What to check on a used transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I found a t200r4 that's been out of use for 15 years. I know this transmission was working when it was pulled.
Should this thing be completely rebuilt or is it worth gambling on installing it with new fluid and filter and seeing what happens? It has been in covered storage during the past 15 years.

Another question. When digging in the junkyard, other than checking the condition of the fluid, what else should be considered when looking for a good useable transmission.

I'm cheap!

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
If you're on a very tight budget, install a new filter, wipe out the pan, put in new fluid, along with some Lucas trans stop leak, you're gonna need that to condition the seals..once you get it in, take it for a nice, long drive. As far as looking for a good used trans: check the fluid to see if its clean red, yellow, or burnt looking..you want one that has clean red, normal smelling fluid. You dont want one with nasty or burnt smelling fluid. Then check the pan for excessive shavings or sludge.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
After you do what Evan said I would add a drain plug to the pan. B&M sells a drain plug kit for pans pretty cheap.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for the replies. This one looks clean inside. I was concerned about the time it has spent without being used.
Fresh fluid and filter is on the list.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
A lot depends on the type of trans, the condition of the fluid, and where it was stored.... Some transmissions were duds from the factory, but most older GMs are pretty well made and if they were properly maintained and not overly abused, will last much longer than expected. Heat is the killer of all transmissions, so if you know that the car overheated or had a bad engine, its possible the trans got too hot and was likely neglected as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor