What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
The garage cleaning that I started back over 4th of July weekend was my project for today. I pulled out all of the items that I stuffed back in at the end of the 4th of July weekend and did some more organizing and putting away in bins and on shelves. I also put the winter tires on the wife's Taurus, checked air pressure on them and the Caballero, and pumped up the nearly flat tires on the three non-running vehicles that I have in the yard as well. This morning was our first overnight freeze, so I also turned off the water to the outside plumbing.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
After I got home at 12:30am today I replaced the oil filter adapter gasket, modulator, and associated hose, as well as berating the balancer for trying to fly back to it's home planet without my permission.

I noticed something occasionally dripping while I was under there. I looked up.

I should not have looked up.

After I got done asking god why me and wiping the now dirty muddy coolant from my eyes, I looked up to see both (three?) passenger side core plugs leaking due to age/rust, etc. I aint fixin that sh*t this year.

Also talked my dad into installing a mint sherwood tape deck i got off FB marketplace while i was gone. lightly used in an 81 camaro, put back in the box. speakers are just some pioneer TS-X25s with new cones/foams. mounted on the floor behind the seat. sounds good enough. better than no radio, listening to the worst sounding v8 I've owned.

truckradio1.jpg

truckradio2.jpg

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Since the Monte decided it was time for more attention I took the GTO out the last few nights with some buddies
20201106_190531.jpg
IMG_20201109_081602_483.jpg

And because I did that I waited until yesterday to start on this so of course I didn't get it wrapped up, hopefully can get it done today
20201108_144741(0).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My side gig as some of you may know is CAD drafting scale models, 3d printing and assembling them for sale. One of the guys I know was asked to put together a new exhibit for the farm toy/replica museum and he asked a few people if they were interested in contributing a few pieces for the exhibit. I build essentially a mower for hay and mailed it to him. Got to see the setup for the first time this weekend so it's pretty cool to have something I built in a Museum!

1604934606373.png

I did the red/yellow piece by the shop.
1604934634576.png

Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And in other news my freinds 'roadbummer' I have been helping him on slowly over the past few years made some big, er, changes.

He bought a project 72 factory 318 auto car that had been modified in the 80's (paint, air shocks and cragars) and had a 383 put in it like 3 years ago. It needed some patch work in the quarters and front fenders and some underhood work along with exhaust and suspension rehab but it was a decent start.
1604934797891.png

1604935017804.png

Well I swung over by his place and the b*st*rd traded his project plus cash for a restored one without telling me! Haha! He actually called me a few weeks ago asking how to get the thing running better since the 2 barrel carter carb wasn't letting the thing idle and it died from the choke pulloff being too agressive. I talked through how to adjust the choke and he got it running way better so I was thinking he was finally getting the motivation to get the thing running again. I had found a rust free tank, spreadbore intake and rebuilt a holley carb for it with him. Turns out he just needed it running well enough to load it onto the trailer and convince the guy he traded that it ran well enough to chop off some on the price of the new one.

Honestly it was the better decision for him. He traded a nothing special 318 satellite (it did have buckets, console and ralley gages) with some rust for a legit 383 roadrunner pistol grip 4 speed in the exact color he wanted. The paint on it isn't perfect but it doesn't have any scabby patch work done and it's been restored for 5 or 7 years and still looks OK so they didn't bondo over rust for a quick flip. The guy he traded apparently said no trades but he responded well for a like for like trade and sounds like he took a good amount off the price for the red car. The guy he bought it from I think is just a Mopar nut and likes to restore stuff and it was an opportunity to save another one so it was a right time right place situation.

What he spent getting a done car is honestly less than he would have spent trying to get the one he had painted and in the end he ended up with a legit car vs. something that is kinda spliced together which although he doesn't care it's nice to have. Buying done vs. doing yourself is the right way to go in a $$$ sense and although it's not what i'm into, I told him he did the right thing.

It does need a few things (dumping the flex fan, putting a shroud in, getting some pesky dodge wiring to work) but it should be a nice cruiser for him. I am unsuccessful at convincing him to ditch the keystones for something else. I have to keep working on that :)

1604934938276.png

1604934983797.png

Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Psst...that Fiero wants a turbo Quad4 swap.

It already has a pretty nasty L67. Gen 5 blower, ported heads, cam, headers, upgraded 4t65 with posi. I built the fuel system and part of the exhaust with him. It ran like a high 12 when it had a stock l67 in it. My butt dyno says it's probably in the 11's.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got to working on further prepping the Mrs' Colorado for Winter. Swapping on the winter tires, fixing the beaten sway bar bolt, and giving it a good wash.

But there was something that has been bugging me for about a year: a weird oxidized snail trail running down the door from behind the DS mirror.

In all honesty I was expecting a small bit of aluminum oxide from galvanic corrosion on a bracket or fastener. Imagine my surprise when I found this:

IMG_20201109_140033.jpg

IMG_20201109_140044.jpg

IMG_20201109_140556.jpg

I called Natasha out to see it... the look of confusion was precious. Asking me if I "could just paint it" was one more reason to want to pimp-slap my FIL. I know she appreciates the work, just not the process; I am raising my girls better. An hour of scrapping, scratching, sanding, and dremeling later I had this:

IMG_20201109_150749.jpg

I slathered it in Krown rust-proofing and slapped it back on. What a f*cking nightmare, it really was as gross as it looks. Just 5 years old and already rotting from the inside out; the bracket/support is knackered. I can only imagine that the other side is just as bad. Thanks, GM.

This is how we end up with a TRX in the driveway.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Got to working on further prepping the Mrs' Colorado for Winter. Swapping on the winter tires, fixing the beaten sway bar bolt, and giving it a good wash.

But there was something that has been bugging me for about a year: a weird oxidized snail trail running down the door from behind the DS mirror.

In all honesty I was expecting a small bit of aluminum oxide from galvanic corrosion on a bracket or fastener. Imagine my surprise when I found this:

View attachment 161552

View attachment 161553

View attachment 161554

I called Natasha out to see it... the look of confusion was precious. Asking me if I "could just paint it" was one more reason to want to pimp-slap my FIL. I know she appreciates the work, just not the process; I am raising my girls better. An hour of scrapping, scratching, sanding, and dremeling later I had this:

View attachment 161555

I slathered it in Krown rust-proofing and slapped it back on. What a f*cking nightmare, it really was as gross as it looks. Just 5 years old and already rotting from the inside out; the bracket/support is knackered. I can only imagine that the other side is just as bad. Thanks, GM.

This is how we end up with a TRX in the driveway.

It'll probably rot just as bad. There's just no stopping it. Impressive nonetheless.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor