What did you do to your shop today?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This is what you use for a driveway here in New England.
River rock will never stay put, one hit with the plow next winter and you'll have piles of it everywhere! Too smooth, won't pack.
Crusher fines are known locally here as "Sure-pack".
Doesn't really build up well because it's "fine" but packs like concrete and once settled in really doesn't follow you into the house.
We used what was called 'stone dust' by the local quarries. Might be the same thing. They were angular shap rocks, but they only averaged 1/2" on the long axis, often half that the other way and not very thick.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Aye-yup, too big to get caught in the cleats or tread of your shoes yet small enough that you can "borrow" the shovel from your kid's sand box and lay it down in small amounts as precisely as you need. I still have 3 or 4 pails of the stuff sitting on the quarter deck because the pads for the sidewalk for the garage still has to be completed.

That description of "stone dust" sounds about right. Physical size varies from as described down to literally dust. The dust itself is great for backfilling the seams between patio pavers. Once you get the seam filled and swept, a little bit of water or some rain and you are good to go.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Been hunting for a side box for a while to gain a little storage space.

Could get a new Chyna hobo freight box but I wanted something old. Crapsman doesn't make a side box anymore and couldn't find a used one. Menards boxes are nice but only come in grey, blue or green.

I just wanted a red one that was a reasonable price and fit my main box.

Finally found this late 70's Mac. Guy selling it said it came out of his dad's auto body shop so it's got some over spray on the doors and the tracks are all gummed up.

Need to spend a little time to clean up the tracks and regrease them.

Overall pretty happy. Got it for $100 less than a new hobo freight box. Plus I can flex on the plebes who don't have a Mac box.
PXL_20220526_020035439.jpg

Chyna Bad ;)

Canaderp good!
PXL_20220526_020101177.jpg

Pulled the bottom drawer

PXL_20220526_030031345.jpg

PXL_20220526_030036932.jpg

And ended up with a bunch of fittings, air hose parts and drill bits that were floating around in the bottom of the box!

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Bonus would be the ability to score new wheels for it from the Mac Tool Dude. And it already has the large dump drawer installed. With the double tracks shown it could be possible to replace the large single bin with two smaller ones, if or as needed. The overspray might come off with CFC free brake cleaner. "Made in Canada, EH"??

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016

Could get a new Chyna hobo freight box but I wanted something old. Crapsman doesn't make a side box anymore and couldn't find a used one. Menards boxes are nice but only come in grey, blue or green.

Finally found this late 70's Mac. Guy selling it said it came out of his dad's auto body shop so it's got some over spray on the doors and the tracks are all gummed up.

Overall pretty happy. Got it for $100 less than a new hobo freight box. Plus I can flex on the plebes who don't have a Mac box.
View attachment 199306

Chyna Bad ;)

Canaderp good!
View attachment 199307

Pulled the bottom drawer

View attachment 199308
View attachment 199309
And ended up with a bunch of fittings, air hose parts and drill bits that were floating around in the bottom of the box!
I still have my Snap on box that I bought used 44 years ago

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

View attachment 199306

Chyna Bad ;)

Canaderp good!
View attachment 199307

Pulled the bottom drawer

View attachment 199308
View attachment 199309
Just stop and think for a minute how many lost working hours all that stuff represents, first from a 'dammit, I KNOW I've got one of xyz in here' search then onto scrounging one up somewhere else.

• Haha
  • Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I bought a used Snap On off of Craigs list for $400.00 a few months ago. It is almost 6' high. I spent $125.00 on new runners, have to repair a drawer, cleaned it really well and put carpet from the house in the drawers. It is a beast. It will be nice to get all my tools in one place instead of 3

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Got the tracks cleaned up and slid into my main box.

But hokey but gained some room to put a dedicated location for my electrical stuff, and the blow molded low use tools (alignment tool, leakdown tester, fuel pressure gauge, brake line stuff)

Kennedy, proto, crapsman x2, Mac.

PXL_20220528_184108649.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did some more wire removal of the vintage wires plus got rid of the 2 prong outlets that won't cut it if I had to get inspected.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Added to my inventory of tools by one; my Tekton `1/4 drive torque wrench arrived this PM. Props to the vendor, it was in its own padded carrier that was placed in a vinyl sleeve and then in a sturdy cardboard box and came to me packaged in a padded mailer.

Tool itself looks more like a piece of jewellery than a precision device. Very nicely designed. The shop may not get a visit this weekend but looking forward to Monday and getting back to it.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor