What the hell could i have done wrong in my life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pencero said:
Just declare bankruptcy in the IRS face and be done with it. Life's too short to be driving back and forth to court and lawyer's offices with a migraine trying to argue vs. the IRS
Do you ever think before you post?

DO NOT file bankruptcy dude. If your not guilty then don't give in. It sucks but you can fight it and win. My brother is 20 and has had his identity stolen twice now. He had all sorts of random things showing up and almost had to quit college to straighten everything out. Just do your homework and everything will be fine.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
What are you talking about do I think before I post. Most IRS agents won't care if his identity was stolen or not. Not everyone is a 'good' person like you. They don't care if he's guilty or not. Therefore, why should he? When your identity gets stolen your credit rating still suffers regardless. Unless he has thousands upon thousands of dollars in the bank and no debt he has nothing to lose and everything to gain filing bankruptcy to avoid driving back and forth to court for the next 4 years of his life wtf... what does he 'win' if he proves some guy stole identity. He doesnt win a damn thing.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pencero said:
What are you talking about do I think before I post. Most IRS agents won't care if his identity was stolen or not. Not everyone is a 'good' person like you. They don't care if he's guilty or not. Therefore, why should he? When your identity gets stolen your credit rating still suffers regardless. Unless he has thousands upon thousands of dollars in the bank and no debt he has nothing to lose and everything to gain filing bankruptcy to avoid driving back and forth to court for the next 4 years of his life wtf... what does he 'win' if he proves some guy stole identity. He doesnt win a damn thing.
Like I said my brother went through this twice in 3 years and came out the winner both times. His credit is good enough to get loans to buy 2 vehicles and pay for his own college. It will not be difficult to prove that the OP didnt make $250k last year and will be even easier to prove he doesnt owe a million dollars in taxes. With technology the way it is when it comes to buying things online identity theft is only getting more and more popular because it's easy so its not as strenuous to fight compared to years ago. There is no need to financially **** yourself for the future when you're not guilty.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
83MONTESS is right. Do not declare bankruptcy. First thing, taxes are not dischargeable on a bankruptcy, so they can still come after you anyway. I know people who have gone through this. It's time (actually a lot of time), even more patience, but you can come out on top. Take a moment, gather yourself together, and start looking for a good tax attorney. Start doing as much of the work as you can on your own. I had an attempt at stealing my bank info a few years back. I am a controller (which is a level higher than bookkeeper) so I am always on top of bank stuff. I caught it almost as it happened, notified the bank, police where it took place, police in my town, and the places the transaction were happening. The result was everyone working together, the stores gave the video to the police on the spot, the people where caught, and I had the thousands they took from me back in my account that night. From there I was out of it and the bank handled it. Do as much legwork as you can to investigate who did this, and how. Put stuff together, make a timeline, call anyplace you now of they bought stuff from, get descriptions, video, anything (you'll need to contact local PD to get video - most stores don't give it up easily). If the places are local however they may let you come down and look for yourself - I've been able to do that before when researching possible embezzlement for clients. The more you do, the easier it will be for a tax attorney to represent you, and the less it will cost. He's going to do all this stuff anyway. I am working on a similar case for my neighbor now - not identity theft but they claim he owes $13k in back taxes. It's an obvious IRS error. They make mistakes too.

Good luck - don't give up, and fight the system!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
:oops: perhaps bankruptcy laws differ slightly in other states. Accountability for the quarter mil would be virtually nil around here. Filing bankruptcy only prevents a person from owning major assets for 7 years. That sounds like a long time but fresh out of college putting savings away - its really not even a long time at all...

I completely understand your guys point of view objecting to my cheap shortcut solution because it would make a person look 'guilty' in court. I wouldn't worry about the OP b/c he didnt even answer my post so it sounds like he is going to fight the case. I suppose my advice was not very helpful but it would definitely be the way to go in Chicago every time where the IRS agents don't care if your identity was stolen and like to get 'continuances' and stretch a case out 3-4 years and even schedule meetings they have no intention of showing up to to waste your time and get you mad so that your likelihood of agreeing to a settlement increases with every passing court date. In a place like Chicago where time is money and traffic sucks I would never waste my time huffing and puffing back and forth with white collar crooks in front of an indifferent judge who gets paid whether I win or lose my case either way and also doesn't care if my identity was stolen and just wants someone to pay the bill. I guess that's just me. Lets not forget that every time a person is standing in court when they were supposed to be at work they are losing money, by the way.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't care what the rules are for bankruptcy in his state. It would be ridiculous for him to file bankruptcy for a debt that is not his. And lets say he did file bankruptcy, that does not stop the person who has stolen his identity to rack up more debt in his name. Are you going to suggest he file bankruptcy every few years?

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Im not filing banckruptcy. i will just fight it and take care of it. like many of you guys have said it will not be challenging to prove that it was not me claiming those figure. i will take care of it. it just may take awhile.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
pontiacgp said:
I don't care what the rules are for bankruptcy in his state. It would be ridiculous for him to file bankruptcy for a debt that is not his. And lets say he did file bankruptcy, that does not stop the person who has stolen his identity to rack up more debt in his name. Are you going to suggest he file bankruptcy every few years?

You are 100% right - by filing bankruptcy you are admitting the debt to be yours but you cannot pay it. Doing that will never clean your name for something you didn't do. I've represented clients in bankruptcy court as their accountant, both business and personal. They ask you flat out how you came into the debt and why you won't let it happen to you again. So get angry, and fight back. You'll come out on top. Just stay strong.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Well I certainly wish a forum member the best in his endeavors. I certainly wasn't suggesting a person declare bankruptcy on multiple debts repeatedly. Let's not forget the IRS and the police are separate institutions. It's the police job to catch the perpetrator and not the IRS. If the police don't prove your case for you by catching the thief, you are going to have to put a lot of footwork in yourself! My recommendation to declare bankruptcy seems stupid unless you are assuming that the perpetrator is going to be caught. I was assuming that he most likely will not be caught... :puke:

Most people who steal id's are foreign and avoid prosecution for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor