What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

Use the 10.9's if you can as they are the stronger of the two grades. Originally metric fasteners came in 8.8, about equal to grade 2, then 9.8, around a grade 5, and finally 10.9 which is supposed to correspond with grade 8.

The thing to appreciate here is that the cross is not precise in terms of rated strength. The other thing to bear in mind is that the harder the capscrew gets the more prone it is to snap rather than bend. You do get a higher torque tolerance value but the trade off for that is a loss of ductility. The last point is that, being wheel studs, the shown rating might be nominal and not honestly reflect the actual strength of the fastener. Given what wheel studs have to do for a living, strong is good, broken is not.

Nick

I know 10.9 is stronger, and was surprised to see 9.8 in there, but if it's factory I figure it must be up to snuff and they all went back in. I did intentionally install them so that the 10.9 was in every other hole. Boy was that fun drawing them in with a torque wrench! I finally went back out to the truck yesterday to put the brakes back on. Cleaned all the rust, grease, and funk out of the knuckle.

PXL_20240121_002736927.jpg

No after pic, but they cleaned up nicely and the hubs slid right in. Much better than how they came out. The rotors were thick enough I could have turned them, but I wrecked them by beating the snot out of them by removing the rotor/hub as a whole. Once they were back in with freshly painted heat shields I have no picture of (that I scrubbed every last spec of rust/scale off of last weekend), I plugged the wheel speed sensors back in and turned the key on. No more ABS light! I bought this truck back in 2016 and it's had a junk wheel speed sensor this entire time. Given the scope of disassembly required to change just that I let it ride. Feels good to check that off even though I hate this ancient 3 channel setup. Next I went to push the calipers back in. For as clean as I'd gotten everything else I wasn't thrilled at how brown they were. So much so they weren't gonna clean up with a quick swipe of a wire wheel. I thought about replacing them, then decided to keep some money in my pocket. Then the pistons wouldn't go back in on either side. I had a flashback to 2018 when I last did pads on this. I was down to the squealers and I had to pick up the Z06 from paint the next day. I was junking a wrecked dually like mine and it had like new crap-tastic pads so I slapped those on. I remember the pistons were really difficult to push in back then, well they were impossible yesterday. Not only that, they popped rusty brake fluid out the bleeder hole I always crack open when I do this as the nastiest of fluid always seems to live inside the caliper. Anyway, O'Reilly's had some reman calipers on the shelf so $100 later I was here.

PXL_20240127_010226428.MP.jpg

Looking much better than when I took it apart. I really couldn't beat the convenience of the reman calipers. New pistons, new seals, new banjo bolts/copper washers, fresh cleaned sliders greased, and they were painted to boot. Not my favorite color, but it'll keep the rust at bay as this doesn't really see winters in my possession. I have a pedal and no leaks, but I need to get it out from under the camper and go for a test rip to see how it does. I think I'll bring it home and DD it for a bit so I can deal with a few other things, weather is looking nice this coming week. The brake fluid is NASTY. I want to say I did a flush back in 2020? But the fluid color implies otherwise.

Reactions: Texas82GP and Ugly1
Makes me wonder the amount of stress the Wheel Bearings get from how that is designed.

I've got the little stud install tool, for car size. Scored it with a bunch of tools local for $100 from a guy. Some good stuff in here and ironically never used any of it since. 🤣

CAR TOOLS.jpg

Reactions: Ugly1
Makes me wonder the amount of stress the Wheel Bearings get from how that is designed.

I've got the little stud install tool, for car size. Scored it with a bunch of tools local for $100 from a guy. Some good stuff in here and ironically never used any of it since. 🤣

View attachment 234206

The dually wheel sits back inside a commensurate amount, so no more stress than if the spacer wasn't there I assume?

Yea, I know the actual tire rides the road pretty much under that Bearing given the bowl shape of that wheel. Probably where the stress goes and the Bearing is just subject to flat loading.

Rare 50 degree day in late January here in PA. Good day to wash all the road grime and salt off of the daily 's.

IMG_20240127_170434661.jpg

IMG_20240127_170458248.jpg

Killed me not to do the tires, but they will look like crap the next time driven.

Don't worry, they guys at Clyde will make sure they all need cleaned again. 😉

Are they short guys? That one storm, our road wasn't hit till almost 18 hours later!

You didn't mention it but at some point someone did a full fade-away on the front fenders. On a stock 36, the front fender would have ended at the firewall. In the pictures you posted, the side shot shows the front fender running completely back and shrinking in height as it does so before it dead ends at the beginning of the rear fender.

That is a post war custom body treatment that takes a Lot of work to do and get right. Basically those sponsons had to be shaped from sheet metal and then a subframe attached to the body to hold and support them. If done during the era, then it's a lot of brazing or heavy solder work as they did not have Mig or Tig to call upon. The seam and supporting struts where the sponson and body metal met had to be tight and strong or the extra weight could crack the seam, even though the body work was probably lead.

Back in the fifties, before lawyers and liability became endemic, the little books would often post how-to articles and showed how things like that modification were done. They got into details, which doesn't often happen much anymore because of publisher fears that some no-load will try to do what the article is discussing, break or damage something, or do the work improperly and get injured or dead as a result, and up pops a lawsuit.

The sharing of knowledge was one of the reasons the car clubs came to be; if you didn't know how to do something on your car, someone else in the club might and the knowledge would get shared. Sort of what goes on here, only we do it mostly by remote control, otherwise known as the forums.

Nick
Now you have to stumble on an old buck to pickup most of those “back in the day”. I was lucky and learned a lot from my dad and a large number of garage guys I knew. Most were 20+ years my senior. Now a lot have passed on.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor