BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, great flick. You gotta watch it some time.
I'll make an effort to watch it sometime.
Nah, just give 'im to the Marines for a while.

Nick
Yeah that steady diet of crayons really does keep them in shape.
I'd have to agree..no better time then now, do it while in your in there, and down the 🐇 🕳 we go...
I'm gonna say this with a disclaimer: I'm no expert, so look into it/talk with your primer manufacturer to make sure.
And Im not sure if its every kind of epoxy primer, but I've been told never put any acid based converter under epoxy primer.
The guy that runs my local paint store and Barry from spi epoxy were both adamant about this.
He told me If I wanna use a converter, pick a different primer. Neutralized ospho is ok. I used it in a few spots, haven't had any issues with peeling but you can't just leave it on dry and epoxy over it.
I have a few spots on my car that had rust like that. I got it off as best I could but it definitely had a thin layer of rust in spots(basically the same area as you). After stripping best I could, I sanded with 80, w/g remover, and layed down 3 wet coats of epoxy. I'd be willing to bet it's gonna last as long as everything else does, As long as water/moisture can't get to it from the backside.
I have read this and because of it I am slightly hesitant to go balls out using phosphoric acid products but I don't really have a better solution. I know SPI gives very specific instructions for rinsing and neutralizing Ospho. They say to rinse it off with a lot of water while it is still wet and scrub with a scotchbrite. I'm using Transtar stuff which is what I've always used and while I've had no problems with Rust Mort before, I haven't used Ospho with it so I'll be getting in touch with their tech department.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
joe pesci youths GIF

Joe Pesci GIF

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Earlier this week I rolled the car out, removed the rear bumper and trim and blasted the one side of the trunk lip. However, it was very slow going. Initially I was using coal slag but switched to aluminum oxide because the coal slag just wouldn't cut through the rust. I did eventually get the passenger side mostly done but it wasn't as fast or efficient as I'd hoped.
20230410_132904.jpg

20230410_133104.jpg
20230410_132920.jpg

Irritated by my lack of progress with that, I cleaned up the media and used some Prep and Etch to clean to up some of the lighter surface rust inside the trunk. It works well for that use but I'm going it need something more aggressive to clean the heavier rust.
20230413_161642.jpg

20230413_161648.jpg

This process is going a little too slow for my liking. I can't bring myself to POR-15 over everything nor can I bring myself to pay someone to blast it for me. So I'm leaning toward renting a big diesel powered trailer compressor and a bigger sandblaster, buy the media and have a long, messy weekend blasting all of the PITA areas. It'll still be expensive but probably will be the best compromise between price, speed, and effort. I'm gonna start calling around and getting rental rates.

Reactions: 7 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Earlier this week I rolled the car out, removed the rear bumper and trim and blasted the one side of the trunk lip. However, it was very slow going. Initially I was using coal slag but switched to aluminum oxide because the coal slag just wouldn't cut through the rust. I did eventually get the passenger side mostly done but it wasn't as fast or efficient as I'd hoped.
View attachment 219147
View attachment 219148 View attachment 219149
Irritated by my lack of progress with that, I cleaned up the media and used some Prep and Etch to clean to up some of the lighter surface rust inside the trunk. It works well for that use but I'm going it need something more aggressive to clean the heavier rust.
View attachment 219145

View attachment 219146
This process is going a little too slow for my liking. I can't bring myself to POR-15 over everything nor can I bring myself to pay someone to blast it for me. So I'm leaning toward renting a big diesel powered trailer compressor and a bigger sandblaster, buy the media and have a long, messy weekend blasting all of the PITA areas. It'll still be expensive but probably will be the best compromise between price, speed, and effort. I'm gonna start calling around and getting rental rates.
And your neighbors will love you :ROFLMAO:

I say go all out and see if the rental place will throw in a couple free sodium worklights so you can get in a good long day while you have the rental. I think most places the noise ordinances are suspended between around 6am till 9pm.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Time to send up the bat signal for the squarebody crewcab and blast trailer. I'm sure Clutch could use a vacation from whatever disaster he happens to be in the middle of right now.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Time to send up the bat signal for the squarebody crewcab and blast trailer. I'm sure Clutch could use a vacation from whatever disaster he happens to be in the middle of right now.
Anybody heard from Eric? He hasn't been on here for quite some time.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Anybody heard from Eric? He hasn't been on here for quite some time.
He was the first one I thought of when the blasting came up, but, he hasn't been around in a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Sure hope he's doing okay.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor