What fiberglass hood?

pagrunt

pagrunt

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 14, 2014
Shelocta, Pa
Does anyone notice the fit changing when there cold and when the sun is beating on them (fiberglass)
The old Harwood I had never had an issue weather or temps. At times I thought it was more ridged than the original steel one.

B

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look in a 5" glasstek or possibly a 6". I could only find a 6" at unlimited fiberglass, but from what I've researched they don't fit very good.

565bbchevy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to look in a 5" glasstek or possibly a 6". I could only find a 6" at unlimited fiberglass, but from what I've researched they don't fit very good.
Are you getting a lift off hood or a bolt on?

B

Bomber24

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2016
Are you getting a lift off hood or a bolt on?
Haven't decided...leaned towards bolt on beings its gonna be a street/strip car, but not set on them yet.

abadwillys

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
I had a Harwood 3" cowl Hood for a number of years, but it always had a bow in it on the Pass side, tried once to straighten it, and only made it slightly better, it was finished nice underneath tho, I put a new 4" Glastek Cowl on last year, it fits real nice.
I like Bolt on Hoods 'specialy for a street strip deal

Z

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
I didn`t have very good luck with Unlimited .The quality and fit just were not there.Either GlasTek and or Harwood are good choices,

B

bracketchev1221

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2018
I wouldn't go any higher than you absolutely need to. It cuts down on your vision on the street.

R

RG383Hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2015
I have a Glastek 4” cowl bolt on hood. The fit was good and there was very minimal prep work for paint. Harwood would be another good option.

565bbchevy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I didn`t have very good luck with Unlimited .The quality and fit just were not there.Either GlasTek and or Harwood are good choices,
Years ago I bought a Aero scoop from Unlimited not only did the front opening look like they cut it with hacksaw and went into the outer edges they sent it in a cardboard box with no packing at all and the sides were worn down into the fiberglass strands, since they wouldn't do anything for me I decided to repair it instead of paying to ship it back plus a very high restocking fee.

Last edited:
Injectedcutty

Injectedcutty

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Years ago I bought a Aero scoop from Unlimited not only did the front opening look like they cut it with hacksaw and went into the outer edges they sent it in a cardboard box with no packing at all and the sides were worn down into the fiberglass strands, since they wouldn't do anything for me I decided to repair it instead of paying to ship it back plus a very high restocking fee.
My bolt on cowl is from Unlimited, and the fit and finish was poor to be honest!!!! It required WAY too much prep time, and it's still not perfect! Not to mention the threads to mount it are too small I believe compared to a stock hood. I had to modify a Jeep pop up spring to work as the hood didn't come with any provision for one.