What's the best deal you got on a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 442 rims and 4 eagle GTII's for 150 bucks

can't beat that

I have found many goods deals over the years for my car, but by far the best one was the engine that is currently in my car. I saw it advertised in my local swap sheet for $600!!! The ad claimed 350 rocket, runs very strong, 3,000 miles on rebuild. I just happened to be looking for one at the time, so I made the call, went to hear the engine run (was in a 77 cutlass), saw the paperwork about the engine rebuild, was done professionally by a very competent builder. The guy offered to sell me the whole car for $700, but I didn't have that much, made the deal for $500, and have been torturing the engine for about 50,000 miles now. The only thing I have done to it was put a better set of heads on it, (#6's) also fresh and a good deal at $100.

fresh edelbrock head 455 for 1200. with the gbody headers!! $400, 411 posi currie 9 inch ready to install in my cutlass. i could not pass those up. i didnt even have my car when i got those. i also scored a 68 gt mustang fastback from the same guy nfor 3500. just needed quarter patches.

dan2286 said:
I have noticed a lot of Olds engine parts are going for very cheap on Ebay. I have been seeing Edelbrock performer intakes going for around $60. I think at the beginning of the summer they were going for around $100-150. It really sucks because I need cash and I will not sell the stuff I have at that much of a loss.

I hear ya! I've been doing ebay sales for 8 years, last year was the toughest ever! Sales average for the year was down considerably. Only select items were even considered marketable for while there. Kinda surprises me in a way, because you'd think when money gets tight people should get more savvy about using eBay and saving money finding good deals on things they want slightly used. Yea, I totally agree, there are many things I will sooner hold onto than sell for less than I see fit. Good news is that your prime market season is just around the corner again. Wait a few months for when some of those Olds owners bring out their cars again. First Olds guy to get smoked by a Honda will then have intakes on his mind again!!

I can't even disclose some of the score's I've had, because as a seller, I feel it would reflect badly on my business to boast. But I will say that for a personal project of mine, I once had a complete manual pedal setup GIVEN to me, and that made my day!

One of the best deals iv'e got was on my current motor.Saw a ad on CL for a SBC shortblock for $500.Come to find out it was my old boss that owned it.We talked and he sold me the fresh rebuilt shortblock which turned out to be a ZZ3 crate block 😀 ,engine stand and huge tub of everypart needed which included a serpentine setup for $300 delivered!I only used some of the parts that it came with and sold others rest to make my money back! Gotta love deals! BUT I would have really gotten a deal if the brodix heads and intake wouldnt have been stolen off the block(not bolted on :blam: ) when he was working.

My other proud deal is my current car.1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3 owner Oregon Car,67k original miles,perfect interior,virtually perfect body,rebuilt 3.8 and a shot 200r for $1000.The motor wasn't bolted in or wired,it was just sitting in there,I yanked it out,sold it for $200 to my buddy with a cutlass and tossed in my motor said above.

I always seem to end up with great deals.These are the most recent. I got an Autometer Phantom 5'' Speedo for $20. A GP Dash for $40, a pair of GB Buckets for $25. Another Holley 600 for $20. And a good running 454 for $400. All thanks to CL.

68 olds 350, th350 trans, duakl exhaust, headesr, and dual hump x-member for $25.
I payed $125 and sold the shortblock for $100. In hindsight, I should have kept it... 🙁 But I still got a good deal.

Plus plenty of other good little deals along the way, like my cost-of-shipping cd player, $8. Nearly $200 new...

$10 for an original W-42 spoiler. and a box of free girl scout cookies!! :banana:

With me, it's all about the free stuff. My neighbor gave me three Holley carbs and a Quadrajet for free, I got my dual snorkel air cleaner base for free, some of the brackets and A/C parts for my Chevy swap were freebies too. Oh, and I got my high perf Holley mechanical fuel pump for free when a friend of mine insisted it was bad and had me change it. He said he'd give me $20 plus the pump to change it, but backed out on the $20 when he saw that it really wasn't the problem. However, I did still get the pump for free, and it has been on my car for 13 years now...lol.

For parts I paid actual cash for, I paid $15 for my SBC Edelbrock Performer intake, $25 for an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb with electric choke and manuals ( Both were junkyard scores), $35 for my current Quadrajet, $50 for the 3.23 rear, $50 for a rebuilt Monte SS steering box, $10 each for my FE2 sway bars, $10 each for my front seats (split bench), $10 for HEI distributor, $10 for the starter and alternator, $15 for the water pump, $35 for a 3 core radiator, $35 for the aluminum hood, etc.

I made out pretty good with my engine swap
-sold the Buick 350/TH350 for $600

-purchased running '73 Chevy truck $400
-headers, mounts, belts, tune-up, gasket set, p/s pump +/- $300
-truck driveshaft shortened with new front yoke welded in and new u-joints $123

-sold truck as rolling chassis $150

-dual exhaust with X-pipe $250

so I really only spent about $300 for my entire swap
:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor