Would you buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GbodyJames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2012
So I guess my other post didnt go through but after getting some feedback on a Malibu I'm passing on it but I am interested in this http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ct ... 80853.html its in la so I would have travel to get it but does any one know about this gn? Maybe owner is on here. Give me some feedback so I can come up with a decision. Please and thank you

mechanic58

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2011
80maroonbu said:
color me foolish, but ,what makes that a scam add, or were you being sarcastic?
i'm not up on Buick. is that a specialty car? i've heard of the T Type.
I would sport that around.

First of all, the car looks too nice for a $4500 price tag - second, there's no phone number in the ad and it's composed in ALL CAPS. All three of these points are red flags with regard to the authenticity of this ad. Go ahead, email the guy via craigslist - see what kinda response you get. I'd bet a dollar you get something like this:

"Thanks for your interest in my item. It is still for sale, however it is currently in storage in bum**** somewhere else and has been prepped for shipment. If you are interested in the item it can be arranged for a viewing, or you can simply wire transfer the money to my clearinghouse (they hold the money until after you receive the item and inspect it) and I will ship it to you. I look forward to doing business with you."

Edit: I also forgot to add these few notes: The ad is in the Los Angeles Craigslist (a literal hotbed of scam artists thrive here) AND the description couldn't be any more vague than if Helen Keller had composed it.

I emailed the guy, we'll see what happens.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
I would ask for more pix. Specifically of the door bottoms, rear lower quarters, under hood, interior, and the SPID label under the trunk lid. Go drive it and if you think it is worth it buy it.

Seems as legit as most of the c/l ads I see.

GbodyJames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2012
Turns out its a legit car and owner. He sent me like 10 pics through email and I just got off the phone with him so it's definitely a real legit ad. He said he'd be willing to have someone I know check it out since I'm so far away anybody up to it let me know?

mechanic58

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2011
GbodyJames said:
Turns out its a legit car and owner. He sent me like 10 pics through email and I just got off the phone with him so it's definitely a real legit ad. He said he'd be willing to have someone I know check it out since I'm so far away anybody up to it let me know?

Odd, he must be selective in how he responds to his emails then - because I sent him some email too and he hasn't responded. I indicated in my email that I had cash and was ready to purchase. He must not want to sell it that bad...lol.

I have bought and sold dozens of cars on craigslist. Anytime I have one for sale and I get email inquiries, I ALWAYS respond immediately to every email I get. It seems odd to me that he would respond to your email and not mine.

80maroonbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
i just remembered something. if you buy a car out of California, make sure you have the DMV run the VIN number BEFORE you buy it. i read somewhere that California can have lein's on cars, and the buyer doesnt know about it until you go to title the vehicle. just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor