which carb is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
78gp said:
.......so i guess it is a matter of preference.

You hit the nail right on the head... (No pund intended Nails).

I have known guys that love Holleys and I have know guys that hate them. Same thing goes for Q-jet and Carters.

It really comes down to how much you know know and how well the owner of the car can tune the carb. If a person knows Holleys and has no idea how to turn a Q-jet then of course a Q-jet will be junk. And as it was stated before if the guy has to pay someone to set it up it can get costly.

If Nails feels that Q-jets are junk then so be it he has his reasons. While I don't agree with him I know there is no point getting into a flame war with him. I just respect that he has a different view point than me.

(As I said before I run a stage 2 Q-jet in my car with no problems and before that I ran a factory Q-jet that was not rebuilt or really touch beside minor tune ups for 18 years.)

So in my IMO go with what you know or be prepard to drop some cash.

You two can agree to disagree or you can go back to fighting in that case I am going to go make some more popcorn and watch the show go on.

:popcorn:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are so many different models that each manufacturer of carbs put out it's almost impossible to compare brands. I had a holley that was a direct replacement for a q-jet and it was a piece of garbage but that doesn't mean that all holley carbs are junk but I will say that holley cabs do require more tuning than others

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
pontiacgp said:
there are so many different models that each manufacturer of carbs put out it's almost impossible to compare brands.

And that is very true. It is hard to get an apple to apple basis.

Heck and not one has brought up the fact that there is also different types of the basic Holley carb. Example: Demon, Summit, Quick Fuel and Proform.

It is really based on what carb you know best.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
NAILS, if you can't act and post in a responsible, adult fashion please do not bother to post here again. Opposing opinions are always welcome, but derisive childishness, foul language and name calling is not. The purpose of this forum is to share ideas and solutions to problems, not to engage in middle school playground oneupsmanship. There is a line of civility to be walked that is understood by most people who post here, if you can walk that line you are welcome to stay. We don't do heavy handed moderating here, but we do expect people to treat others with respect.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
or you can reference the sticky over in "how to's" which covers the strengths and weaknesses of the q-jet vs holley etc.
but here's a question about "stock" 90% of holleys and edelbrocks are AFTERMARKET and already setup for high performance. so, can you compare a stock q-jet to them? you would have to compare the driveability, MPG, and power of a factory holley vs. a factory q-jet. i don't remember which models (trans am's?) but i seem to recall that GM (pontiac?) ran the same engine with either carb in the 70's. that's as close as you'll get to an apples=apples comparison. anyone have any experience with them?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I will also point out that most of us have never driven a new car that was equipped with a factory Holley non-emissions carb since they have not been made in almost 40 years. The 1985 Mustang Holley doesn't count because it was built for emissions and has many fundamental differences when compared to a typical aftermarket Holley carb.

Anyhow, almost all of the cars we all drive now that have some variant of these carburetors are modified cars, not stock. While a Holley may be great at WOT, it is not very strong anywhere else when compared to a Quadrajet or other air valve secondary style carb. The Holley is also the oldest carburetor design out of the ones mentioned, as it first saw OEM duty in 1955 Fords. So, for a drag car or road race car that spends most of it's life wide open, get a Holley. For anything else the better part throttle drivability of a spread bore air valve secondary carb will provide the superior driving experience.

tumtum

Apprentice
Nov 11, 2008
x2

Attachments

• montessburgundy.jpg
    montessburgundy.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 142
  • superls.jpg
    superls.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor