BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Time to send up the bat Olds Rocket signal for the squarebody crewcab and blast trailer. I'm sure Clutch could use a vacation from whatever disaster he happens to be in the middle of right now.
Corrected that for you cause you know he speaks Oldsmobile. Like to hear to see how he's coming along with that & the Olds fleet.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Be careful with that Rocket signal. I hear it attracts Canadians.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Be careful with that Rocket signal. I hear it attracts Canadians.
Yes, it does....
1681516013164.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Must be Alberta. RCMP around here prefer dark blue and bullet resistant vests unless they are in procession to honor one of their fallen. Don't honestly see much of them as they are the federal police and for us the local variant is the equiv of state police only they get to be called the OPP, for Ontario Provincial Police, plus a few other epithets using the same starting letters....................................

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Earlier this week I rolled the car out, removed the rear bumper and trim and blasted the one side of the trunk lip. However, it was very slow going. Initially I was using coal slag but switched to aluminum oxide because the coal slag just wouldn't cut through the rust. I did eventually get the passenger side mostly done but it wasn't as fast or efficient as I'd hoped.
View attachment 219147
View attachment 219148 View attachment 219149
Irritated by my lack of progress with that, I cleaned up the media and used some Prep and Etch to clean to up some of the lighter surface rust inside the trunk. It works well for that use but I'm going it need something more aggressive to clean the heavier rust.
View attachment 219145

View attachment 219146
This process is going a little too slow for my liking. I can't bring myself to POR-15 over everything nor can I bring myself to pay someone to blast it for me. So I'm leaning toward renting a big diesel powered trailer compressor and a bigger sandblaster, buy the media and have a long, messy weekend blasting all of the PITA areas. It'll still be expensive but probably will be the best compromise between price, speed, and effort. I'm gonna start calling around and getting rental rates.
Saw your first pic and immediately the bells and chimes starting ringing. From that perspective I could easily see the roof being sectioned and moved ahead. At that point you have an instant 65 Buick El Camino!! Still a lot of grafting work to do to complete the move but a slick looking hauler that will totally baffle and amaze the lookie-lou's.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Just wanted to give an update. Project isn't stalled, but I've been trying to coordinate a weekend to do some blasting. My uncle has a tow behind compressor he's willing to lend me and a neighbor of mine has a decent sized pressure pot blaster I can use. I just need a weekend with some good weather and no other obligations. I ordered a gallon of Eastwood after blast which is supposed to prevent flash rust after blasting. Probably going to use coal slag media for cost reasons.

Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just wanted to give an update. Project isn't stalled, but I've been trying to coordinate a weekend to do some blasting. My uncle has a tow behind compressor he's willing to lend me and a neighbor of mine has a decent sized pressure pot blaster I can use. I just need a weekend with some good weather and no other obligations. I ordered a gallon of Eastwood after blast which is supposed to prevent flash rust after blasting. Probably going to use coal slag media for cost reasons.
Marty Mcfly Jennifer GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

And this from a guy who hasn't started his body work yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just going to drop this here....

Screenshot_20230517_015759_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor