Which crossmember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
I'm toying with eventually swapping to true dual exhausts on my '81 Century. It's got the 265 Ponti engine with the metric 200. I looked at Summit and they have a dual hump crossmember for a TH350 or a 200-4R. Will either one work with my 200 transmission, or am I stuck with working with the stock unit?

Aaron

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is that crossmember for a G Body? I didnt know they made many parts for a Century.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
well the century is a G-body so if the trans mounts in the same spot as the 200-4r or th-350 your fine but i dont think they do??

why are you looking to get a new crossmember?? the only reason to get a new one is if you need one for dual exhaust, or if yours is soo rusted its bad.

i am running 600 hp out of my big block and still have the factory crossmember, but i did cut it and reinforce it for the dual exhaust

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Not to sound like a dick, but I'll go out on a limb and say that your 265 probably isn't fire-breathing enough to really require true dual exhaust. It'd be just fine if you were to have the exhaust Y-off after the cat. conv. and go back from there. I've done a few like that. That way you save money now. If you ever choose to upgrade in the future, you're really not out anything and the sky is the limit.
www.crossmembers.com has a better selection than summit, and might have one specifically for the metric 200, I didn't look. Chances are that it has a length in common with a more popular trans and you could reuse it if you upgrade to something stronger.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
That iceman's crossmember looks like a metal coat hanger soldered together!
lOOk at the Gforce crossmember..........1/4 thick plate steel!!!
NO COMPARISON :!:

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
iceman makes several different crossmembers. the lightweight one is jsut wahts is called Lightweight. He does have normal heavy duty ones that are damn near identical to the ones from g-force. There are alot of malibu guys running the heavy duty icamn crossmember with zero problms and a few more dollars in their wallets since iceman is a good deal cheaper than g-force too.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Blake442 is right on the 265.

I have done the single 2 1/2 back from the Y (no cat.) with a Dynomax muffler on a 301 and it helps but don't expect miracles.

They also respond to lite springs in the distributor ( no computer) and coil/ignition upgrade.

As far as the crossmembers there is "NO COMPARISON" the Iceman is a superior unit !

I have both in the shop right now and am not basing my comments on a picture.

If you want to slow you car down go with the 26# G Force.

For me, the 8# chrome moly unit is the choice.

It fits great, plenty of room for 3 1/2 header extensions ( 4" would be tight but will fit) and you don't need to wear a weight belt installing it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor