Wideband AFR tuning a carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I expected a change in AFRs in the winter, but did not observe any. Also, I do not see a change in MAP from summer to winter on my laptop (for my EFI trucks) either. Doesn't make sense to me, but this is what I've observed.

Ask any drag racer that uses a carb how much the weather affects their times and speed.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
ask any drag racer that uses a carb how much the weather affects their times and speed

I feel a difference driving to work in the morning and driving home in the afternoon, the motor definitely makes more power. Again, I'm simply reporting what I saw on the wideband and EFILive.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I feel a difference driving to work in the morning and driving home in the afternoon, the motor definitely makes more power. Again, I'm simply reporting what I saw on the wideband and EFILive.

colder air is more dense which means it contains more air, unless your carb self adjusts the car would be running leaner with cold air. On hot days a carb will be running richer. I'm not sure what brand gauge you were using but with my AEM I could tell if I had 10% ethanol fuel or real gas in the tank

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
colder air is more dense which means it contains more air, unless your carb self adjusts the car would be running leaner with cold air. On hot days a carb will be running richer

I hear you. I expected to see it lean out in the winter. But it didn't. I also expected the MAP to read higher on my truck when the temperature dropped, but it didn't. The cars make more juice in the winter, but my wideband and MAP readout didn't change. Like I said, I don't understand it, but that's what I saw. I know my snowmobiles would run stinky and rich on a warm day and rip your arms off the handlebars when it hit single digits. I know all about DA too, no refuting that. If you can explain what I've seen, you're a better man than I.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I put an AEM AFR gauge in the Malibu. Running propane I don't have a ton of adjustment, but just being able to see what was going on when I adjusted it was worth the price of the gauge. I also installed an adjustable vacuum advance canister, between the 2 I was able to tune it better and gain 4mpg!

I used the clamp-in bung, wasn't super happy with it though, tough to guess how the sensor is going to locate in the pipe. Would do a weld-in next time.

Reactions: 4 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Weld-in is the way to go. You can put it exactly where it fits the car. I don't think that the clamp-on is bad though. I am excited to get it on there just to have something to do during the 'lock down'!

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
From your first pass of the day till someone Puts you on the trailer by the end of the night it’s a roll of the dice

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Not if you have a good weather station and backed up with data.

I’m just tuning a street car....................and since bracket racing is about as uninteresting to me as birdwatching, I really don’t care if the car has 551hp on the drive to work and 547hp on the way home.
I just spent $200 on some to play with instead of $2200 for something that may disappoint. I’ll see what happens.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor