Whelp..... progress? Hellcat engine to cease production after 2023 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I think its going to be fun to remove the safeties and integration on electric stuff. Its older tech then combustion engines, someone is going to make it way quicker and more unsafe!

You got me thinking now, it's probably already being done. I wonder what the Google machine produces

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I think its going to be fun to remove the safeties and integration on electric stuff. Its older tech then combustion engines, someone is going to make it way quicker and more unsafe!
Best thing about EVs.... TONS of room to install a fuel cell and any big block you want

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not all of the world wants to go EV.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You're assuming the people in charge of all this knows what they're doing. I also believe that there are potholes in this venture when upscaled that are yet unseen. When I used to have to go to a job, I've done several test labs on small scale processes and while in theory it should have worked the same when you went full scale, you don't find the holes until you do. For instance, the discussions always talk about fuel savings, etc., etc., like cost per charge and so forth. But all of it's based on what costs are NOW. Guess what? Electricity costs will go up when demand goes up. It's not like electricity generation comes out of thin air. Someone's going to cash in. Which means all your electric sh*t is going to cost more to operate. How much more? At this point, it's going to be a toss-up because nobody really knows for sure.

So why don't they wait 5-8 years before making people wait too long for a recharge? I keep hearing words like "eventually" and "in so and so many years from now"... People aren't going to accept it if it's not an almost drop-in replacement, which is what most people will expect. The real bugger is going to be at what cost? It's not like some of these EV's are cheap. And they can't be subsidized forever. Economy of scale to help reduce costs may be on the horizon, but for how long? 5-8 years is a lifetime in electronic junk years.

I can see it now. In order to survive, Jeg's and Summit will be selling narrow and wide-ratio resistor packs for your manual transmission. Your shifter will be set up like the resistor bank for the heater fan. You think you're rowing gears, but actually just moving the switches to align resistors.

And I'm not waving any canes. I said I wasn't anti-EV, I'm just not sold on them yet. And anything that has self-driving mode (like the insipid Supercruise) can't be that exciting to ride in. I still believe we will have gas/oil cars into the next decade at least. May not be new, but they'll be there. How else can we prove the Road Warrior movies to be true? And then I'll probably quit driving anyway and move to my EV wheelchair.

Power is transferred by long copper lines. Copper is mined. Mined with petroleum. Petroleum is extracted with petroleum. Infrastructure is built and maintained with petroleum and mined materials. Raw materials are extracted and refined with petroleum. And on and on.

Smoke and f*cking mirrors with narratives pushed by the self-fellating propaganda machines.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You guys have convinced me that I have only one recourse - start buying every LS I can. I'm planning to head to the junkyard this weekend and BUY THEM ALL!!! I'll be the old guy in the woods with his guns, I mean LS's ;)

The local GM dealer is in the process of installing 15-20 bays of charging station for the new EV's that will be coming. The contractor performing the work contacted the local electric supplier to get it hooked up to the power grid. From my understanding there were some dropped jaws when the electric supplier advised that they wouldn't be able to use all of the charging stations simultaneously without creating brown or blackouts in the area.

I was told that this week. I can't say it's true. But there is no way that our current power grid can handle a 20% EV population. Did I mention that I'm building a supply of stock motors (LS's)?

To hell with the Hellcat's (mhm) ;)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone - sincerely - Jim

• Winner
  • Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Power is transferred by long copper lines. Copper is mined. Mined with petroleum. Petroleum is extracted with petroleum. Infrastructure is built and maintained with petroleum and mined materials. Raw materials are extracted and refined with petroleum. And on and on.

Smoke and f*cking mirrors with narratives pushed by the self-fellating propaganda machines.

If it was actually leading toward something worthwhile, it would be a decent sacrifice to make. But presently renewables only account for a sliver of total energy production.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if "they" are going to force into electric vehicles "they" will make fuel and owning a gas powered vehicle so expensive with regulations and penalties that you will almost have no choice.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Infrastructure is built and maintained with petroleum and mined materials. Raw materials are extracted and refined with petroleum. And on and on.

Exactly. Cars are just the tip of the iceberg.

I've always had doubts regarding the merits of the "electric" car movement, but I'm pretty much convinced now. Will they be greener? Maybe a little bit, but I doubt significantly. I think it's far more motivated by money and politicians who know nothing about energy, cars and infrastructure.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The local GM dealer is in the process of installing 15-20 bays of charging station for the new EV's that will be coming. The contractor performing the work contacted the local electric supplier to get it hooked up to the power grid. From my understanding there were some dropped jaws when the electric supplier advised that they wouldn't be able to use all of the charging stations simultaneously without creating brown or blackouts in the area.
Kinda sounds like Kalifornia in the summer with A/C units in use but caused by a smaller factor.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if "they" are going to force into electric vehicles "they" will make fuel and owning a gas powered vehicle so expensive with regulations and penalties that you will almost have no choice.

I mean, it's working in Europe isn't it? $8/gallon gas is enough to drive some lifestyle changes for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor