What did you do to your shop today?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got these little f*ckers in the mail the other day.

PXL_20210624_230409634.jpg

Oh Yeah GIF

• Useful
Reactions: 11 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Slick. Did you have to drill out the base plates for the heavier studs or did they come pre drilled and ready to use? Source??

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hurricane 77, surprised to hear that your local truss suppliers were uncooperative to that degree although getting the right amount and sizes of some materials has become a monumental pita since Covid. I got quotes on 8' 2x4's this spring and learned that what used to be 2-3 bucks a pop locally was now 9-10 tax incl, and supplies were limited. Did manage to find a local independent that did offer what i was looking for at about 3+ per and came away with about 40 lengths but what I had in mind was interior wall grade lumber and I was perfectly willing to accept bark and coarse cuts because it was all going to get cut down for my cribbing project; pictures around here somewhere.

For high load bearing structural purposes, the wood has to be clean and free of knots and splits. Not being a pal to those truss dudes here. I went with prefab trusses in my own shop and spent over an hour with the designer creating and tweaking images to get the highest loft and widest span possible without having to build in columns. Sorry, no pictures posted, do have them. My trusses span 33 feet external and came with rafter tails long enough to be able to add soffit and fascia. The perimeter walls are 8 foot, build from 2 x 6's and sit on a 2 foot concret block knee wall. The peak landed about an 1/8 of an inch short of maximum allowable by local code, just shy of 13? feet.

All the best with your steel building project. Had that in mind for what I was after but the local city planning and building would have interferred just about every step of the way.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Huh. Princess Auto. just finished chatting with their branch in Sudbury about price and availability for Evapo-Rust. Looks like the 15 l pail is going to be cheaper than a case of 4 of the 3.85 l bottles. Easier too because, being here in Ontario, there are no provincial borders to deal with and no import restrictions due to Covid.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Saturday George unpacked the work truck, tossed everything on the shop dock, closed the door and turned out the lights. Monday George is probably gonna be upset

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Picked up this $360 off, $209. I also gained $50 Canadian Tire money. Now I have $100 towards another tire for my Dakota. I had the cart from my last welder, it really well made with bog pneumatic tires. It is a flux core welder, I always ran out gas and the speed knob was broke on the other one. I also have an auto darkening helmet that needs batteries, hopefully still works. View attachment 178325 View attachment 178326 View attachment 178327
Talking to my Daughter's Boyfriend who has the same welder mentioned it welds like turd with the heavier .035" wire and an extension cord. My shop might be considered one big long extension cord🤔. Basically a triple 12 gauge wire trenches from the hose 75 feet away. Hmm.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Got out the varsol spray bottle and hosed down the puddles of ATF that my recalcitrant 700R4 had piddled on the floor while being prepped for a new TVS cable.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Brought some North Side ghetto engineering to cap my unusable chimney pipe on the garage.
DSCN4130.JPG

A painted metal bucket, two 9' chains, pair of small locking D rings, & a pair of pipe clamps. Cheap, quick, ugly & done.

Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Brought some North Side ghetto engineering to cap my unusable chimney pipe on the garage.
View attachment 179117
A painted metal bucket, two 9' chains, pair of small locking D rings, & a pair of pipe clamps. Cheap, quick, ugly & done.
Need to paint a face on the bucket

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor