Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks guys!

Scott, getting the gaps right, or close does require some patience. I figured I'd adjust the panels before paint. Originally I was going to paint everything apart, but would hate like hell to chip and scrape the edges when reassembling.
However, I did paint the jambs and behind the doors and fenders. I actually gave the fenders a coat or two, but they came out so-so. I wet sanded them and will do them over along with the rest of the body.
The header panel is an '81. I decided I like the look of the '81 header panel (and grille) better than the '79.
The color on the header panel and fenders is the color it's going to be. I'm still trying to decide whether to paint the bumpers dull or Argent silver, or body color. I'm kind of leaning towards silver. Chrome would be nice, but my pockets aren't that deep.

You're absolutely right about the fit and finish of these cars when they were brand new. Like you said, "nothin' to write home about"...that's for sure.
Yes, the wrist and neck very much came into play here.

I hope you've been making progress. I do like what you've accomplished so far. Keep up the good work.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Looks good Jack, hopefully you will get it painted this summer. I know what you mean about fitting all the panels. I spent almost two days on my El Camino trying to get everything to fit properly. I remember having to notch some holes and using a lot of shims. 8)
A buddy of mine painted the bumpers on his 78 Chevy PU. He wound up having them powder coated because the paint just wouldn't hold up. I think yours would look cool in a metallic silver.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Paul!
I actually hope to paint it soon and be back on the road this summer. There's still alot of stuff to purchase..new windshield, tires, weatherstripping, carpet, headliner fabric, mirrors, and the list goes on...springs, etc. etc.

Also, thanks for your feedback on painting the bumpers silver. Powder coat would make more sense. I'll see if it's in my budget. I like the idea of silver. A friend of mine suggested silver, but using a brushed effect to give it a stainless look.
He reminded me that Foose used it on one of his Mustang builds, "Brush-tang".

I've had to use the notching method when having to re-align my bumpers after chopping them. :wink:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Looking good Jack. I feel like a total slacker next to you!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Looking good Jack. I feel like a total slacker next to you!
Mark,
At least you're using and driving your car. I'm jealous in that regard. Had I still been living in NY, I'd help you with the body and paint...not that I'm an expect, but it would be good practice for me... :lol:
I view this as therapy. I'm old and retired, what else am I going to do. :lol:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
" I'm old and retired, what else am I going to do. :lol:" Err, that's why we have beer and fishing! :rofl:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
" I'm old and retired, what else am I going to do. :lol:" Err, that's why we have beer and fishing! :rofl:
Good point... :lol: Maybe once the car is done, I might consider a small runabout. My dream is to own another Aristocraft Torpedo 14 like I owned over 40 yrs ago. I saw a few on Ebay recently. One was out in L.I. it went for $8000.with trailer and a vintage Evinrude clunker. I think was 25 or 35 hp. Another one was a later repro made in the 2000's with a 50hp Merc like I had.
I didn't see what that one went for. I think it would look cool being towed by my schlep wagon.
A new Aristocraft repro runs for $13,000. and that's with no motor and trailer.
Here's a sweet one on Barrett-Jackass http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... 55&aid=304

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
tc1959 said:
"Old and retired" ,That makes 3 of us in the same Boat .Pardon the pun.... :rofl:
Good one, Paul... :rofl:

newb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2013
Puyallup, WA
That rear bumper looks awesome! Makes me want to narrow mine lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor