Wheel Fitment Guide

Transformer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
Thanks for posting a link to my website axld86!

The combo I have is 18x8 and 19x10 forgeline GA3 wheels. Backspacing is something that is specific to your car. For example, I am using a Moser 9" axle made for the G-body, it may sit differently than the Gm 7.5 or 8.5 rear axle in relation to the frame rails. Another thing to keep in mind: these cars were welded by hand and variations can exist. The differences may not be much, but something like 1/8th inch can cause huge clearance issues when you put your wheels on. I could not fit 5" backspacing on my driver side rear, but I could on the passenger side... so I went just a bit shallower that 5" backspacing. Lastly, keep in mind if you go with a 10" wide rim, its actually 11" wide including the lip of the wheel (or at least some manufactures have it that way)... so you will probably end up rolling the fender lip. (which I have not covered on my website yet...
When putting your wheels on its best you get your own measurements before ordering/buying them if you want the max contact patch.

-Matt
www.hotrodregal.com

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
fleming442 said:
Has anyone tried 2nd gen. F-body wheels? I have a set of 10th Anniversary T/A wheels (15x 8 or 8.5), and don't know the backspace.

The answer is NO. I mocked them up, and they might work with at least a 1/2" of spacer action. They hit the rear of the UCA and the tie rod end pushes into the rim at full right lock.
20140216_142552_zpsbk0wqswa.jpg

kanek4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2013
I found a nice set of 14x7 olds rallys.. I'll be putting them on an '88 cutlass sup.. how big can I go without rubbing? I'm going to get the same tire size all the way around so I was thinking of going 225/65/14.. what do you guys think?

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
kanek4 said:
I found a nice set of 14x7 olds rallys.. I'll be putting them on an '88 cutlass sup.. how big can I go without rubbing? I'm going to get the same tire size all the way around so I was thinking of going 225/65/14.. what do you guys think?

225/65/14 would look good IMO.
Have you considered 225/70/14 on all four to fill in a little more? Theres a lot of room down there for that 14"tire to fill.
Seems to be a pretty popular size for those running 14" wheels with stock suspension.

Ive seen 245/65/14 on the rears before and thought it looked pretty good too.

kanek4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2013
I was worried about 70 being too high of a ratio but yes I definitely want to fill in the wheel well as much as possible! What do you think is the biggest size I can get away with on 14's with stock suspension?

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Kanek with a 7 inch wheel and a 3.75 backspace you can pretty much fit any 14" sized passenger car tire on the market. Since most 14 inch wheels are 6 inches wide most tire companies stop at a 225 wheel; as that is maximum recommended width by the manufacturers. The widest tire that I know made for a 14 inch rim is the bf Goofrich radial T/A 245/60/14.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor