Update to my (frame off restoration) 1979 Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Just a brief update:

The body is completely removed from the old frame and we're in the process of gathering all usable parts from the old frame and transferring it over to the new frame.

The old transmission and frame will be scraped. Any suggestions on what I should do with them?

The Engine
I was told when I bought the car that the engine was "rebuilt" but after seeing all of the gunk and rust, it appears that they may have only painted the valve covers. What do ya'll think? I would love to get feedback on the engine, if anyone could provide any useful insight from the attached pictures. I believe the block is an 1968, 350, but I will varify that shortly. The only numbers I've seen on the block is 395558 2...I believe that places my engine in the year range of 1968-1976???

I'm going to paint the frame black, only on the areas where it could be seen once placed on the frame. The engine will be painted back factory gold. The new 2004r will be left silver.

The Body
The body is currently being assessed for the severitry of rust damage, but I believe all of the mounting points are good, so we shouldn't have any problems attaching to the new frame. Metal work will be done for all of the rust holes on the rear quarters. The trunk and floors are solid. I will defintely need a passenger door. The passenger door I purchased last year was damaged by UPS and it is going to cost more in labor to repair, so I'm in the market for another GOOD, SOLID door. Oh yea, and I could use a header panel and grill for a 79 calais as well.

What's New
In addition to the new 2004r, I also have a new intake and carb (see attached photos). I also have new re-chromed bumpers (see attached photos), but they won't go on until some time in the distant future after I've painted. I have some olds rally wheels that I've restored (I'll post photos soon).

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Once you get it together and running I'd like to get your opinion on the Edelbrock Q-jet.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Nothing negative from any sources I'd trust. Just curious.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Pharozen said:
DRIVEN said:

That's good to know. I did a little earch before I purchased it and I belive I have the best match for my set up.

Looks like your making some great progress and have a great place to work on it. You may want to return the Edelbrock carb though as it is for a Chevy engine. Most Olds Q jets have the filter and fuel connection oriented towards the front of the car and you could use the factory hard line to the fuel pump instead of rigging a flexible line.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Anubis said:
Pharozen said:
DRIVEN said:

That's good to know. I did a little earch before I purchased it and I belive I have the best match for my set up.

Looks like your making some great progress and have a great place to work on it. You may want to return the Edelbrock carb though as it is for a Chevy engine. Most Olds Q jets have the filter and fuel connection oriented towards the front of the car and you could use the factory hard line to the fuel pump instead of rigging a flexible line.

Well, I surely hope that's not the case because that Card is specifically for an olds 350 engine. Well, atleast that's what the paperwork/seller say. The intake, carb and olds 350 should all line up and be in sync....

Do you know that for sure?

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
Sounds like you are moving alone. I will be going to Crazy Rays next weekend to see if I see some Gbodys, so I will look out for you a door. If I find one or you find someone that has one up my way, I can bring it to you next month. Also I may have to bring my car down there to get it painted.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
1979Calais said:
Sounds like you are moving alone. I will be going to Crazy Rays next weekend to see if I see some Gbodys, so I will look out for you a door. If I find one or you find someone that has one up my way, I can bring it to you next month. Also I may have to bring my car down there to get it painted.

That would be outstanding! I'm about to shoot you my cell phone number in a PM, so if you see a good solid door, I would definitely get it.

What shops are you looking at down here for your paint job? If you come anywhere near Birmingham, let me know, and I'll meet you somewhere. I would love to see that Cutty in person.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
I would love to see yours in person also. I have not looked at any shops yet, but I may be looking for one soon if my car is not in the shop by last week of this month. Got to find one that I can trust to leave my car at. I am headed to B'Ham the around March 7 to go to the Jubilee in Selma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor