Why do so many frown upon swapping Chevy engines into Olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I completely understand it. But even GM put Chevy engines in Regals and Cutlasses from the factory. I guess I'm hoping someone will just tell me its ok. I want to build a 350 rocket for my future Cutlass but a Chebby is just so much cheaper! I'd like to hear your opinions. :mrgreen:

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Re: Why do so many frown upon swapping Chevy engines into Ol

mainly because it sets our cars away from every1 else's and is the correct brand for our car. Everyone and there brother has a Chevy Engine.

this is why many choose to run an olds engine.

but i understand that it's cheaper, but you asked for the reason and I told ya...lol

Its also cool to say you got an Olds under the hood when the dude you outrun asks what ya got :)

BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN, I'M NOT GONNA HOLD A GRUDGE, I'M JUST GLAD PPL ARE FIXING THESE CARS UP

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area

It's OK to put a Chevy engine in your Cutlass. There, I said it. It's OK to put any engine in your Cutlass. After all, it's your Cutlass. You may find the Olds swap to be much easier since all accessories bolt right up.

redboy504

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA

My uncle has been trying to convince me since day 1 to put a chevy 350 in my Cutlass, for a million and one reasons. I just can't do it. I'de rather see it sit there and not run forever than put a chevy engine in it. I could have a chevy engine in my car by this weekend and be finally driving it for the first time. But it's not gonna happen. It just wouldn't feel right to me. I understand a chevy engine would be cheaper and easier to find parts for, but I'm willing to deal with that. I'm not telling you what to do but I just can't do it. I see Cutli(Cutlasses) and Regals all over with Chevy 350's in them. They're ok too. But I wanna be able to say I have a 455 Rocket in my car. Even people who have no idea what that means will be like WOW. I'm just giving you my point of view. I'm sure your car will be cool either way. Do what makes you happy! Cuz that's what really matters. That's why we buy 30 year old cars and work on them all the time. Put big rims on them or put small rims on them, or whatever we like. Cuz it makes us happy. So go and make yourself happy. I'm trying to trademark the (Cutli) thing. LOL.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

Brand loyalty and uniqueness. Yes Chevrolet's are in everything thing. There are a couple reasons for that, hp/dollar ratio and availability. I have had 3 g body cutlasses. All had Oldsmobile engines, 260, 350, and a 455. They all came that way. In my area people act like an Oldsmobile engine is rare. If those cars didn't have an engine I would of put a Chevy in it and not looked back or cared what anybody said. I am not gonna pay 500 for a 350 olds core and rebuild it for another 2500 and still be in the 325-350hp range. I would rather buy a chevy core for 100 bucks and spend 2500 and be over 400hp with a completely fresh motor, aftermarket heads and all. I think people worry about the heritage of these cars and their disappearance. They believe you suck the soul right out of it when you remove an olds and add a chevy. I say it's my car, tuff t*tty.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago

Some people are idealists, they value something not because it's cheaper, or easier to find, or makes more sense to the masses, they do it because it's personally important to them, REGARDLESS of any complications. Other people don't really even think about the concept of matching an engine and car, it's not something they value. They may not feel the same brand loyalty or need for consistency as the idealists, or they want the absolute best bang for the buck, or they feel comfortable with their chosen motor, and it doesn't matter what specific platform it goes into.

You can do whatever you like of course, it's your car. If you feel you want to hear someone tell you it's ok to put a Chevy engine in your Cutlass, it's pretty safe to say that you're not an idealist in this way. And so if you decide to do this, you may save some money, and you may make things simpler on yourself (or more difficult) depending on the issue. Just remember, a guy who doesn't care about mixing brands -- just doesn't care about mixing brands. And a guy who does care -- he feels that way for a reason.

Justink

Greasemonkey
Nov 28, 2010

My cutlass came with a 305 so really I see no issues swapping in a chevy as the Canadian cars came factory with a sbc.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada

V6UnderPressure said:
I completely understand it. But even GM put Chevy engines in Regals and Cutlasses from the factory. I guess I'm hoping someone will just tell me its ok. I want to build a 350 rocket for my future Cutlass but a Chebby is just so much cheaper! I'd like to hear your opinions. :mrgreen:

I think this goes back to a previous era of car. It used to be that Olds, Chevy's, Pontiac's. and Buick all had their own line of engines. At some point (late 70's I think), the GM "corporate" engine philosophy came about. GM was actually sued for putting a "different" brand engine in their cars, even though it was all GM.

My personal opinion is that if you own the car, put in whatever you like. Chevy engines are typically cheaper to build, not necessarily because they're any better, but because they are so available and so many people use them. Still, I think it's pretty cool if you can put a brand matching motor in your car. I never used to think that way, but when I got my Firebird I got to thinking how many I see with Chevy small blocks, big blocks, and LS motors, but not that many with the original poncho. It cost me a bunch more, but I guess I like to be a little different.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

This is all good feedback, but I am definitely on the fence. Thing is, I'd like to supercharge it. Ideally, I'd like an olds 350. problem is, I don't see any superchargers for em. So this is kinda making me lean on the chevy side. Hey its all GM anyways. Could be worse, it's not like its a Ford block! :puke:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

If you really dig an olds then put one in. Just be prepared for more money spent, more hassle finding certain parts, and having no more "value" than a chevy. Except you can say it's olds powered. Thats really all you need to look at. Do you wanna be able to say it is olds powered? Is that more important than availability, flooded market of used damn near free go fast parts, and "value?" If it is then rock on with the Olds. I totally understand wanting to have an Olds in an Olds. Damnit just come to the dark side already and pull the trigger on a Chevy :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor