Why Is GBF So Laid Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
"No politics".

It does seem to be mostly unpretentious. Tons of knowledge from a staggering variety of demographics. Age, race, background, just don't matter here.

I think these are the two items that make it a 'laid back' site. 'People helping people', which is the way it's supposed to be - at least IMO.

Some of us are about going fast, some us are about looking good, and some of us just like our cars. Take a look at the last two G-bodies of the month and they will describe my opinion.

And I'll repeat CWPottenger's thoughts - 'No politics' other than politics of G-bodies - lol.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I believe it is mostly due to the fact that we are mostly men of a certain age, no time for bullshit arguing over things that are totally irrelevant in our own personal lives. I myself have ditched other forums due to all the pissing contests and people mouthing from behind their computers who would never say the things they say to your face. Like I tell my sons(17&18yo)- don't be an *******!

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 12 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yea what everyone else said in real life I'm a political dick!....... Lol just kidding.
Witch brings me to my next point we all seem to have a pritty understanding sence of humor and as I said in another thread we aren't looking at the cars as an investment unless it's an emotional investment like 2 of the cars I currently have well 1 and Lauren's in other words we want to enjoy them and our forum is part of them. People say misery breeds company and bad news travels faster than good. Well the same goes for a good vibes and if anyone wants to thrash that here we just squash it with an all around good attitude. There's another old saying ....
F___ them if they can't take a joke. This was the first fourm I ever joined and now it's part of my day to day. I did join another site for the square body crew and to be quite honest idI rather talk to you guys about it and I think if I sold off my G'S and got something else completely I'd still be on this site

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I've been on other forums and sometimes the advice that's given is law! Not so on here, it's helpful and a choice, nothing is forced!
What l see on here for 99% of the time is respect! Average people that grew up proper and for the most that grew up with cars people around! An just regular people no princesses! People that you could hang around in real life, give ya the shirt off there back type!
Also l think if you ask, everyone has a g-body story from youth. People with ole souls!!

OKAY NOW GROUP HUG!!

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Well you just jinxed it. Nice going. There is always somebody that has to come on here and just ruin it for everybody.

We're all just sitting around, minding our own business, being super chill and then SOMEBODY comes along POINTING FINGERS at everybody... "Hey! look at that guy, being all super chill and stuff. He's DIFFERENT! Look! there's another super Chill dude. What's wrong with you people?"

I'm being Triggered over here. You better cut out your inquiries into our chill space and just go with it.

NAH BRUH U DNT KNO WHT UR TALKIN ABOUT IVE BEEN AROUND GBODYS MY WHOLE LIFE AND MY UNCLE INVENTED G BODYS N MY DAD IS A GRAND NATIONAL. CHILL FAM FR FR

Just an old freakin ex hippie type here . . . left over from a 40 keg party back in '77.

This was actually one of my theories, lol.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
That could be an interesting thesis for somebody working on a social sciences degree:
Is the online aggressiveness of a site's membership correlated to something about the membership?

A rough idea is that currently G-bodies get very little attention in the "old car hobby" because the perception is there's no $$$ in them -- watch any of the auctions on TV -- so the forum doesn't draw the outspoken a$$hats that always have to be right and push for "numbers matching everything"

It also seems to me that the weirder the car, the more "normal" the people. By normal, I mean none of us are here to prove our egos; we all just want to learn more about what we are working on. Let me explain further- anyone can appreciate a classic A Body or a Firebird or Camaro or Mustang. You've got to be a real gear head to be passionately interested in 80s Regals and Cutlasses. If there is an AMC Gremlin forum out there, I bet those people are chill as could be too.

Another good point as jw pointed out, is we're all adult men here and we know how to agree to disagree and not take things personally. We also don't engage with the trolls because generally we're mature enough to not care.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
:p
I also think that G-bodies are like GM's Legos. There are many different kits, but you can use different pieces on many different cars (i.e.- El Camino quarter patches on a Bonneville)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
It does seem to be mostly unpretentious. Tons of knowledge from a staggering variety of demographics. Age, race, background, just don't matter here. Same goes for these cars. They fit everywhere in one form or another and even if you don't care for the exact style or modifications the basic car (and the shared love of them) still shines through.

I agree. I think the versatility of the platform allows such a wide rang of people. As I've said before, I think G-Bodies are the only, or at least one of the few, platforms that literally every segment of car culture is applicable: from Lowriders to Track Racing and everything in between. The only thing bad about forums, not just this one, is they have been very reliant on photobucket over the years. Some great informative threads with tons of pics are now only half as useful.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor