What would you do with this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The roof damage is a little scary, but how is the car otherwise? Is the underside rotted out? Does it have any real rust on it in the floors or elsewhere? If it is a salvageable car, I would probably do the paint and interior first, then worry about the drivetrain. That way, if you get cold feet, the most important parts are done and it will be easy to sell on for a decent enough sum. I also tend to see the SBO as an easier swap than the SBC ( and I have an SBC in my 85 Cutlass) as it lets you retain most of the original brackets, mounts, wiring, plumbing, etc. I don't have a problem with using a Chevy in an Olds, but I do realize just how much work it is to do it properly.

Scott183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2010
North Shore, Massachusetts
3XBrownCutty said:
keep it olds powered first of all, or if you want you can give it to me. :lol:
It's a little to light in color for you, don't ya think 3X?? Maybe if we mix a little Hershey's syrup in the paint will be closer to what you're looking for.:rofl: JK bro, brown has never been what I conider an appealing car. You and one of the other cars I've seen on the forum happen to pull that color off real clean!! Wish my ride looked that good!

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The roof damage is a little scary, but how is the car otherwise? Is the underside rotted out? Does it have any real rust on it in the floors or elsewhere? If it is a salvageable car, I would probably do the paint and interior first, then worry about the drivetrain. That way, if you get cold feet, the most important parts are done and it will be easy to sell on for a decent enough sum. I also tend to see the SBO as an easier swap than the SBC ( and I have an SBC in my 85 Cutlass) as it lets you retain most of the original brackets, mounts, wiring, plumbing, etc. I don't have a problem with using a Chevy in an Olds, but I do realize just how much work it is to do it properly.

Actually what's funny is you're car happens to be the reason I found myself over here. I found you're article in a google search for putting an SBC into a Cutlass! :D
Other than the body damage pictured, the car is the cleanest g body I've owned since '94. I paid $700 for it a couple of years ago, and felt I stole the thing from a friend of a friend. When he first bought it, and brought it around, everybody told him I'd end up with it eventually. :rofl: The 307 is misfiring bad, burning oil, and I just have no desire to put any money into it. I wanted to build something scary fast that I can go out for a weekend cruise with the wife or Weds. night at the drags occasionally.If I was building a show car, Olds power would have to be my choice, I'm just building a FAST TOY!! Do you know of a SBO I can build for around 3k, and make close to 500hp? Besides SBC parts are cheaper because of the unlimited companies that make power products for them.

Scott183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2010
Blue215 said:
If you have the window trim and deck piece to a non vinyl top cutlass I'm interested in them.
Yes, I do. I will send you pics in the morning

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
i need a good set of grills. the type with the vertical bars, like whats on yours.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I say look for another Cutlass in good condition with or without an engine and work on that one and drive this one (if it's your daily). Then paint the interior and exterior on the bought one the way you want. Then turn this one into a race car or get some cash together and get the bodywork done. That roof damage does look brutal but nothing a welder and metal along with some bondo can't fix :lol:

On second thought I just saw that this is your 5th G-body Cutlass. Why not take the roof section from the stock car Cutlass and build this one? It looks really nice other than the damage.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't understand why everybody is so bent out of shape about the dent on the roof... :?

From a bodyman's perspective, that's an easy fix, and it sure doesn't involve any metal replacement.
Should only take a few hours to repair.

The hardest part about a job like that is getting the right paint color and blending it in...

Scott183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2010
Not being a body man myself, it made me a bit "bent" about a proper repair on the roof. Good pun, Blake! My buddy is an excellent bodyman, and feels the same as you "no big deal". As far as blending body color, not a problem, I never intended on keeping the tan color. Now I'm stuck between the metallic grey used on t types w/ all the chrome turning to black, or completly blacking this car out similare to the FE3X car I've been drooling over for years (minus the gold stripes and ground effects). Don't get me wrong the car is plenty savable. You could eat off the floor boards and frame rails. Everything wrong is simply cosmetic not structural. I'm about 90% convinced this car will be my keeper. The damage just slowed down the process to my ultra ride. It will be tougher to sell, because the 307 is about to quit completely. I can barely move it out of my shop everyday. I think this year my focus is powertrain, so I can have something to blow off steam in. 500hp under the hood should help resolve a lot of the stress in my life. :mrgreen: I told my wife this was going to be a long term project. I've given her 14 yrs of commitment, I owe at least that to this marriage, right? :rofl:
Thanks for all the input guys.

Scott183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2010
maliburacinfreak said:
i need a good set of grills. the type with the vertical bars, like whats on yours.
Sorry malibu, the only thing I have left for grills is another set like this.
June10thHomeCameraDownload025-2-1.jpg

Please let me know if you're interested via pm. Out of respect for the website I don't want to clog up the wrong forum with parts for sale. PLENTY of other parts availableThanks Scott

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Hey hello . Nice ride . not bad to repair if have time and I know you have parts .

In the northeast normally car would have been totaled . Not bad thing I had a SS that was totaled 3 times still on the road .Like he said because of condition they will fix it.

But here in PA anyway . these r just a 20 plus year old car $3000 car (the insurance CO. think) . I went to a Set value plan because of how little they will pay .

What every you decide a clean car is har to find . Color is trivial ,motor can be changed ,etc.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor