What's the best deal you got on a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I'm not sure if it's the economy or good CARma , but lately I've been finding stuff real cheap or getting them for free. In the last six months I've gotten a rolled 05 E350 news van and a F250 4x4 for free. Even junkyards have been good to me. I found a 78 el camino with a stick and got every single piece that has to do with the manual set-up for $100. That same junkyard gave me an aluminum radiator support because I was buying some other stuff and they had no clue why it was so desirable. He also sold me a kingpin Dana 60 for $150 and a bucket of chicken. If I wasn't going to use that axle on my mud buggy, I could probable sell it for $1500 on craigslist.

I found a front end wrecked '86 Elky with gray interior once at the junk yard. The dash was busted and someone had ruined the bucket seats and center console. Even so, I got all the interior trim (including the lower door panels), the back understorage space cover, and some of the rear half hardware for $60.00.

Since I have a Monte, I sold all the rear stuff on Ebay individually for almost $400, and kept all the front stuff for my car. I did end up selling the lower door panels to someone much later, but I still have some of those parts and the under dash pieces in particular were a super sweet find I didn't even realize Montes never came out of the factory with. Those are in the '87 holding in all the electrical guts I added when I restored the car.

my best on this car so far was the wheels that are on it. They are true billet specialties wheels. Bought them off of Ebay with the tires mounted on them for only 600.00. I believe ONE wheel at the time we bought them retailed around $215. The guy that was selling them was not crunched for cash ha he just wanted rid of them. It was awesome

a full mint header panel with the grill for a '79 and headlight bulbs 20 miles away for $.01

i wound up calling the guy up and telling him i wouldn't give him a penny for his parts, and asked him what kinda beer he drank. i showed at his door a few days later with a case of beer and he loads me up with the header panel, a radiator core support with the air dam, a set of mint inner fenders and a heap of interior trim.
a few days after that he shoots me an email telling me that the guy who won the auction on the fenders is whining about shipping costs, so he has a set of mint fenders for $150.
so i got all of the above parts for $150 and a 12 pack of bud light.

Quite a few years back when I still had my 80 GP, well right after I bought it. The 301 needed a new cam. I didn't have much cash and couldn't afford a new one. So I went to a swap meet with a buddy and there was a guy selling a new 268H Comp Cam for Pontiac 350-400, still in the box. With lifters for $40.

I didn't know if it would work with my 301. But I was desperate and it was such a good deal. Well fast-forward a week later. I had stuffed that cam in there and the little 301 ran better than any other 301 I have seen before lol. That's about the best deal I ever got lol.

First of all I got into this whole g-body thing when my girl was interested in GN's. I looked at to no avail.. all cars that were in nice shape were big $$. 🙁

1) I ran into a lady who had two g-body Regals on her property. I asked her what she was going to do with the cars, she said nothing. They were her dad's (he passed) and now she just wants them to go away. She said I could have both for nothing.
So needless to say, I was the proud owner of 2 Buicks. On was in pretty bad shape from an open window for about two years.. so the car was pretty rotted out. I took all the trim and body parts that were still decent and junked the rest.
I began to strip the other car and in the process of putting a 454 BBC and a 8-71. 😱

2) Why a 454? Well another great deal, I got a 1972, 4 bolt 454 and a TH400 trans, 12 bolt rear for less than a grand. Someone needed to make room in his garage.. 8)

3) I got a new black carpet and GN Rims and Caps for $200! The guy lost interest, and another guy needed the room in his garage. 😀

4) I looked high and low doorskins for my regal.. nothing around for a decent price.(about $500 a door).. A friend at a local salvage yard told me that a regal just came in and the doors looked great, the only thing is that the local fire company wanted the car to cut it up and practice popping doors off.. I said hold on.. ran down there with cash and paid $200 for both doors ,panels, glass, mirrors and hinges!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

So far.. this is a great experience..

)just about everything on the regal has been at really good deals....guess it doesn't hurt that I'm CHEAP! :wink:

the 2 best deals got on it are:

1) the car itself...guy offered it to me for $400, with the 305 that had replace the original 3.8, and ran beautiful...being the fact that it didn't have a tilt column, he couldn't fit in the car anymore(did I mention his nickname is "lunchbox"?)
I drove the car as a daily driver for 2 years before it became a project, and it never let me down once...

2) the 327 that now resides in it.... I had an 84 dodge ram that the transmission was acting up, and my boss had a 68 chevy p/u that the engine was in.... he offered a straight up trade, because he wanted p/s-p/brakes and an auto trans.... more to the fact, he told me he was too scared to drive it.... he told me he didnt know WHAT was in it, but what the customer he'd bought it from had said he thought was a warmed up 67 vette engine....originally planned on restoreing the truck, but quickly found out why it scared him, and soon swapped engines.... after doing a un-detailed look at the numbers, found it's a frankenstein engine, but has had alot of work done on it....we're guessing about $2500 worth in parts & machine work, and figuring it was done at least8 years ago...

everything else i've gotten except the window seals and trans x member, has been of the cheap days at the local scrapyards- usually $25 for everything you can carry(should've seen me trying to carry both front buckets and toolbox in 90 degree heat...dang near killed me! :mrgreen:

About 6 months ago, I got two complete factory speedo/tach clusters for my GP for $50 on Ebay.
A few months ago, after I got hit in the passenger fender, I found a guy on Craigslist that had a fender for $40. I went to get it, and ended up coming home with a fender/inner fender/wheelwell assembly, factory rear swaybar, and non-vinyl top quarter windows, all for $120. Guy tried selling me a tach cluster too, but I told him I already had a couple.

I once got a nice Q-jet at a swap meet that a guy had modified for high performance. He wouldn't go lower than $3.00 but I tried. That ended up being a great performer too.

Reactions: Trevor
1980 Olds Cutlass Calais 4dr w/305 4bbl .....$1
New battery ......$89
New Hoses and belts ......$45
Driving around in an v8 powered Olds.....priceless

Bought it off the mother in law as a if you can get it running its yours sort of deal. That was the start.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor