Which flywheel do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
anakputa said:
My 87 Chevy 350 engine is externally balanced..
It seems that there are two schools of thought about how to categorize the one-piece RMS motors:
There was a small counterweight on the old two-piece crank output flanges. This was in the way when they changed over to the one-piece seal and the weight was relocated to the flywheel/flexplate. The bolt circle also changed to prevent attaching the wrong flywheel.
I'm standing by my definition because your '87 uses a neutral balance harmonic balancer (unlike a 400) and you're obliged to use a one-piece RMS specific flywheel that compensates for the design change.

None of this affects the OP, he appears certain that his motor has a two-piece RMS and all he needs is a third-gen Camaro flywheel for a two-piece RMS.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Well I checked quite a few websites and they all said the decoding of my casting # was a 2 pc rear main seal. The motor is in the car. Do I really need to find a flywheel from that specific of a year Camaro? "83-86". If the flywheel is 153 tooth, and with the counterweight, would it matter what vehicle it came from and etc?

I appreciate the help, I'm just trying to find a deal on ebay or otherwise and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. If I have to break down, I'll buy one new after searching.

for example, is there any reason this one wouldn't fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea956b5c5

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I read that add and it says that flywheel has the bold pattern for an 11 1/2" clutch and pressure plate. I don't think I have ever heard of a GM product having an 11 1/2" clutch. What size clutch do you want to use?. I have a 10.5" clutch in mine.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Trucks and Vettes run the large clutch disc.. just go to shucks/oreilly's and buy a new or reman flywheel. I know they have all of them there. Just tell them an earlier model car (Mid 80's camaro or something) and get the flywheel with 153 teeth for the 2 Piece rear main seal, dont forget the flywheel bolt that go on the end of the crank unless you already have them..

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
pontiacgp said:
I read that add and it says that flywheel has the bold pattern for an 11 1/2" clutch and pressure plate. I don't think I have ever heard of a GM product having an 11 1/2" clutch.
The seller may have measured the pressure plate bolt circle.
I haven't been able to figure out if the 3rd-gen Camaros use the same flywheels as the old-school four-speeds. A check of the Hollander exchange manual should clear this up.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
that may have been a bad example to use, perhaps I should find another. I don't have a clutch preference although if one is more common than the other I will probably just go that route. I believe I have a 10.5 inch clutch provided by the previous owner of the transmission, not sure if I want to use it or not.

Now that I know that I need a 153 tooth, 2 pc rear seal flywheel, I am trying to understand why I couldnt just use any SBC flywheel that meets those two specifications. For example, if on craigslist the only information in the ad reads "153 tooth, 2 pc rear seal", what are the chances that its going NOT going to work for me?

I am not going to pay 120+ for a brand new flywheel unless I have to...I'm on a budget.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take a look at the flange where the flywheel bolts to the crank....if it has a counter balance weight attached to the flange then you need a neutral balanced flywheel...if there is no weight on the flange then you need a weighted flywheel.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Right, I'll only be able to check that out when I get it all torn apart. I keep reading that all sbc except the 400 are internally balanced though.

the search continues.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 400 is the only external balance as been posted....you need to read over the other posts cause all the information is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor