What did you do to your shop today?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Nice.

We're you going to have an indoor drain to wash any of the cars in the winter? Or do you guys suffer through thay beet juice mixture that stinks no matter what you do anyways?
We don't have that problem in my neck of the woods, but I have a drain in the front garage for that. This new build is shop work space only.

Reactions: 4 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
We don't have that problem in my neck of the woods, but I have a drain in the front garage for that. This new build is shop work space only.
Ahhhh...Western Canada. No beet juice or even salt. Just toss down some gravel and let mother nature take care of the rest. she usually gets around to it by April or so ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Hey fellow Twattonian - in rough numbers what is the estimated total for the build?

Foundation is $18/sq ft through the building supplier. That's a 6" slab, thickened to 24" around the perimeter and includes excavation, forming, pouring, finishing. rebar and perimeter insulation. Building itself was just over $37k including taxes. That includes R19 insulation, gutters/downspouts, delivery and the foundation design/drawings. But doesn't include man doors or overhead doors. So just about $31/sq ft.

I'm probably another $3k or so for underslab insulation and pex pipe for the radiant floor. ~$500 for building permit + another $1500 for a $%#@ing drainage plan that the city insisted on.

So yeah...the total is going to be more than I told my wife it would cost. Or almost $75k by the time I pay for doors and electrical.

Steel prices have gone up though. And stick built would have been cheaper by 15% on the building itself (foundation costs are the same regardless). But I would have had to go with 12' walls to have room for a lift. The clear span of the metal building means I can just clear a clear floor lift in the middle of the building. Plus the cost of the stick built was asphalt shingles instead of a metal roof. Doing a metal roof would have brought the price closer to that of the steel building. I also think this is going to be easier to assemble.

A couple other factors that influenced my steel building decision:
- I tried comparing the building suppliers foundation quote. I was only able to get one local company to quote and the earliest they were able to come would have been August (that was at the beginning of May)
- Local truss suppliers wouldn't even quote me. Barrette has right on their website, "If you're not a contractor, GTFO"
- Having the building supplier provide stamped foundation and building made the permit application easy. The only bit I had to do was the Site Plan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Foundation is $18/sq ft through the building supplier. That's a 6" slab, thickened to 24" around the perimeter and includes excavation, forming, pouring, finishing. rebar and perimeter insulation. Building itself was just over $37k including taxes. That includes R19 insulation, gutters/downspouts, delivery and the foundation design/drawings. But doesn't include man doors or overhead doors. So just about $31/sq ft.

I'm probably another $3k or so for underslab insulation and pex pipe for the radiant floor. ~$500 for building permit + another $1500 for a $%#@ing drainage plan that the city insisted on.

So yeah...the total is going to be more than I told my wife it would cost. Or almost $75k by the time I pay for doors and electrical.

Steel prices have gone up though. And stick built would have been cheaper by 15% on the building itself (foundation costs are the same regardless). But I would have had to go with 12' walls to have room for a lift. The clear span of the metal building means I can just clear a clear floor lift in the middle of the building. Plus the cost of the stick built was asphalt shingles instead of a metal roof. Doing a metal roof would have brought the price closer to that of the steel building. I also think this is going to be easier to assemble.

A couple other factors that influenced my steel building decision:
- I tried comparing the building suppliers foundation quote. I was only able to get one local company to quote and the earliest they were able to come would have been August (that was at the beginning of May)
- Local truss suppliers wouldn't even quote me. Barrette has right on their website, "If you're not a contractor, GTFO"
- Having the building supplier provide stamped foundation and building made the permit application easy. The only bit I had to do was the Site Plan

Thanks for the perspective, very much appreciated. We are considering building an extension to the existing garage for storage and woodworking shop for the Mrs. Fortunately my new neighbours are an electrician and work in concrete. Things are looking up around here. ;)

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything G-body related.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the perspective, very much appreciated. We are considering building an extension to the existing garage for storage and woodworking shop for the Mrs. Fortunately my new neighbours are an electrician and work in concrete. Things are looking up around here. ;)

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything G-body related.
(y) Will do. Maybe once I get this garage built I'll actually be able to work on my Cutlass.

I've seen your threads and the automotive Tetris you have going on. Yeah, you could use a bit more space

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Picked up this $360 off, $209. I also gained $50 Canadian Tire money. Now I have $100 towards another tire for my Dakota. I had the cart from my last welder, it really well made with bog pneumatic tires. It is a flux core welder, I always ran out gas and the speed knob was broke on the other one. I also have an auto darkening helmet that needs batteries, hopefully still works.
20210621_195824.jpg
20210621_195843.jpg
20210621_195848.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Got it dirty and gave it a good sweeping to catch and pick up all the floor dry that I had had to strew about to catch the ATF fluid raining down from my 350. Needed a clean floor or the T-mission jack won't roll smoothly. Did my scheduled snatch and drop on the 350 plus the lift and stuff on the 700R4. Did a third? ,fourth?, ?,? sweep and pick up on the floor and returned the tools to their drawers. Scrubbed most of the grease and crud off my hands (Anyone remember when good old greasy Kentucky Fried Buck-buck was the greatest engine grease and crud hand cleaner ever?) and drug my well beaten and tired body back to the house for a late meal. The whole skinny is posted on the Non G-Body thread for the curious or wondering.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Like the cart. looks like a genuine Prairie Works Farm and Foundry Implement Products Custom Special, exclusively designed to be strong and versatile for all needs and uses. Guessing the welder is a 140, good for fence work and in the field repairs when plugged into a gas generator.

Nick

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Like the cart. looks like a genuine Prairie Works Farm and Foundry Implement Products Custom Special, exclusively designed to be strong and versatile for all needs and uses. Guessing the welder is a 140, good for fence work and in the field repairs when plugged into a gas generator.

Nick
It is just a 80 amp. I only have 30 amps to my garage and 75 amps to my whole house.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Be surprised what the newer small amp units can do by way of versatility. You won't get 1/4 inch fusion ability out of one unless using multiple passes but even that is attainable.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor