1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Those truck's were rot boxes, hopefully the floor is good under the rubber mat. Also check the rear frame rails for cracks. That paint buffed out nicely and overall it looks in very good shape. With the unpadded cab like that one, my 78 was unbearable with headers and glass packs. I added a H pipe, which helped slightly, then a second pair of mufflers made it acceptable. Touch up that rust spot on the fender, paint the mirrors and front bumper with aluminum paint and it will look good, despite the horrible 70's barf yellow.

It has random rot here and there, wasn't worried as they make nearly every panel you can think of for these and I own a welder and love cutting things up. That was partially why I bought this series of truck. Anything that was white originally is staying white, call me weird but I like the barf gold(Spanish Gold).

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Good news and not so great news and goo news. I picked up a new battery today(damn they are getting expensive), dropped it in the truck, removed fuel line from carb, and power from coil. Click. Nothing. sh*t, the engine is locked up. Good news is when I got under it to try and turn it over by the flywheel the original TH400 is still in the truck. Sooooo, I'm going to throw PB Blaster down all the cylinders and let it sit to see if I can free it up first before I jump in and pull the engine/trans in one piece. Not too big of a setback, I had planned for the worst(pulling the engine) when I bought it anyway.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Somehow I thought it was already running....

Sounds like you need a nice 292 in there....

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It has random rot here and there, wasn't worried as they make nearly every panel you can think of for these and I own a welder and love cutting things up. That was partially why I bought this series of truck. Anything that was white originally is staying white, call me weird but I like the barf gold(Spanish Gold).
It actually doesn't look bad. I get the white, keeping it original looking.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It actually doesn't look bad, there were worse colours in the 70's. I get the white, keeping it original looking.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Damn it Jim! I thought it was running and driving.

• Agree

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I guess I spend all the time cleaning everything and making things right before I turn wrenches. #OCD

The engine? Tis' only a flesh wound!

Ultimate plan:
Get original/new engine running and driving with AC
Clean and repaint all under hood items
Clean and polish original outside paint, fresh paint on all white parts.

If the wife has to work this weekend the engine/trans could be pulled by Sunday......along with the front clip for degreasing and painting.

Of course my friends said that I do have a 5.3/4L60E sitting in the garage doing nothing....

And I said there was an 8.1 on Craigslist for $1800..........

I'm in for $1,000 for the truck, $175 for a battery, and my plan is to be running and driving for under $2K all in.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm hoping the best for the engine that's in it, just for the sake of simplicity. If it doesn't work out, my vote is 455 Olds. I always thought they would have been a great truck engine.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'm hoping the best for the engine that's in it, just for the sake of simplicity. If it doesn't work out, my vote is 455 Olds. I always thought they would have been a great truck engine.

Stump pulling torque, yea, that works, what's not to love? I wish I had the original 454 in it despite the fact it was neutered.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor