BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You should paint it metallic mint green.

i001940.jpg

7gt08q.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I love the 64 Skylark. I love the 64 F85 olds too. I’d be all over either one!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
You can do it. I got my 5'9" 250 lb fat a$$ in the trunk of Sean's 78 Camaro. I think getting out was harder.
I'll suck my gut in but I don't want to have to call the fire department to get me out 🤣
Seeing both pic 4 and pic 5, this might be the perfect time to go after the surface rust on those brackets and those upper wheel well curves. For values of the term, they are about as much out in the open as they will ever be so slathering a coat or two of Ospho or RustMort or Concrete Etch on them, neutralizing it as specified, and then throwing some epoxy primer or ??? at the surfaces afterwards would go a long way towards future peace of mind once you get that panel fitted in and secured.

Nick
Planning on addressing it. I'm gonna do some blasting when I get nice weather and I plan on blasting the trunk jamb and maybe some of the inside of the trunk. I'll scrub the light stuff off with the Concrete Etch and a red scotchbrite. I'm not too sure where I'll go from there.
Option 1 would be get a helper and use a cherry picker.
If I ever get so fat I need a cherry picker to lift me up, I authorize you and anyone else to put me out of my misery.
You should paint it metallic mint green.

i001940.jpg

7gt08q.jpg
I'm embarrassed to say it but I've never seen the movie. Now I've gotta watch it.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I love the 64 Skylark. I love the 64 F85 olds too. I’d be all over either one!
I'm partial to the '64 GTO but I'm a Buick guy and they all kinda look the same if you squint.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If I ever get so fat I need a cherry picker to lift me up, I authorize you and anyone else to put me out of my misery.
Hmm... well, in that case, the method if execution I choose is to lift you in the air suspended by a chain, looped over a beam, with a McDonald's playground slide to the ground.

Ideally after you are forced to stop eating for a while you lose enough weight to pull yourself up the chain to the beam. Then, you will either have lost enough weight to fit down the slide, or, have to continue to wait until you fit thus losing the last required weight.

Once you're at ground level you can resume gaining weight until we need to repeat the exercise.

My guess is after 4 or 6 attempts you'll just stop gaining so much weight we need the cherry picker.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm embarrassed to say it but I've never seen the movie. Now I've gotta watch it.
Marisa Tomei's performance is considered legendary (she won an Oscar for it) and Joe Pesci does his Joey Gallo/Callo alias justice (and not the Minnesota Twins' baseball player with the same name). One of my favorite comedy movies. If you don't mind colorful language, watch the unedited version for best results, especially when she gives her opinion whether Vinny's pants are suitable for going deer hunting.

Every time I see Joey Gallo playing baseball, I think of the movie. Not like he's ever been razzed about it a million times. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hmm... well, in that case, the method if execution I choose is to lift you in the air suspended by a chain, looped over a beam, with a McDonald's playground slide to the ground.

Ideally after you are forced to stop eating for a while you lose enough weight to pull yourself up the chain to the beam. Then, you will either have lost enough weight to fit down the slide, or, have to continue to wait until you fit thus losing the last required weight.

Once you're at ground level you can resume gaining weight until we need to repeat the exercise.

My guess is after 4 or 6 attempts you'll just stop gaining so much weight we need the cherry picker.
Nah, just give 'im to the Marines for a while. By the time they are done with him, he'll wish he really was dead but be a lot thinner and healthier.

Nick

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Seeing both pic 4 and pic 5, this might be the perfect time to go after the surface rust on those brackets and those upper wheel well curves. For values of the term, they are about as much out in the open as they will ever be so slathering a coat or two of Ospho or RustMort or Concrete Etch on them, neutralizing it as specified, and then throwing some epoxy primer or ??? at the surfaces afterwards would go a long way towards future peace of mind once you get that panel fitted in and secured.

Nick
I'd have to agree..no better time then now, do it while in your in there, and down the 🐇 🕳 we go...
I'm gonna say this with a disclaimer: I'm no expert, so look into it/talk with your primer manufacturer to make sure.
And Im not sure if its every kind of epoxy primer, but I've been told never put any acid based converter under epoxy primer.
The guy that runs my local paint store and Barry from spi epoxy were both adamant about this.
He told me If I wanna use a converter, pick a different primer. Neutralized ospho is ok. I used it in a few spots, haven't had any issues with peeling but you can't just leave it on dry and epoxy over it.
I have a few spots on my car that had rust like that. I got it off as best I could but it definitely had a thin layer of rust in spots(basically the same area as you). After stripping best I could, I sanded with 80, w/g remover, and layed down 3 wet coats of epoxy. I'd be willing to bet it's gonna last as long as everything else does, As long as water/moisture can't get to it from the backside.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor