Which flywheel do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
haha. The rod bent below my weld, where the rod is thinner. I dont mind modifying the rod again, it didnt take long. I'm more worried about fixing the angle I've got going on. I have widened the holes a good bit to try to move it over, I will try that again tomorrow but I'm not sure why it is giving me so much trouble. I know I'm going to have to reinforce the firewall one way or another, but want to get this working before I refine anything. I'm not sure I understand what your saying about a longer rod giving less of an angle though. I keep drawing pictures but it doesnt seem necessarily any better than the way I'm doing it. It seems like it would take more stroke to push it further since its closer to the pivot.

I bought a new brake booster and yeah it is DEFINITELY worth removing it to get to the master cylinder :lol: Tomorrow the parts come in....may the new parts solve most of my problems.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
glad you see I was just joking about I told you so...here's an easy explanation as the the length of the rod affects the angle...

draw a straight vertical line on a piece of paper, then from the bottom of the line make a horizontal line for about an 1" ....next draw lines from that edge of the horizontal line to intersect with the vertical line and you'll see as you get higher and your line gets longer to meet the vertical line your angle on the horizontal line is less...

I have my rod extended about an inch past the clutch pedal and I have a stop that stops the pedal travel about 1.5" from the firewall so that any small angle the rod may be on won't affect the master. I also think that the heat from welding the rod may be affecting the strength of the rod which caused it to fail...

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Heres a picture of my clutch pedal that is modified with extension. The pedals are an aftermarket company I found on EBAY to install mechanical clutch linkage

Attachments

• 100_7218.JPG
    100_7218.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 799

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Heres a picture of the Master Cylinder being installed with the steering column removed. I tried doing it with the steering column installed what a pain in the *ss

Attachments

• 100_7221.JPG
    100_7221.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 779

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
More baffling news to report. So the new brake booster solved my brake problem.....why or how my old brake booster failed from sitting on the floor for a week...I do not know.

The new master cylinder looks like its practically from a different car (not really) but suddenly everything makes sense. I took comparison pictures but its hard to see a difference in the bolt arrangement, but it is there. I couldnt even use the same bolt holes I drilled in the firewall for the old master or else it would be pointing the rod off to the passenger side. I drilled a new hole and I dont think there is even an angle problem anymore. Now I am trying to decide if I want to be stubborn and shorten the rod again or take out the pedal assembly and make the extension that you guys have. Even the feed line is at a desirable angle. :D

also...I put the old master cylinder in my vice and noticed that the rod is not hard to bend by hand. I didnt try to bend the new one obviously but I just dont think that's a very strong piece of metal. I dont know enough about welding to know if I weakened it either.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
don't be lazy...take the pedal out and do it right.....and while you're at it get that supporting rod that goes from the bolt for the pedals to the master slave bolt...you'd be surprised how much the firewall can flex...

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
yay! I did it!. I decided to modify the pedal with the extension plate so I'd have no excuses if it didnt work right (and for warranty purposes). Everything seems to be working and the alignment seems normal. The clutch pedal still sits too high and I thought about altering the pin location on my extension plate so the pedal sits lower, but I think the pedal needs more length/leverage because its still a pretty stiff clutch. Im curious to see what everyone elses pedals look like in resting position. I can get used to the stiffness, but the positioning will drive me crazy.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
my clutch pedal sits about an inch higher then the brake pedal which suits me fine so I can easily slide my foot behind pedal when I'm just cruising on the highway...

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I am installing the booster right now, my pedals are the same height I will snap a photo tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor