1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Ya gotta wonder if they had tried to put rod bearings in it and put the caps back on all wrong afterwards.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That is rare and lucky.... around here, rubber mats trap needles/leaves and water underneatg, leading to rot a few years later.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sounds like it would be easier to just yank the engine and run through it with known good parts and assembly procedures rather than dick with trying to fix it in the truck.

• Agree

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Sounds like it would be easier to just yank the engine and run through it with known good parts and assembly procedures rather than dick with trying to fix it in the truck.

I'm going to do a cursory examination with some plastigauge and feeler gauge later this week. I monkeyed around with just a couple of the rod pairs and the two I touched had moved on the journal. I'm hoping he got two caps on the wrong rods and that is the cause although I still may just yank it out anyway to clean and detail the front frame/underhood area.

Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Been working out of town this week but had 15 minutes to get under it with a screwdriver, ratchet, and pliers. Playing a hunch(or common sense) I tried to loosen the one cap that was easily available, wow, it was way too tight! I loosened two more caps and voila! The crank turns! I went ahead and rotated the engine over and pulled all the flexplate bolts too.

Next plan of attack is loosen all the rod caps and re-torque to spec then give it a whirl.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Any chance the rods/caps are numbered?

• Agree
  • Optimistic

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Any chance the rods/caps are numbered?

Exactly zero chance, I've looked them all over.

Plan is to loosen all, re-torque with current bearings, spin over by hand and see what happens. Worst case is it's locked up again but then I know they swapped a few caps and out comes the engine to pull all caps and match to rods. Best case is that it all goes well and it turns over fine then I try to start it. THEN I pull out the engine to detail and paint it. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor