Wooo... new ride! Pictures added

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
Re: Wooo... new ride!

yeah my buddy has a 99 t/a and its a shame to see what they became... i mean the eu got on their sh*t about the 455 in like 1972 and they were like bro 400 horsepower is wayyy to much... so they bumped it up to like 440 and then the eu was like o_O stop it plz so it 76 they were like aight your out bro and id put money that the 455 in 1976 had more than 450 hp and pontiac just lied so they could sell it 1 more year.... seriously badass i bet their dynos were like low 5s

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Re: Wooo... new ride!

The whole car is filthy... Needs a lot of cleaning, and it's not tweaked or bent it just looks like that because it's on uneven ground, and all the tires are unevenly inflated. :lol: I've got all the trim pieces for around the glass, they're just not on in the pictures.

Firebird004.jpg

Firebird001.jpg

There's a pic, they're bigger than I expected... So I'm just putting links to the other pictures haha.

Interior: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird007.jpg
Interior: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird008.jpg

Front: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird005.jpg

Right quarter: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird003.jpg

Side View: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird002.jpg

76 Formula Hood (with terrible alignment haha): http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z320 ... ird006.jpg

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
the potential for that car is outrageous, dont put the bird on the hood if your sticking with that hood, you gotta get the shaker hood if u want the bird... black white letter tires shes gorgeous good luck with her

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
In the pictures the seller had the hood looked like the 77-81 formula scoops... The ones that are basically flat rectangles. I was going to change it for a the 70-75 formula hood... I didn't realize it was the one year only 76 hood which I like a lot so yeah I'm sticking with it. I just need to get it lined up better, the back hits a little on the fender when you open it... And the latch is tricky. Hopefully I can get all that worked out fairly easily. I'm more concerned with getting all the mechanical bugs worked out and winterized before thinking about body work. Hopefully the weather over the winter isn't too bad, so I can get it road worthy by spring... And then really get thinking about the body work.

Main things it needs to be driven is get the brakes working, might just be wheel cylinders and a bleeding... Maybe more who knows. And then figure out what's going on with the power steering... No big deal if it needs a pump, or new lines, that's cheap who cares it works but not well. I don't know why I didn't bother to look before I bought it, but the radiator is also super low... Hopefully it's not leaking big time somewhere, I think this next part might be related I need to replace the heater core, and the blower motor so I have heat at least haha. :lol: I bet the heater core blew and that's where a lot of the coolant went. Good thing I didn't drive it far with it like that.

I don't care for the bird or the shaker hoods much. I like the Mopar shakers, but not the Pontiac ones very much. It actually has white letter BFG's on it, but the letters are facing inside. I think I'm going to replace the tires in the back with ones with a bit more sidewall, maybe gain a little bit more ground clearance so the exhaust doesn't scrape over speed bumps.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Has anyone here ever put bolt in sub frame connectors in a unibody car? My friend has a set that will fit this car and he will give them to me or sell them to me really cheap... Just wondering if it's worth the effort to install them. The car is quite twisty under power (you can actually feel it) so every little bit would help but I was thinking I'd use the stronger weld in ones.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
bolt in ones are good... my bud tom has an f body with outlandish wheel hop put in bolt in frame connectors and bolt in panhard bar and it was like magic

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Well of course things couldn't go my way... :roll: Car has hopefully a blown or rotted out freeze plug on the drivers side of the block. Or less likely but possibly, and I don't even want to say it... A cracked block. :( I'm pretty sure it's the former, and I'm praying for freeze plug at this point at least that's not expensive, just a hassle. Although I'm kind of pissed that I'm going to have to pull the motor. Oh well, at least I'll be able to repaint the motor and polish all the accessories more easily. Hopefully my brother still has his engine lift, I think he may have given it away when he moved though. :(

I went to refill the rad just with water to see where the leak is, if any (I was really hoping it was just the heater core) and I poured about 1/2 a gallon of water in, and then after that the water poured out as fast as I poured it in, out of the drivers side of the block from somewhere behind the drivers side motor mount.

Think I'll use brass plugs when I replace them, or stainless steel if they make them. Anyone have a suggestion, I don't think the freeze plugs are even accessible without taking the motor out at least partially.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
well since you just bought the car and like a day later it started leaking i will go ahead and attempt to put you at ease and say its the freeze plug BECAUSE the previous owner didnt want to fix it because it was more than leaking it was a MUST fix so he decided to sell and to sell it at a higher price he dropped like a gallon of that GM saw dust caps into the radiator for pluggin up leaks in the radiator and sold it to you... hope that makes you feel more at ease.... its happened more than once and if its a bad leak the sh*t doesnt stay for more than a week if not less... good luck

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
My 81 T/A with a 455 Olds and t-tops went 12.20's with just bolt on connectors. 60' were in the 1.70s. You need to run solid body mounts with connectors, also. If the car feels loose under power, check the floorboards really close. They are very important to the structure of the car, they must be solid. Plus, the body mounts are probably shot. Hope it's just a freeze plug, but if not I do have a 455 Pontiac for sale :wink: Gregg

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
nice car! thats the spoiler i wanna make for my satty.
Firebird004.jpg

l_28137b8efcd6466f8a9a9c42326fca3c.jpg

l_a4ea8e3751254ce2bc9c664fd0df0545.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor