What did you do to your shop today?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So, keep that and sell yours!

Neither of us have the space to store it sadly and moving it is a huge pain. Our limit on equipment is that it has to be moveable on a normal pallet jack which has a ~5500lb capacity. This new lathe was over 6000 and the pallet jack didn't have the balls to lift it. He has a mill, bandsaw, welder, drill press, my lathe, and normal tool boxes and as is it already takes up 2 garage stalls of his 4 stalls.

We found a used machinery dealer to sell it to so it will go to a good home. He got a ton of great tooling off it that was missing so it's overall a good buy, just bummer the lathe was too big.

Update- my buddy brought it to the local machinery dealer and they didn't want it. Couldn't find a home with a few friends either so sadly it went to the scrap yard. It was way heavier than we thought, 8300 lbs without any chucks or tool posts. Probably north of 9000 lbs in operating condition. Big MF'er.

Screenshot_20201116-100901.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Man, that's sad. That's an amazing piece of equipment.

Yeah it was hard to scrap something that made it 70+ years but it's almost impossible to find a home for these big lathes. It was going to be scrapped by the shop liquidators and my buddy gave it a shot and got it on the trailer and tried to make it work. Between me, my buddy, and 2 of the other guys that tagged along we have saved quite a bit of old equipment so it's a tough pill to swallow but there's some consolation that he tried.

There's more 70-80 year old machinists dying every year that are leaving fully stocked machine shops every year than there are 20 year olds like us buying their equipment for sure. I'd be shocked if 25% of these 40's-60's lathes get saved.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Neither of us have the space to store it sadly and moving it is a huge pain. Our limit on equipment is that it has to be moveable on a normal pallet jack which has a ~5500lb capacity. This new lathe was over 6000 and the pallet jack didn't have the balls to lift it. He has a mill, bandsaw, welder, drill press, my lathe, and normal tool boxes and as is it already takes up 2 garage stalls of his 4 stalls.

We found a used machinery dealer to sell it to so it will go to a good home. He got a ton of great tooling off it that was missing so it's overall a good buy, just bummer the lathe was too big.
If you find another like that, let me know.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Went out to top off my 2 5gal cans with off road diesel ($2.16/gal), brought them back, and plugged 1 in. Fired up the old DuoTherm downdraft, and burned the birds out of the chimney. The yellow light of death didn't come on, so that's good. I need to replace the controller with the solid state/hard reset button type my neighbor has. He's got one, and it would be in if the yellow light of death reared its ugly head.
20201118_175824.jpg
Back story: this module contains the yellow light of death. Once it trips (very sensitive), it's an absolute beotch to get restarted. You have to push the button for "3 seconds" to reset it. Good luck with that; I don't have "the touch", but everyone i know does!
20201118_180217.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
IMG_20201111_180708333.jpg
My bench area of my 1 1/2 little garage. One wall not finished inside so that I could use the 2X4s for small shelves. Behind the CPP mat is a mini fridge for "cold ones"

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Sunday I finally got my shop wired for 220 outlets.
20201115_130036.jpg
I have another one at the other end of the shop two. It proved not to be easy to find a 50 amp double pull square D breaker. I stopped at four different places and they have been sold out for months. Go thing I am friends with a couple Elections. My buddy Mason hooked me up. I finally got to play with my new welder.
20201115_130058.jpg
Mind you I was just messing with settings on dirty steel with a dirty mask. I can lay a nice bead if I want too. That dwell setting is a new one to me. I think it will do everything I want it too.
20201108_133045.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Since I am moving into bodywork mode again I needed to transfer my supplies (I can hear Rktpwrd laughing) from the gym into the garage. Lacking in shelf space in the faricobbling area necessitated grabbing some random junk and making a solution.

IMG_20201122_165658.jpg

Just need a damn ladder to bring it down.

Knock-on effects of stuffing an extra car in here.

In other news telling the Mrs. about how dangerous putting the Monte up on cribs was she decided to start setting money aside for a lift.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor