Whats the best brake upgrade when using stock spindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Easiest to install on stock spindles would be oversized piston calipers. While aluminum calipers do weigh less they also flex more than cast iron calipers, its a trade off.

I went with the USBrake,now AFCO,oversize metric calipers several years ago.
With those I bought a pair of Summit Racing slotted and cross drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads.I also put a set of Russell braided brake lines on at the same time.
This combo works great for me,I've never had and issues bringing my 650 HP BBC to a stop.
Here is a link to my brake upgrade project;
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I should also mention that my Ford 9 inch rearend came with huge drum brakes,they were considerably bigger than the stock brakes.
This also made a big difference in the stopping power.
Guy

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Reactions: 1 user

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
Ok currently i have a G body lift spindle to fit the 24 inch wheels, and i decided to go with the blazer setup. Will a lift spindle from blazer work the same for corvette brakes? Or do anybody even make lift spindles for the 2wd blazer?

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I went with the USBrake,now AFCO,oversize metric calipers several years ago.
With those I bought a pair of Summit Racing slotted and cross drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads.I also put a set of Russell braided brake lines on at the same time.
This combo works great for me,I've never had and issues bringing my 650 HP BBC to a stop.
Here is a link to my brake upgrade project;
Guy
I'm considering this ^^ on my car. I'm glad to hear from someone that has done this and it worked out well.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm going to express my love for drop spindles here. Personally, I like having suspension travel, 2" lowering, and full length springs and shocks. I cut springs and landed on bumpstops, once; didn't like it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor