Which flywheel do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I'm not sure where I'd get something like that locally. The guy who makes this clutch line told me he gets those fittings from russell as well but that they are made for a ford and he has to have them modified apparently...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they do not have to be modified..here's a link for those fittings at Summit so give them a call and ask them if they have to be modified....your guy doesn't know what he is talking about or he just wants to make some extra $$$ off of you ...and if I were you I'd check on the price of a line made by Russel to make sure this guy isn't overcharging you for the line

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640281/

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Thanks. I thought it sounded funny too. I paid him 65 bucks including shipping for the line and if it worked, I dont think it would have been a bad deal. He said he'd refund me if these new fittings didnt work but I think worse case scenario I'll just keep the line and buy a fitting or two from summit. It was so nice to be able to remove the line without removing the slave and master cylinder as well as routing it away from the header.

anyways, I'm going to go pick up my slave and install everything again and hopefully drive the car!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The line should have been around $20 and available at just about any shop that sells performance parts so no need for shipping costs....if I were you demand a full refund and buy the parts from Russel so you know what you're getting...

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
WOW :!: . Get ready to have a laugh.

My 90 degree angle master feed line was a joke. I dont know if the JB weld reacted with the brake fluid or what, but it broke off. Fine. I got a smaller hose and it doesnt appear to be leaking on the stub of a feed tube that is left.

So I get my new slave cylinder in there, heat shield doesnt fit, whatever, bolt it on anyway. I reverse bleed the system and it works flawlessly. So I am thinking this is my lucky day. I get in the car and attempt to press the clutch pedal and it is extremely hard to press down. I know its not the hydraulic system because I just bled it by pumping the slave rod by hand. I start the car and try to ease the clutch and I hear all these awful noises from under the car. I think something is wrong with the pressure plate and/or flywheel. So I try to drive the car up my driveway and quickly realize the brakes have also gone to sh*t. It feels like the brake booster isnt working, it's almost as stiff as the clutch pedal...but the vacuum lines are hooked up.

So I pull my smoking, clunking, brake-failing POS back into the garage and in the process the master rod pushes the "cotter" pin off (or whatever it is) and disconnects from the clutch pedal and the car stalls. Now I'm looking at flywheels and clutches.

Another thing I noticed...when I started rolling in gear something felt wobbly right at the end of the transmission. I thought "driveshaft" but I dont even want to know right now. The reverse gear would also grind when selected even though the clutch pedal was all the way down (clutch issue probably) I can understand the clutch being screwed up but the brakes have me confused.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
congrats...you got it rolling before you hit 10 pages...for the brakes make sure you didn't kink a brake line when you had the master hanging off the booster.....for the heat shield I used a piece of a heat shield mat and used wire to keep it in place.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That "wobbly feeling" at the end of the transmission you said you had what did you do for the floor brace that has be modified or replaced with something else since the original one will not fit in its original location. If the driveshaft is hitting that brace it'll make a heck of a noise..

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I dont know what vehicle you did your swap in but it doesnt sound like we have the same braces under there. The only thing under there is what I thought was a drive shaft "loop" (just a piece of metal under the tunnel), but I dont think it is hitting anything.

I'm about to go out there and try to tear the transmission out so I can go pick up my new flywheel. Will report back in a bit

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
maybe the bellhousing needs indexing or the bearing for the input shaft is toast? Driveshaft too short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor