Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is awesome info, good to know.
Like many others, I’ve always found it annoying that the fan comes on low as soon as the key is turned to the first position. The next time I have that part of my dash apart I’ll be making that modification.
Thanks guys.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
This is awesome info, good to know.
Like many others, I’ve always found it annoying that the fan comes on low as soon as the key is turned to the first position. The next time I have that part of my dash apart I’ll be making that modification.
Thanks guys.
That’s great!

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
Which bolts (Behind the Bumper) are the ones that remove the bumper? Going to be painting my Malibu up here soon, and I am trying to figure out which remove the Front and Rear Bumper. Awesome job! :love:

The wires sticking out of your radio looked similar to what I have going on with the Malibu. Which radio did you purchase for the Wagon? I may want to get something similar. Thanks, Loving the work you have done here thus far.:cool:(y):love:.
There’s a really tricky bolt that goes through the frame.

Attachments

• 92A96C90-F708-40C0-9102-230AD192D997.jpeg
    92A96C90-F708-40C0-9102-230AD192D997.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • 93F6E285-B9CC-42FF-A043-CCC6F128948C.jpeg
    93F6E285-B9CC-42FF-A043-CCC6F128948C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 175
  • 0178425B-5A9C-4CF1-AAEF-41ABD9643D57.jpeg
    0178425B-5A9C-4CF1-AAEF-41ABD9643D57.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 167
  • E174BA58-2BA8-4EF9-84C7-6923F1013CBE.jpeg
    E174BA58-2BA8-4EF9-84C7-6923F1013CBE.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 93819CC2-34F1-402A-AD37-7CD17EB8FE96.jpeg
    93819CC2-34F1-402A-AD37-7CD17EB8FE96.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 163
  • EE336789-25CF-49DA-8C13-26F31618489B.jpeg
    EE336789-25CF-49DA-8C13-26F31618489B.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 175
  • AC42BCB4-D87A-4D79-87BE-EAB345B04244.jpeg
    AC42BCB4-D87A-4D79-87BE-EAB345B04244.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 184
  • Useful
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I just got an El Camino rear bumper yesterday at the wrecking yard, I attempted to first loosen the three bolts indicated in the above photos. When I was unable to get my wrenches on the upper bolts, I switched gears and went with the four bolts in a square pattern. I was able to loosen those 8 bolts enough to use a sawzall to cut the ones that did not break off. The backing plate for the four bolt attachment has studs pressed in, you might want to use a saw as a last resort. The heads of those studs are a low profile, I don't know how much clearance between the studs and the taillights. Since your's is not a wagon or El Camino, your bumper might be a little different.
Looking at the above photos, I would not have known about the small "el" bracket, and I would have been baffled trying to remove the bumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I just got an El Camino rear bumper yesterday at the wrecking yard, I attempted to first loosen the three bolts indicated in the above photos. When I was unable to get my wrenches on the upper bolts, I switched gears and went with the four bolts in a square pattern. I was able to loosen those 8 bolts enough to use a sawzall to cut the ones that did not break off. The backing plate for the four bolt attachment has studs pressed in, you might want to use a saw as a last resort. The heads of those studs are a low profile, I don't know how much clearance between the studs and the taillights. Since your's is not a wagon or El Camino, your bumper might be a little different.
Looking at the above photos, I would not have known about the small "el" bracket, and I would have been baffled trying to remove the bumper.
Actually, your gbody is a wagon. My bad for forgetting the title of this thread.

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
I can’t speak to the rear it may not be the same configuration

Reactions: 1 user

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
So maybe this is the anatomy of how threads DIE! However I will not let that happen! Rest assured you haven't seen the last of me!....

Synopsis, the car runs. It is pretty fun, but still needs work

Some fun things have happened! I more or less broke the trans, the oil pump broke. Why? Because it's critically important to make sure it's seated right. To make a long story short: I had the car running, I drove it around a bit (fine), then it went KKERTHunk, and wow! My transmission was broken. Neutral all over. Friends and family thinking I suck ect. PRETTY GOOD! I had spun that thing till I was blue thought it was there but obviously not. Reminder to all, DON'T BE ME!!! If your torque converter seems too close to the trans, it is. Stop what UR doing and start over.

I knew what happened but couldn't do much about it because of logistical reasons. Being a full adult in a residential neighborhood already having done the maneuver one time I felt it may have been impractical/politcal suicide to R&R engine and trans in my neighborhood driveway a 2nd time.

Luckily I have a guy and the internet.....

I had my friend Nick at faction automotive line up to R&R the trans (mostly to save face in the neighborhood) https://www.facebook.com/factionautomotive/, and had the replacement TH350 shipped from Jeg's directly to his shop. It was a TCI "sizzler" transmission good for a supposed $475hp (FYI the guy didn't even laugh when I asked if it come with all u can eat salad bar). Just to hedge my bets I added too a "B&M 400000 (11") 2200-2600 RPM Turbo Torque Converter" He got it all installed at a reasonable price and saved me the headache and embarrassment of having people witness tool throwing tantrums when my shoulder goes to failure removing bell housing bolts #money well spent. Also I have a spare trans that needs an oil pump.

The motor is solid and strong but still am having some tuning issues. I ended up switching from the edelbrock carb to a holley street avenger (570cfm). It performs mostly ok, but I am still having some issues, mostly in the transitions. For eg... if you just JAM from an idle there's a slight bog (accel pump tuning). from a cruise if you JAM there occasionally is a lean pop. Timing is pretty tight with about 16 initial (w/vac advance) and running 35/36deg total (no vac), all in around 2800rpm.

Holy crap though! Beyond that, it's a beast! Hard to handle when it's over 3000rpm. I am happy with the performance I've garnered thus far! It's like a muscle car should, you're scared to go full on cause you may end up in the ditch HAHA!!!

I have to install hangers on the ex (3" dual btw) to replace the current situ before I can go wild. I also have a wideband O2 that need to wire in and see wth is going on with the couple of lean (or maybe it's rich) areas I still have while ripping. The body, well, needs paint. The interior, well, I wax and wane between full race or RV style with a queen bed in the rear.

MOSTLY though, I want this car to run like the proverbial (insert potentially offensive language here) thing (which may or may not have been "raped") and it's well on the way.

Everything works, but not perfect.

Oh also, I got new rims for the back. The OE rallye rims leaking air badly. The new look good but don't tuck because of the offset and reg street driving they're gonna scrape!

Please listen to the free rev it's glorious!!!

Attachments

• malibu5000.jpg
    malibu5000.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 118
  • rain.PNG
    rain.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 125
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor