wrapping interior in black leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

roachownsu

Greasemonkey
May 24, 2013
Ok so me and my buddy are planning on wrapping is 85 monte carlo ss whole interior in all black leather..including the dashboard... is it just easy to use headliner adhesive and wrap it?.. what precautions should I take before doing this project?.. I've never wrapped interior panels with leather.. only seued.. any help would be great

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
All I can say is good luck. I wrapped my A and B pillars as well as the headliner trim pieces and it's already peeling around the edges. I used the high dollar Locktite headliner adhesive from Summit even. It all looked good for a few weeks but now I gotta redo it. It worked awesome on the headliner though :lol:

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I cant help you do the task, but what you are looking to do is NOT crazy, or even out of the ordinary.

I have seen it in Taxi's around here. Everything gets covered (but havent seen the dash done). Headliner, seats, rear deck, floors, trunk, etc... It basically makes it so if someone is sick in your car, you can easily clean it up afterwards and not damage the interior.

If you really want to do it yourself, then so be it. But see if you can talk to an upholsterer. Its not as expensive as you might think. I think the guy who had it done in his car told me it was about $400. Not sure if it was vynil or leather. But it was well done, nice and tight.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
id recommend getting a good spray temp tack. you shouldn't use a adhesive to permanently install new upholstery. it will cause hard spots in the material not allowing for a nice finished product. the temp tack allows you to move the leather or vinyl even after it has been applied.
here is a link to some some one that explains how to do everything properly. i could easily help show you what to do step by step . but this guy does a good job and with pics
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthrea ... The-gluing
he does make the mistake of cutting his material to short at the edges to wrap around. you don't want to do that or you will get raw edges. you should always leave about an inch or to over and then trim the bulk down. better safe than sorry.

as for the dash . that is going to be difficult. there are alot of curves that are going to be hard to get the material to stay, so just take your time and make as little of cuts as possible.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings; Check out my interior viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46801#.VIh7KxSZg5A . I had the plastic covered with vinyl & the front seats with leather. I took the plastic (A B & C) pillars, door panels & what not to the interior guy. That way I saved the RR cost & got all the correct screws back in the correct holes. But the head liner seems to fall every 13 years or sooner. Bob Jr.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I work for the largest automotive interior supplier in the world and we do leather wrapping in Mexico so we can get away with using solvent based adhesives. Delamination is always a concern and special adhesives are used to prevent it. It's unlikely the industrial adhesives used are available over the counter....

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
The interior of my 83 Grand Prix used to be burgundy and now it's all black. What I did was re-painted all the interior plastic trim but covered the dash with leather and the console in suede/leather (see pictures). The original seats were re-covered professionally by an upholsterer since I don't have the required heavy duty sowing machine to stitch leather. For the dash and console, I used an air gun to spray professional grade glue (similar to contact cement), which I purchased from a car upholstery repair shop.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I've got a black suede headliner and its holding up nice. I was thinking of doing a few other panels but never the dash. One time I tried to save a dash that was under black leather and it was peeling off it was horrible. There's no going back once that adhesive is all over the dash it's ruined and you have to keep redoing it in leather wrap. That interior paint is definitely the better way to go for the dash...

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
If it's done correctly, it'll last a lifetime. My other vehicle (from Germany) has a leather interior which has lasted for many years. The key (IMHO) is to do it once, but do it properly -- use high end glue and good quality material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor