Which flywheel do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
the one post you made was a little confusing. are you suggesting that regardless of the internal balancing I could still have either a weighted or not weighted flywheel?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"it's easy to tell if you need a weighted or neutral balanced flywheel or flexplate....if there is a counter weight on the end of the crankshaft outside of the oil pan then you use a neutral balanced flywheel or flexplate... if there is no counter weight then you use a weighted flywheel or flexplate...all cranks are internally balanced the same and they either need the counter weight on the end of the crank to balance the crank or a weighted flywheel or flexplate...the weighted flywheel and flexplate are said to be external balancing of the crank but by definition the counter weight on the crank is also externally balancing the crank

on a 400 tho the weight is heavier on the flywheel and flexplate and there is also a weight on the harmonic balancer as it's crank was the only crank that was really externally balanced"

I don't know if your referring to that as being confusing but it seems to be clear to me...

is this the engine you have?...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/103 ... s_290.html

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I dont know if that motor is identical to mine, but I do have a Goodwrench 350 in it, something the previous owner had done.

As far as I've read you can balance the crank with the flywheel AND pulley/harmonic balancer. If you are referring to a counter weight on the front of the crankshaft, I will have to check that out. As far as the flexplate counterweight goes, I would have to take everything apart to find out. You say "outside of the oil pan" I dont know where you are referring to, the front or back. I dont know of a "counter weight" that is its own component and not attached to the flywheel or harmonic balancer

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take a look at the flange where the flywheel bolts to the crank....if it has a counter balance weight attached to the flange then you need a neutral balanced flywheel...if there is no weight on the flange then you need a weighted flywheel.

I guess you missed that post.....

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Chillin014 said:
As far as I've read you can balance the crank with the flywheel AND pulley/harmonic balancer.
Only the 400 requires a counterweighted flywheel AND harmonic balancer.

Chillin014 said:
If you are referring to a counter weight on the front of the crankshaft, I will have to check that out.
The are no counterweights on the front of the crank. That end is just a snout.

Chillin014 said:
As far as the flexplate counterweight goes, I would have to take everything apart to find out.
You seem to be certain that you have a two-piece RMS motor. Therefore, your flexplate has no counterweight.

Chillin014 said:
You say "outside of the oil pan" I dont know where you are referring to, the front or back. I dont know of a "counter weight" that is its own component and not attached to the flywheel or harmonic balancer
We're referring to the the crank flange where the flywheel/flexplate attaches. When you remove your flexplate, you'll see that the flange isn't round. It's heavier (counterweighted) on one side. The bolt circle is round but the overall flange isn't.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
okay thank you, it is clear now! I can see clearly now that the rain is gone. :rofl: :wtf:

I guess a picture could have helped but I cant find one either so whatever. I am "confident' I have a 2 piece rear main seal based on information I've looked up on the casting number. If anybody feels I should have reason to doubt this, speak up now! I'm about to purchase a flywheel from a pre 86 camaro this week hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor