What did you do to your shop today?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
did you splurge and get the stainless top too?
I did. But I didn't get a top unit for now. I'm not sure if I'd rather more drawers, or, have the hood with the led strip where I can work on things.

Imagine a world where you have good lighting, can disassemble a carb and start working on it, then walk away, shut to door, and not worry about any parts getting knocked away or messed up? So hood is attractive, just not sure on extra drawer space being better?

I figure next sale I'll buy side cabinets and make up my mind then on what I feel will be more useful up top.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I did. But I didn't get a top unit for now. I'm not sure if I'd rather more drawers, or, have the hood with the led strip where I can work on things.

Imagine a world where you have good lighting, can disassemble a carb and start working on it, then walk away, shut to door, and not worry about any parts getting knocked away or messed up? So hood is attractive, just not sure on extra drawer space being better?

I figure next sale I'll buy side cabinets and make up my mind then on what I feel will be more useful up top.
if this is for your garage, spend the money on drawers. hutch is best for a professional shop use.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
if this is for your garage, spend the money on drawers. hutch is best for a professional shop use.
Maybe I should ask the wife what she thinks about me ordering enough pieces to assemble this monster?

slide_1.jpg

I mean, I'm 20% of the way there if you just count the number of pieces involved.... but nah. Probably need another set of 54s to the left. I'm a big fan of symmetry

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's for personal use, for now, but, my wife and I have had conversations about opening up a business in the future.

First up it's about finally making the garages and shop into something like how I want it. I've got a LONG list of stuff I need to buy - either because it was stolen, because I'm working with old/worn stuff, or because I haven't had it in a while.

It'd be nice to try my hand at welding again too. Haven't really done much since high school so it'll almost be learning all over again. It was decades ago but I don't remember being all that great at it then.

Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Like ck80, I also took advantage of the sale at Harbor Freight, I purchased their largest bench top drill press, and got a rain check for a 450# transmission jack.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Well, I don’t have a shop – that’s why I did what I did. And it is a shop kind of thing. I do all my automotive work in a carport. All of my car-working tools, except for one, are stored in my basement, which is enough of a pain on its own. The one tool that is stored in my shed is my 3-Ton Daytona Long Reach Low Profile Jack. The Jack weighs 103 lbs. My shed is more than 100 feet from my carport and carrying that behemoth of a jack back and forth between them just ain’t happening anymore. I needed a better method of transport.

I looked at lots of wagons, carts, and hand trucks, but none of them seemed to be the right solution. Wagons and carts are flat, take up a lot space, and I’d still have to hoist the jack on and off of them. Hand trucks seemed better as they take up less floor space, and the jack could be strapped to one for upright storage; however, the bottom plate is just that: a flat plate with nothing to prevent the jack’s wheels from rolling/slipping off.

Then I discovered the Chicago Electric Gas Welding Cart at Harbor Freight. All the benefits of a hand truck, plus it has a tray at the bottom to prevent the jack wheels from rolling off, and a large pair of wheels and tires to make hauling it across the lawn even easier. Because the tray is deeper from front-to-back than I need for the jack, I fabricated an insert from some scrap wood to give the jack wheels just enough room to fit without rolling around or sliding side-to-side and a little spot for the end of the jack handle to sit in. The insert fits snugly enough that I didn't have to bolt it in or modify the cart itself in any way.

To put the jack in the cart, I lay the cart face-down and roll the jack into place, cinch the tie-down strap, and stand the cart upright (much easier than hefting the jack up onto a flat cart.) Getting the jack out is just as easy: the lay the cart face down, release the strap, and roll it out.

Here are some photos. The first was shot from my carport to provide perspective on how far away the shed is from the carport. The rest show the cart loaded up and ready to roll.
IMG_6135x-vi.jpg

IMG_6136-vi.jpg

IMG_6137-vi.jpg

IMG_6138-vi.jpg

IMG_6139-vi.jpg

IMG_6140-vi.jpg

IMG_6141-vi.jpg

IMG_6142-vi.jpg

• Creative
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Brought some North Side ghetto engineering to cap my unusable chimney pipe on the garage.
View attachment 179117
A painted metal bucket, two 9' chains, pair of small locking D rings, & a pair of pipe clamps. Cheap, quick, ugly & done.

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did some cleaning & parts sorting. Tried to chop the old furnace exhaust pipe but the zaw saw blades were taking a beating on that old iron. Thankfully half of it is rustd away.
Call joesregalproject

• Haha
Nov 4, 2012
I was thinking that it might need his skills.

I haven't sawed a car in half in a while... :ROFLMAO:

Oh sh*t, you gotta check out this badass **** we have at work. It's a level up.

I'll post pics later today.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor