What did you do to your shop today?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We were supposed to start working on packing up the garage at the old place today...

Annnnddddd....

At least one, and feels like 2, of my problematic/damaged discs in the back have other ideas. Chronic neck and back pain are par for the course as many of you know. But this time there's a noticeable swollen lump near the spine accompanied by the pain that cuts through the meds.

Then I asked the wife to move the yukon a couple feet so I can get to the door. Bad idea.

View attachment 200884

Tore open a nearly new $300 tire on a brick of all things. Old/highly questionable spare, plus, costco saying a nearest replacement is in Illinois and 3-4 days away.... well, that bodes poorly for moving the firebird this weekend as well as her moving small stuff ahead to the new house ahead of the movers.

Fortunately, our local discount tire manager where I got my pilot sport 4s from for one of the mustangs sold us a 'tire certificate' on the Costco tire then exchanged it under roadhazard. Just picked it back up.

So, garage move is in limbo. Not sure how well the better half can handle packing it up under instruction....
Hope you feel better soon. I was amazed you could lay that marble with your back trouble. I have some neck and back trouble so I fully sympathize. Again, hope you feel better soon.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We were supposed to start working on packing up the garage at the old place today...

Annnnddddd....

At least one, and feels like 2, of my problematic/damaged discs in the back have other ideas. Chronic neck and back pain are par for the course as many of you know. But this time there's a noticeable swollen lump near the spine accompanied by the pain that cuts through the meds.

Then I asked the wife to move the yukon a couple feet so I can get to the door. Bad idea.

View attachment 200884

Tore open a nearly new $300 tire on a brick of all things. Old/highly questionable spare, plus, costco saying a nearest replacement is in Illinois and 3-4 days away.... well, that bodes poorly for moving the firebird this weekend as well as her moving small stuff ahead to the new house ahead of the movers.

Fortunately, our local discount tire manager where I got my pilot sport 4s from for one of the mustangs sold us a 'tire certificate' on the Costco tire then exchanged it under roadhazard. Just picked it back up.

So, garage move is in limbo. Not sure how well the better half can handle packing it up under instruction....
We feel your pain on the tire. Saturday morning, my sister-in-law's Enclave was on a flat on the left rear, in the garage, in front of the compressor and all four tool boxes. I aired it up but it had a triangular piece of plexiglass, approximately 1/2" on all sides in the tread right at the inside sidewall. The car is a 2020 with relatively low miles (can't quote, but less than 10k). It was leaking so bad that I pulled it and sent my brother to Discount with it loose. The tire was predictably irreparable. It was a Continental and was unobtanium, on national backorder. $250 later, we have a mismatch Yokohama on a $65k car. What are you gonna do?

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hope you feel better soon. I was amazed you could lay that marble with your back trouble. I have some neck and back trouble so I fully sympathize. Again, hope you feel better soon.
Thanks, was/is a push through all the pain situation... for better or worse historically I had a very high pain tolerance, which, also came with a very high resistance to pain meds. Goes hand in hand I suppose.

I need to grab a pic of it finished, sealed, awaiting grout. That was another battle, I really need to update those events, just *trying* to get through movers today (Wed) for furniture and cleaned out by Fri.....

Also had began a 18x16 travertine setup in our fireplace living room. Made a picture in my head, cut the whole room worth of stone in a pattern, and, now it's a struggle to get it laid. (There's many jokes to be had in those last 8 words I suppose.)

We feel your pain on the tire. Saturday morning, my sister-in-law's Enclave was on a flat on the left rear, in the garage, in front of the compressor and all four tool boxes. I aired it up but it had a triangular piece of plexiglass, approximately 1/2" on all sides in the tread right at the inside sidewall. The car is a 2020 with relatively low miles (can't quote, but less than 10k). It was leaking so bad that I pulled it and sent my brother to Discount with it loose. The tire was predictably irreparable. It was a Continental and was unobtanium, on national backorder. $250 later, we have a mismatch Yokohama on a $65k car. What are you gonna do?

That's a tough break on the tire too. I remember when my wife's mustang was new, its was near the start of the s550 lifecycle and the factory tire was kept by.... nobody. She picked up trash and got an insane slow leak, also unremarkable, she had to take a day off work so a dealership could finally at least get her a tire over the weekend. Something about matching speedrated blah blah blah.

Is the enclave an awd type setup that she's going to need to get something matching and pay a second time when it becomes available somewhere? Wonder if something else uses the same tire to find a new take-off from someone upgrading.....

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
For every excuse we can get more creative.

If you're afraid of noise, let the neighbors join in the shooting. No more complaints.

If you're afraid of projectiles hitting neighbors house, shoot inwards from outside.

If you're afraid of hitting your stuff, move it out of the way first.

If you're afraid of rough edges, work down in caliber like sandpaper grit. By the time you go to .22 and .177 you're making a fairly smooth edge you can backfill the gap between that and your new casing with foam insulation.

Wood shrapnel is mulch.

Problems solved.
Chainsaw cuts and gives free sawdust for pets. If you hit any metal just press a little harder to help the dulled teeth. If neighbors complain have a little red pans drool out the hole. Then ask if they want to help

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Is 8 years of “getting to it “ to long? Finally started to move a wall to allow more room on the other side of the two car garage.(Have a chimney in between) so I have at least 12” to get in front of the truck with the door closed in the winter.
Other side has the G-body project. Much more important!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks, was/is a push through all the pain situation... for better or worse historically I had a very high pain tolerance, which, also came with a very high resistance to pain meds. Goes hand in hand I suppose.

I need to grab a pic of it finished, sealed, awaiting grout. That was another battle, I really need to update those events, just *trying* to get through movers today (Wed) for furniture and cleaned out by Fri.....

Also had began a 18x16 travertine setup in our fireplace living room. Made a picture in my head, cut the whole room worth of stone in a pattern, and, now it's a struggle to get it laid. (There's many jokes to be had in those last 8 words I suppose.)

That's a tough break on the tire too. I remember when my wife's mustang was new, its was near the start of the s550 lifecycle and the factory tire was kept by.... nobody. She picked up trash and got an insane slow leak, also unremarkable, she had to take a day off work so a dealership could finally at least get her a tire over the weekend. Something about matching speedrated blah blah blah.

Is the enclave an awd type setup that she's going to need to get something matching and pay a second time when it becomes available somewhere? Wonder if something else uses the same tire to find a new take-off from someone upgrading.....
Nah, it's a 2wd. I offered to try to find a match online, hopefully similar date code, but my brother has moved on. He doesn't like the mismatch at all but doesn't want to buy another tire. We had a few other unplanned expenses recently and it's set us back on our savings goals so he's in belt tightening mode. I really admire his willpower.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Is 8 years of “getting to it “ to long? Finally started to move a wall to allow more room on the other side of the two car garage.(Have a chimney in between) so I have at least 12” to get in front of the truck with the door closed in the winter.
If you had a "round to it" it may have gone faster

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Roughed in the bathroom under the lean to with a buddy of mine.

1657563947615.png

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Nope, I took about 6 years to crack into the drivetrain of my beloved Z06.

As for the shop, I ordered a 10k BTU DOE/14k ASHRAE portable AC for it this morning and it can't get here soon enough. The wife likes the house 76 in the summer, I don't. The garage faces the afternoon sun which is great for melting the driveway in the winter, but miserable in the summer.

• Haha

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
One more quick victory: I got my dad's old bench vise a few years ago and it's never closed all the way, so it's only been semi-useful. Tonight I went for it. There was a section of the threads that were wider than the rest, right where it'd hang up. I whizzed it down with the Dremel by eyeball best I could to no avail, so said F it time for brute force. It either finds its way or it's going in the trash. I nabbed the handle off my steel 3 ton floor jack, greased up the screw, and sent it. It got to the point I had to take my beer off the bench as it was squirming a bit. Eventually I got through whatever it was and was able to back it down by hand, so now I have a fully functioning vise which I need to split the rest of my torque tube apart to be able to press new bearings on. Brute force FTW!

• Winner

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor