What's your dream custom vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I was young at the car lot we had something else like that it was wight with orange and yellow? Strips and a shaker hood it was called a can/am I liked it
I believe the Can Am was only made for the 77' model year in limited production still based off the Lemans body. I do like the shaker hood and rear deck spoiler but prefer the 73' Grand Am front end and tail lights over the 74'-77' styles.
To me the big chrome bumper is too over powering.
One thing I like about these cars is you can fit a 15 x 10 rim with a 30" tall slick in the back with no mods and no rubbing.
pontiac-lemans-1977-11.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I believe the Can Am was only made for the 77' model year in limited production still based off the Lemans body. I do like the shaker hood and rear deck spoiler but prefer the 73' Grand Am front end and tail lights over the 74'-77' styles.
One thing I like about these cars is you can fit a 15 x 10 rim with a 30" tall slick in the back with no mods and no rubbing.
Yup that's it hours had a red gut and a power sun roof that was metal I think it had a Pontiac 455

Reactions: 1 user

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I know a guy in PA that collects Can Ams like I collect Grand Ams....

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
In '85, old school muscle cars were cheap and pretty much every high school/college kid into cars had a muscle car as his daily driver (or on blocks in his driveway). New cars were expensive and weren't fast. $2,500 got you a solid mid 14 second late '60/early '70's muscle car.

I still had my '71 SC360, but bought a '71 'Cuda340 in '85. in '86 I replaced the '71 'Cuda a s a daily driver with a new '86 5.0 that ran high 14's stock and mid 14's with a short belt at the track. 2 months after I bought my mustang, intercooled GN's ran high 12's with a 100 shot of NOS 100% stock at our local track and that was the beginning of old school muscle car guys like me waiting for Turbo Regals to get cheap. The fact that they could later run 11's nearly stock without any NOS was a lucky bonus.

Weren't a lot of the guys with the "big big blocks" already running well into the 12's and even 11's a decade before the GN's came out? Let's say you got a '70 442 with a 455. By 1979 it's gonna have traction bars, big meats on the back, hooker headers, a mild cam, and probably running 12.8@108mph with no port jobs or anything.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
....oh wait I'm building one 442 wagon to tow a camper kinda like my brothers View attachment 66679

Here ya go, Clutch! The guy that ported the heads on my BBO found and restored this . . . maybe he's ready to sell? One of one factory drag station wagon . . . price would probably be a bit steep though . . .

Cutlass Drag Wagon.jpg

I get surprisingly simple on my dream car list. Several Euro-cars on the list but domestically . . .

I've probably already ranted about this here on another thread but . . . Because my health was particularly bad at the time so I could not physically go, I tried to bid on these remotely at the Scottsdale BJ last year [2016] and, after all their remote buy BS, I found out they sold "in the tent" completely unbeknownst to me and never even made it across the block for a measly $27K and $28K. After swearing at BJ intensely for quite a while, I have sworn this is why I will never consider them again . . . of course, BJ is generally NOT the place to go to get any kind of deal but the price on these was very reasonable.

Absolutely fell in love with this little truck . . . it's perfect as is!

189992_Side_Profile_Web.png

And, unlike a '70 W30 or something that you pretty much have to leave factory original or it loses value, I've always loved getting one of these early 442s and basically do the same thing I am doing to my '87 with a modern suspension/brake pro-touring build.

190088_Front_3-4_Web.png

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Weren't a lot of the guys with the "big big blocks" already running well into the 12's and even 11's a decade before the GN's came out? Let's say you got a '70 442 with a 455. By 1979 it's gonna have traction bars, big meats on the back, hooker headers, a mild cam, and probably running 12.8@108mph with no port jobs or anything.

Not right off the street in cars that got 24 mpg. 12 second cars needed slicks and got 8 mpg. Only dedicated race cars ran 11's. The local tracks in the cities got closed down.from suburban sprawl. The remaining tracks were a haul to get to.

Most 1970's big block that touched the 12's in the 1970's were parked by the 1980's because they couldn't get good, cheap leaded gas anymore and going to the track 60 miles away wasn't worth the hassle. People didn't have 4 car garages or out buildings and 440 cuda's sat under tarps in people's driveways in the winter. And then the values of big blocks started creeping up (they weren't $4,000 anymore) and the craze was to put them back closer to stock happened.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Here ya go, Clutch! The guy that ported the heads on my BBO found and restored this . . . maybe he's ready to sell? One of one factory drag station wagon . . . price would probably be a bit steep though . . .

View attachment 67359

I get surprisingly simple on my dream car list. Several Euro-cars on the list but domestically . . .

I've probably already ranted about this here on another thread but . . . Because my health was particularly bad at the time so I could not physically go, I tried to bid on these remotely at the Scottsdale BJ last year [2016] and, after all their remote buy BS, I found out they sold "in the tent" completely unbeknownst to me and never even made it across the block for a measly $27K and $28K. After swearing at BJ intensely for quite a while, I have sworn this is why I will never consider them again . . . of course, BJ is generally NOT the place to go to get any kind of deal but the price on these was very reasonable.

Absolutely fell in love with this little truck . . . it's perfect as is!

View attachment 67360

And, unlike a '70 W30 or something that you pretty much have to leave factory original or it loses value, I've always loved getting one of these early 442s and basically do the same thing I am doing to my '87 with a modern suspension/brake pro-touring build.

View attachment 67361
You would probably like the 2 cars my brother is selling 1 is a 69 W-30 4speed convertible and the other is a 69 Hurst Olds the Hurst needs restoration but the W-30 got a997 and a gold certificate
2054.jpeg
his prices are steep tho

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor