Which engine would YOU choose? (update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Re: Which engine would YOU choose? (vote)

I keep seeing on this forum and even in magazines how LSs are so cheap and plentiful. I know that my local regular wrecking yards have them, at a premium price. I've never ever seen one in a PickNPull and when they do (rarely) show up on CL they are 2K and up. I can't argue with the factory power numbers and the potential, but I think they are one of the least visually appealing engines ever made in stock form. It takes quite a bit of extra money to make one look pretty in an otherwise nice engine bay. Maybe that's the tradeoff for having plentiful rust free cars in my part of the world -- less availability of LS engine donors.
...Just my unsolicited view. Tangent concluded.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

I think the LS is good because it's protour and the definition of protour is modern convenience and handling in an older chassis. Almost every protour car is LS.

If you want to be real cool, drop in a series II 3800 with an Eaton M90. The torque they make is ridiculous and will demolish the tires if they are properly modified and you have decent tires. I have stickyish 255's on my firebird and my mostly stock L67 spins them way more than enough. I have DR's for it but Nitto's would do, but I daily drive it so I cant go that low. Throw a cam and more boost and you would have a sick motor, buick in a buick too.

For a pro-tour turbo stuff isnt great. 300ftlbs off idle is more important than 500 horse at 5000RPM. If your going boost, SC>Turbo. LC2 stuff isnt cheap either.

However, L67 for RWD isnt easy. T5's and bellhousing stuff is easy to get though, not so much for a lot of the other options. L67's are EVERYWHERE and cheap. Have to be able to weld. T5 3800 camaros are everywhere.

Once I get the Watts link built, tires, and brakes on my Firebird im autocrossing it. Im leaving my Turbo 3.8 at home. Theres a reason theres very few Turbo 3.8 autocross cars.

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong because I might be. But I've never heard of an all aluminum 5.3 LS only cast block w/ aluminum heads. I thought the only all aluminum LS's were the 5.7's or maybe the 7 Litre from the factory. Just curious not trying to be a wise *ss.

78sik ick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2012

in 2004 or '05 i believe some extended cab 4x4 trucks had them as an option. Code was LM4 I think....

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

81cutlass said:
I think the LS is good because it's protour and the definition of protour is modern convenience and handling in an older chassis. Almost every protour car is LS.

If you want to be real cool, drop in a series II 3800 with an Eaton M90. The torque they make is ridiculous and will demolish the tires if they are properly modified and you have decent tires. I have stickyish 255's on my firebird and my mostly stock L67 spins them way more than enough. I have DR's for it but Nitto's would do, but I daily drive it so I cant go that low. Throw a cam and more boost and you would have a sick motor, buick in a buick too.

For a pro-tour turbo stuff isnt great. 300ftlbs off idle is more important than 500 horse at 5000RPM. If your going boost, SC>Turbo. LC2 stuff isnt cheap either.

However, L67 for RWD isnt easy. T5's and bellhousing stuff is easy to get though, not so much for a lot of the other options. L67's are EVERYWHERE and cheap. Have to be able to weld. T5 3800 camaros are everywhere.

Once I get the Watts link built, tires, and brakes on my Firebird im autocrossing it. Im leaving my Turbo 3.8 at home. Theres a reason theres very few Turbo 3.8 autocross cars.

I agree with everything said. For what you seem to be looking for, a supercharged Series II 3800 is a great choice. I have more than one buddy with that engine and they are very fun for being fwd. I would at least consider it if you decide to go with the aluminum 5.3l because of its weight.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011

Im big on brand loyalty so i voted the turbo. The aluminum LS is very interesting though..

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI

Buick all the way! That said I chose the Buick 350 over the turbo-6. Either of them will make you happy, but I think the 350 would be the simpler of the two good choices.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

78sik ick said:
in 2004 or '05 i believe some extended cab 4x4 trucks had them as an option. Code was LM4 I think....
Yep. LM4 and L33 like lsx80monte said. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#LM4

DRIVEN said:
-302 is a really intriguing choice. I've run them and they are FUN! I think it's the best choice for autocross because they aren't really torquey which is nice for acceleration out of a corner. The power is very linear -- the higher you wind them, the harder they pull. Have you considered an LT based 302? It can be done with factory parts. I'm collecting parts to build one for my '35 pickup right now.
I didn't know about it. Do you think an LT based 302 would have advantages over an older build? I don't know much about the LTs.

G-Body_Vet said:
Then there's the transmission to worry about. Do you want a cheap 3 speed, 200-4R, or a 4L60E that was designed to run with an LS? That's just something else to think about in the long run.
5 speed manual when it's all said and done. I was looking at TKOs but I've read they have an issue on occasion with high rpm 2-3 shifts. Also I haven't figured out what you have to do for a crossmember yet.

84cutlassjuggalo said:
You could also use the idea of a 1jz in the Buick
If we're going that exotic then for sake of discussion (since I have limited fabrication skills), what's your opinion on the V8 in the Toyota Soarer? I know nothing about them.

81cutlass said:

Supercharged was my first idea for the Buick 350 but nobody makes one. I thought about prochargers but decided the 350 would have decent torque down low anyway. But as far as using the SC'd 3800, I don't know what you'd need to weld but I've only arc welded just a little so I'd need lots of practice. All I do know is that 3800 series engines have good power. We had a Grand Prix with one. It wasn't a GTP but it could still move. I'll have to put some thought into that one.

Lots of good discussion going on. Lots of food for thought. Not surprised no one is really talking about the 307. From what I've read on it you can actually get it up to the 300 ballpark but no one mentions how streetable that is. If it isn't streetable then it's out of the running, but I'll be keeping it in the poll in case any 307 experts pop in to say a few words about it.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012

The lm4 came in th2 early trailblazer/envoy/rainier/ssr The l33 came in 06-08? extended cab trucks. ( both lm4 and l33 are Aluminum)My lm4 was $950 shipped with 75k miles. I later bought an lm7(cast iron block) short block for $113 from the local lkq u-pick. I dont know about all parts of the US but in the Tampa bay area the lkq's were getting the early trucks, suburban/tahoe and a few vans that have the third gen ls engines. Ive seen one in a tahoe here in dallas since Ive been here a one of the locak u pick yards. And Ive only been here a month. My point is that these engines are starting to find their way into the self serve yards and that makes for some cheap prices. Here is a pic of that junkyard engine after new gaskets and some detailing.

Attachments

• nature 511.jpg
    nature 511.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 759

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.

I think for something you're going to beat the sh*t out of EFI is a big deal and thats why the 5.3 is obviously winning. If you wanted your car to have oldschool notalgia and you're a purist you should eliminate it as an option and the buick 350 is easily best choice carb'd, but I think everyone is just voting for the 5.3 assuming you were going to take advantage of the computer system. The 5.3 could take way more abuse connected to the right trans / computer - obviously... If it were me I'd just use a 350 and stay oldschool but for practicality the choice is pretty obvious to everyone. Also I for one think the 302 is a bad idea. It sounds like a good engine that makes a nice exhaust note for a cruiser but not for something you are going to beat up at the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor