywhere you wanted. Same deal with non-title states, all that paperwork crap.

So, when it comes to our mustantmgs.....its iffy and depends on the state. Everything is electrified in records so some states dmv I hear will flag you at reg for deficient MSO. Others just want to test you and say you didn't make it.

It's a doable thing with worst case workarounds if you have the access, but, something that needs to be kept in mind

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor