BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
One more reason why I don't like blasting. I know more than one person who have had panels destroyed by blasters.

To be fair though, the area in question is a high strength area with all those factory bends in it and will not be prone to any sort of distortion caused by a little spot blasting. The effects will be negligible. Large flat areas like a hood or quarter panel, most definitely. I still stand by my original recommendation, mess be dammed.

Messes can be cleaned up, good clean metal is forever. (Almost).
😅

Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
To be fair though, the area in question is a high strength area with all those factory bends in it and will not be prone to any sort of distortion caused by a little spot blasting. The effects will be negligible. Large flat areas like a hood or quarter panel, most definitely. I still stand by my original recommendation, mess be dammed.

Messes can be cleaned up, good clean metal is forever. (Almost).
😅

No I totally agree. Warpage would not really be an issue with the panel in this case; you'd have to do something pretty stupid to warp the inside of a decklid. I did attempt to grind the lip clean with a fat grinding wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder but it felt a little too aggressive. Of course the Harbor Freight 5 miles from my house doesn't appear to have the spot blasters in stock, so I may wind up going with the small pressure pot blaster they have. I should be able to run it at decent pressure but my compressor will be running continuously; not like I'm doing a lot of area though. Wednesday or Thursday look like the best weather days this week, so maybe I'll pull it outside and make a mess. I'll probably tape off as many of the openings in the panel as I can with duct tape to avoid getting media inside the decklid.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012

Something like that could work, just have to be careful not to get too aggressive with it.

I rode over to HF today and went back and forth over what I wanted to buy. I really didn't want to dump $90 into the pressure pot blaster so I walked out with the the $35 siphon feed one. If it warms up enough later this week, I'll give it a shot. I think I've still got about 30 pounds of glass bead here that I'll use with it.
20230314_200025.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Interesting. HF has a branch in the Burning Tree Mall. Might be something to score if I manage to get that far south this spring. D'ya think it would work with soda??

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Interesting. HF has a branch in the Burning Tree Mall. Might be something to score if I manage to get that far south this spring. D'ya think it would work with soda??

Nick

I've never soda blasted but I don't see why not. They do sell a purpose made soda blaster. A lot of what HF sells is junk but I could easily spend a few paychecks there. I've never been to a Princess Auto but I've heard they are like Canadian Harbor Freight. If you've got one of those nearby you might find something similar there.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The sign says Princess Auto but a lot of their inventory is anything but Auto; they are sort of a global what not shop that diversified from cars to to other stuff. The nearest one is in WPG Man, the next prov over and a days run from me just to get there on a nasty sh*tty stretch of two lane that thinks it is a national highway and that likes to wreck semis to prove it. Duluth MN is only a 180 mile run and I can be there and back in a day, even with the border to cross.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've never been to a Princess Auto but I've heard they are like Canadian Harbor Freight.

This is pretty much my understanding as well Joe. We have Princess Auto here, but not Harbour Freight. But from what I’ve seen, the two are pretty much interchangeable.

Hope that blaster works well for you, this is the exact one I have:

6266F7C0-FECD-4089-8869-EA0E53E8CEEA.jpeg

It works ok, the recovery bag leaves something to be desired as it doesn’t seal very well, and if I could change one thing, it would be to make the interchangeable tips out of a softer material so that they conform to the surface better. But it does the job.

Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No I totally agree. Warpage would not really be an issue with the panel in this case; you'd have to do something pretty stupid to warp the inside of a decklid.
One thing I've learned about working on your own junk. Never underestimate your abilities to totally screw something up in entirely new and inventive ways.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I thought you already had a qjet. Didn't I send you a baseplate?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor