What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nice I can't get that stuff up here I use oak cherry and apple mostly oak

I remember those days well. We used to have lots of red oak, cherry, apple, beech, and sugar maple where I grew up. Still have all my sugaring equipment from when I lived in the berkshires. Who knows, maybe I'll get a place with some Sugarbush up there 5 or 10 years from now as a vacation place, do a Lil homemade sugaring in the springtimes...

My dad gave me an MS290 for a house warming gift in 02, and that thing is like a Swiss timepiece. The Stihl "yellow" chains are the shizznizzle- screw the Harry Homeowner greens.

I learned to cut with an old early pioneer saw. Didn't have a handguard left let alone safety stuff like working chain brakes. wouldn't idle for too long so you just kept goosing the gas every so often while the chain spun a bit unless you wanted to keep restarting it.

By the early 90s I moved up to a husqvarna 154. Had that thing for a couple decades, gave it up when I moved south. Bought a newer rancher series, wasn't as happy with it as the old saw.

Did a lot of looking and readin before deciding to give the Stihls a try instead. Might get something bigger from them based on how the 179 did...

Are Stihl products still hellishly hard to pull over. I liked my Jonsered chainsaws except the bars, the bearings were sh*t. The Oregon bars and chains were decent quality. We have zilch for fancy fruit trees up here, mostly the dwarf species. There is some plum and crab apple wild. Saskatoon berries are the most abundant wild fruit and Hazelnut's grow wild as well. I can tell you Oak, Ash, the white furniture grade wood and Elm will test how good a chain is and the Oak plugs air filters bad. I usually tried to find the Ash at my in-laws pasture, less mess, burned just as hot as Oak and easier to split. I used to sell it for $125 a truck load delivered, now a load of poplar goes for that easy.

I haven't tried or used their bigger saws yet. I can say the smaller stuff is so easy the wife can start it... and she isn't good at that sort of thing at all. If you believe the advertising it's supposed to be much easier than before.

I used to burn ash up north. some guys said it didn't burn so long, but we ran an old late 70s non-cat defiant for a woodstove. You fill that up with any hardwood and it's keeping you toasty for a while, doesn't matter too much what you choose.

If you really want to punish your chains, find some oak that's been dead for 10-15 years and cut that. Back when my folks built a house they logged their own land to clear, stacked a big ol pile of 18"-up red oak trunks, then just forgot about em and left em there. I went to move em over a decade later and only the outer inch or so softened... inside that hard as a rock. Tore through chains fast, and, it hasn't mineralized as you'd expect. Burned hot, started up quick.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Tatiana helped her Daddy wash the salt scum off the TBSS.

1524593902919.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Began installing a stereo in 'The Bus.'

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Had a neighbor comment on the fire pit I made when I took it home on Friday when he caught me in the driveway. He swung by work today with ideas of hiring me to make a half barrel fire pit with a spit. We mocked up an empty steel drum on the forks of the lift, some steel scraps for support and legs. He asked if it was big enough to roast a goat on ? I replied hell, we could roast a fat little piggy on there just to be sure ... dead silence as he shakes his head.. then she says " you know I am muslim right ? Why do you always make fun like this ?? " I lol'd,
He's picking up the steel and I will help him build his goat roaster :)

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Freshly refinished GMC wheels, in the back of a Ford, ready to go on a Chevy.

Message_1525104054361.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Pulled the Echo chainsaw and string trimmer out of the shed for the first time this year. The chainsaw started on the third pull on dirty, year old gas. The string trimmer probably would've done the same, but the gas in it went bad. It was thick like syrup. So I took the carb off and cleaned it out, and cleaned out the gas tank and the lines. Once that was done it started right up.

Then I took the chainsaw apart, cleaned it really well and sharpened the chain. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll pick up some 2 cycle oil and mix up fresh gas for both of them.

IMG_20180430_164128090-2672x2004.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor